Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Ger

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Fort pierce , Florida
Hitch height

Hi, I'm planning to travel north tomorrow to pick up a 1972 31 ft Sovereign.
I plan to tow with 2006 F150 crew cab 5.4l. The truck came with the factory tow package and I'll install a brake control. My concern is that I've measured the height of the 2" receiver and it's 15.5 inches from the ground at center. The seller has agreed to sell me his hitch as the airstream has the factory sway/WD bars. The hitch, however has been used on a Chevy 3/4 ton with a receiver height of 20". It's not height adjustable, he had it fabricated in the 80's for his vehicle.
I'd like to use the hitch that's matched to the original system and thus have the stability that comes with it but I'm concerned about the height disparity. It will be a 1000 mile trip.
Is the 4-5 inch drop too much? I've towed all kinds of loads over the years, but not an Airstream.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger View Post
Hi, I'm planning to travel north tomorrow to pick up a 1972 31 ft Sovereign.
I plan to tow with 2006 F150 crew cab 5.4l. The truck came with the factory tow package and I'll install a brake control. My concern is that I've measured the height of the 2" receiver and it's 15.5 inches from the ground at center. The seller has agreed to sell me his hitch as the airstream has the factory sway/WD bars. The hitch, however has been used on a Chevy 3/4 ton with a receiver height of 20". It's not height adjustable, he had it fabricated in the 80's for his vehicle.
I'd like to use the hitch that's matched to the original system and thus have the stability that comes with it but I'm concerned about the height disparity. It will be a 1000 mile trip.
Is the 4-5 inch drop too much? I've towed all kinds of loads over the years, but not an Airstream.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Some of the mis-alignment is possibly caused by the rubber rods in the axles that have served their purpose and gone south.

The trailer should be as level as you can get it when towing it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Look at it from the other way

Forget about where previous owner had things. Level the trailer and measure the height of the hitch cup. I would guess it is about 18 in. Now take your truck to a place like tractor supply and get an insert hitch which will place the top of the ball at that same height.....there are many off the shelf drops to pick from. Put a correct size ball on that "stinger" and your set. You should now be essentially level. Sway control is another subject. You bought a trailer from that guy....he should have GIVEN you the sway control.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
There is no "Airstream factory hitch" that I know of. What the seller has is the hitch that was sold to him with the trailer by a dealer, and that seems to be a hit-or-miss proposition as far as proper setup and such. It's some other brand, and there's a good chance (if that brand is still in business) that they sell either an adjustable shank/head combination, or a fixed-drop head that's the right drop for your tow vehicle.

If not, you may be better off with an all new hitch that's not 40 years old.... there are a couple of decent choices in the $500ish range (and much less) and of course the two gold-standard PPP hitches in the 4-figure range.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Hi, newbie to AS. My AS is in getting some work done. I have towed twice, home from purchase and to Rv service. I travel two ways with my 2008 chev suburban 1500, either loaded for festivals or empty for vacation. I was told to load my car with as much weight as possible to set the hitch. I have a reese with WD bars and a sway bar. My other trailer sat high, wheels were below the floor. Now I am 5" lower. The loaded suburban is level, the As is level but 5" below suburban. That puts the bottom of the reece hitch pretty close to the ground. Is all that ok? Will I drag in roadway driveways? Thanks. Sbb
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Oh I forgot, will it make any difference in hitching and unhitching? I might not always be in a place where both car and trailer is level. It just seems low, but all is level. I change from festival level to vacation empty level by changing how many chain links I use. Thanks again. This is all confusing to me. Sbb
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote