Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
since the hitch is bolted to the trailer I think it is part of the trailer. Therefore tongue weight should include hitch. the weight of the hitch is being carried by the tow vehicle.
Al
Thanks. Im confident on the tow vehicle's capacity but concerned with my Airstream manual that says tongue weight can not exceed 1000 lbs. I don't have the manual in front of me but I believe the unloaded tongue weight is 760 and the ProPride is >200. I must be missing something. If the PP counts toward tongue weight, it sounds like I can't travel with anything in the trailer (propane, water, clothing, supplies, etc.). Confused....back to the manuals!!

(And I apologize for hijacking the thread....)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The relatively smooth underbelly, for ward of the axle/axles, acts as a wing.

Stick your hand out the window at 60 MPH and have the leading edge tilted slightly upward. Notice how the wind will apply enough force that wants to make your hand move upward.

If the front of the trailer is higher than level, then the wind that hits the underbelly can actually strive to further raise the front of the trailer.

Rearward of the axle/axles doesn't really matter because of the turbulance cause by the axle tubes.

Bottom line then, is keep the trailer level or slightly lower in front, when necessary.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Rich, If I discount the weight of the ProPride (I'm told on here that it's NOT counted as tongue weight, but I wonder), my tongue weight is about 850 pounds, or right at 10% of the trailer weight.
The answer to this is, "yes and no." As far as the trailer itself is concerned, it's not part of the tongue weight. But there is a difference between "tongue weight" and "receiver load capacity."

Most trailer owner's manuals call the "tongue weight" the actual load carried by the trailer tongue. Most tow vehicle owner's manuals call the reciver load capacity a "tongue weight." The two "tongue weight" terms are NOT synonymous. As an extreme example, if you put a cargo box on your receiver, and started filling it with bricks, you'd soon reach your tow vehicle's "tongue weight" capacity, even though you haven't hooked up a trailer tongue at all.

So, as far as your tow vehicle is concerend , consider the weight of the ProPride hitch as part of the receiver load capacity; it's still a weight supported by the reciever, even though it's not part of the trailer tongue.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
loaded or empty

reminds me of a old joke:
you're measuring with a micrometer - marking with a grease pencil and cutting with a chainsaw, it's not an exact science
evryone is stressing about .5 inch in reality when you are traveling down tha road your vehicle and trailer suspensions are going to travel up and down more than .5 inch. so there are times you are going to be cycling thru nose up and nose down more than you realize all the way to your destination. Towed thousand of miles for a living. .5 inch in reality is not going to matter. You can drive yourself crazy trying to find .5 inch and it is not going to matter. Drive it and see what the truck tells you. You will know in a very short distance which way works better for your setup
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
evryone is stressing about .5 inch in reality when you are traveling down tha road your vehicle and trailer suspensions are going to travel up and down more than .5 inch. so there are times you are going to be cycling thru nose up and nose down more than you realize all the way to your destination. Towed thousand of miles for a living. .5 inch in reality is not going to matter. You can drive yourself crazy trying to find .5 inch and it is not going to matter. Drive it and see what the truck tells you. You will know in a very short distance which way works better for your setup
Actually, I have driven it both ways, and each has it's problems. With the front lower, I actually had wind and highway rut induced instability issues. Not severe instability mind you, but not the stable tow I was used to with the previous GMC 3/4 ton truck.

With the front high, I noticed the rear dragging more often, an obvious difference. However, the instability seem reduced, but I drove a different route with different road/wind conditions.

Neither of these trips/driving problems were real issues, but I just like to get things, especially hitch and tow vehicle setups, as good as I can get them. Oh, and not really "stressing", just discussing. :-)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
An important piece of information was not mentioned.

When loaded for a trip:

Is the truck level when the trailer is attached?

Is there any change in the truck level between trailer nose high and trailer nose down?

Is there any difference in the truck front axle loading between trailer nose high or low?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
When loaded for a trip:

Is the truck level when the trailer is attached?
Actually, it's a little low in the rear because I removed the 1 1/2" of lifting blocks. Unloaded the truck with camper cover and other light weight stuff I allways carry in there, the fender measurement in the rear is 1" higher than the front.

Quote:
Is there any change in the truck level between trailer nose high and trailer nose down?
No.

Quote:
Is there any difference in the truck front axle loading between trailer nose high or low?
Not that I can measure with the tape, i.e. I adjusted the jacks on the bars in each case to get the same returned ride height as before attaching the trailer, and before you ask, no I have not weighed it.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The answer to this is, "yes and no." As far as the trailer itself is concerned, it's not part of the tongue weight. But there is a difference between "tongue weight" and "receiver load capacity."

Most trailer owner's manuals call the "tongue weight" the actual load carried by the trailer tongue. Most tow vehicle owner's manuals call the reciver load capacity a "tongue weight." The two "tongue weight" terms are NOT synonymous. As an extreme example, if you put a cargo box on your receiver, and started filling it with bricks, you'd soon reach your tow vehicle's "tongue weight" capacity, even though you haven't hooked up a trailer tongue at all.

So, as far as your tow vehicle is concerend , consider the weight of the ProPride hitch as part of the receiver load capacity; it's still a weight supported by the reciever, even though it's not part of the trailer tongue.
IMO, this is the correct answer. But my question was if Steve had any extra TW to move to the rear to lighten, and thus raise the front of the
AS. Sounds like...no is the answer. I'd opt for toungue down slightly.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Can you change the angle of the stinger and see how that effects the height?
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Steve,

When I changed to 16" tires, the tongue went down slightly, but not much. I was going to adjust the hitch, but three things changed my mind—I could detect no difference in towing and the front and rear trailer tires wore the same. I figured if the tires wore the same, the front and rear axles were happy. The 3rd thing was that it is a pain to adjust the hitch and I'd rather avoid it.

Andy's suggestion that air pressure under the trailer lifts the front slightly makes sense and maybe my trailer is perfectly level when I'm driving. I'll ask Barb to check it with a level next time we are going 60 mph.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Can you change the angle of the stinger and see how that effects the height?
Yes, I can change the angle of the stinger, but not something desirable to do with the ProPride as it will cause difficulties in some hitch/unhitch situations.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Steve,

When I changed to 16" tires, the tongue went down slightly, but not much. I was going to adjust the hitch, but three things changed my mind—I could detect no difference in towing and the front and rear trailer tires wore the same. I figured if the tires wore the same, the front and rear axles were happy. The 3rd thing was that it is a pain to adjust the hitch and I'd rather avoid it.

Andy's suggestion that air pressure under the trailer lifts the front slightly makes sense and maybe my trailer is perfectly level when I'm driving. I'll ask Barb to check it with a level next time we are going 60 mph.

Gene
Gene, Don't think the 16" tires/wheels have much to do with it because they were on the trailer with the GMC.

The adjustment on the ProPride is simply bar tention after the tow bar height and angle is set, so it's a simple matter to change, and try. It's the fact that one height is slightly too high, and the next one lower is slightly too low.

Sorry, I'm not buying the air under the trailer story because the air that goes under there is too turbulated after exiting from under the truck to make a significant difference. However, I will be anxiously awaiting Barb's report on the trailer's level at 60 MPH.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:

Sorry, I'm not buying the air under the trailer story because the air that goes under there is too turbulated after exiting from under the truck to make a significant difference. However, I will be anxiously awaiting Barb's report on the trailer's level at 60 MPH.
As I think about it, if the front of the trailer rises, the back of the truck has to also. However, does the front of the truck rise when you drive? Does this mean that if you go fast enough, the whole thing will leave the ground? If you see a traffic jam up ahead, how fast do you have to drive to go over the traffic jam?

I haven't told Barb yet about the experiment. Sometimes she's really stubborn about my ideas.

Anyway, the slight dip in the tongue when I changed tires and wheels didn't appear to make a significant difference.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i seem to remember 2air mentioning that the angle of the PP stinger can provide some 'in-between' height adjustment. you might want to send Sean an email and ask him.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
With our new Dodge Ram truck and ProPride hitch, after proper weight distrubution adjustment, we end up with the trailer 1/2" low in the front, or if I raise the drawbar to the next level, the trailer is 3/4" high in the front.

Of the two, which would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your input.

What's the distribution onto the TT? With WDH applied, at the TT wheels, each-by-each, from scale values?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
What's the distribution onto the TT? With WDH applied, at the TT wheels, each-by-each, from scale values?

Bingo...

Scale tickets...is the only way to accurately validate WD set-up. Level with proper WD is the goal.

1/2" low with proper WD wouldn't bother me at all.

Bob
Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Level Airstream after 16" wheel upgrade

When I recently went from 15" to 16" wheels I measured the airstream before and after the change. I started with the trailer level when hitched, and after the change the rear is now 1" higher than the front. So is that considered as 1/2" lower, since you would need to raise the front 1/2" to get the trailer back to level. I am confused trying to figure out if I should try to adjust the hitch, or if this is equal to the 1/2" lower people in this thread are saying is acceptable?

By the way, the front of the trailer didn't change height from this switch, just the rear, I guess because the axles are nearer the rear?

Looking forward to no more blowouts with these new michelins.

Thanks, Sandy
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
When I recently went from 15" to 16" wheels I measured the airstream before and after the change. I started with the trailer level when hitched, and after the change the rear is now 1" higher than the front. So is that considered as 1/2" lower, since you would need to raise the front 1/2" to get the trailer back to level. I am confused trying to figure out if I should try to adjust the hitch, or if this is equal to the 1/2" lower people in this thread are saying is acceptable?

By the way, the front of the trailer didn't change height from this switch, just the rear, I guess because the axles are nearer the rear?

Thanks, Sandy

Sandy,

See post #36, it all depends on CAT weights.

Bob
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post

Thanks, Sandy
You are in the same dilemma as I. One position is too low in the front, and the next is too high.

Yes, weights are very important, especially retuning the unhitched weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle, but it is also important because of the type of suspension they use, to level the Airstream. If the trailer is significantly low in the front, the front axle is carrying more weight than the rear, and vice versa. I know it's not practical, but it would be nice to have a more fine height adjustment on the hitch.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Use the RMA TIRE SERVICE manual, Chapter Four on how to properly weigh an RV.

FALR (Front Axle Load Restoration) is the ballpark number for WD hitch adjustment. But individual tire/wheel loads tell a more complete story . . one must be able to separate the wheels on a tandem (or tridem) axle trailer to best determine what hitch adjustment gives the closest to "equal" loadings.

With the FA closest to the "laden; unitched" value due to WD adjustment, THEN use the wheel weight values to do any fine tuning.

It also allows one to best dial in TV tire pressures, as that vehicle is dependent on Load per wheel (and the heaviest wheel on any axle) to optimize tire pressures for that axle (and within vehicle manufacturer guidelines; the doorpost sticker).

"Nose up", or "nose down", is not acceptable for a torsion arm suspended trailer. And it is a poor crutch for any other type where a little more investigation and adjustment is called for.

I know it's not practical, but it would be nice to have a more fine height adjustment on the hitch

Is the problem we all run into.

Thus a stack of scale tickets reflecting various loadings over time. There will be a range -- upper and lower limits -- to a dedicated rig with the same owners. Changing the load in either vehicle can change this somewhat.

One can also cut & re-weld the stinger on this hitch type to optimize WD once all other avenues have been explored.

As my yardstick I want best possible braking performance. This is "the test" as I see it. I want neither trailer axle to "load up" as equal performance from all brakes is desirable.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote