Old 01-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #15
AnEyeForTexas

1962 26' Overlander
Lockhart , Texas
No, I think mine is more a Door Dragger than a Low Rider. But it could sure use some pimping!

Old 12-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #16

Poway , California
Ball height

Did anyone confirm that a 19.5" ball height is a measurement from the ground to the top of the ball?

Old 01-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...me-Weights.pdf

The above link will give you the correct ball height for your trailer.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrum View Post
http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...me-Weights.pdf

The above link will give you the correct ball height for your trailer.
SORRY, but those charts is what the "off the production line" measurements are.

All torsion axles have rubber rods.

Those rubber rods start giving out even during production.

The older the trailer, the more the "give out", or failure if you wish.

If the trailer is not used for a couple of years, the rubber rods usually solidify, making the true meaning of a "torsion axle" USELESS. Those rods after they fail, will provide ZERO cushion for any road bumps.

In time, ball park 25 years, all torsion axles will experience RUBBER ROD failures.

When those rods start failing, THE BALL HEIGHT CHANGES, by up to 3 inches and sometimes even worse.

[COLOR="red"]The ONLY way that a true "ball height" can be determined is by measurement.[/color} That is level the trailer, then measure from the inside top of the ball mount, to the ground.

Compare that to the above charts and you will see that the numbers DO NOT MATCH.

Having a level trailer is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, when it has more than one axle. If not, then improper weights are on each axle. A tandem should have one half of the trailer weight on each axle, and the tri-axle trailer should have pretty close to one third of the trailer weight, on each axle.

When the weight is unbalanced, one axle will usually have it's weight rating exceeded, and the other axle, not nearly enough of it's actual weight carrying capacity.

This causes basically three things.

1. Loss of control because of improper weight distribution, because of sway.
2. Ruining of one axle
3. Begging for a tire "blow out" because of excess weight on one axle.

Improper weight distribution that causes a sway or loss of control, cannot be eliminated by any type of sway control on the market today.

The SUPER SAFE way to determine a ball height, IS TO MEASURE EACH TRAILER, regardless of age.

And yes, in time, the ball height actually decreases, therefore a periodic ball height adjustment is mandatory "ALWAYS", except for single axle trailers.

For those members on this Forums, that are safety conscious, please report back on this Forums, the ball height that you have that differs from the "out the door chart"

The object ??

To make others aware that ball heights are different for each and every Airstream, regardless of the year and/or length, or what someone else may measure for the same exact trailer.

Lets all gang up and bring SAFETY to the forefront for every Airstream and Argosy owners, for 2016.

Andy
Old 01-31-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Just remeasured my 1978 31' Sovereign. The chart says 19.5" ball height. Mine is now level at 18". Thanks Andy.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrum View Post
Just remeasured my 1978 31' Sovereign. The chart says 19.5" ball height. Mine is now level at 18". Thanks Andy.
Depending on how your hitch is set up, that 1 1/2 inch can make a huge towing difference.

Airstream still uses a 22 1/2 degree starting angle.

Some axle suppliers change that to 32 degrees, which raises the trailer a little higher than brand new, ball park 1 inch, because of today's higher profile tow vehicles.

Usually, when axles are replaced the overall height increase is right at 3 inches.

Andy
Old 04-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Woodland , California
Andy, thanks for your ongoing participation on the forum. My FC25 is towed by a Ford F250. When my trailer and truck are loaded for camping, I measure 17 1/2" from the bottom of the rear trailer frame to the ground and 16 1/2" from the bottom of the front of the tow frame to the ground. Should I try to get to 17" front and rear for completely level trailer or is the 1/2" drop OK? Jim