Old 04-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hitch for Empty trailer

In two weeks I am taking my coach down to Texas (a nice 16 hour drive), and want options on towing hitches. The trailer is gutted, and the original tongue weight of 400 lbs is non-existent without interior furnishings. From what beginner told me, you need that front weight to have working sway control

I want to get what I need to tow it to TX, but will also need it to work when the trailer is refurbished with a new interior. Some have said don't get a sway/equilizer hitch since the coach will be very light.

What can anyone here recommend?

Steve

Old 04-20-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hitch for Empty trailer

Greetings Steve!

You are correct about the effectiveness of the Reese Dual Cam system relative to a coach with a tongue weight less than 400 pounds. I don't know what the particulars are on the Equal-I-zer brand hitch -- their hitch appears to work on a slightly different principle than the Reese so it may not have quite as high of a minimum hitch weight requirement.

Of course, there is always the option of a standard Reese weight distributing hitch with the friction sway control. I am not a fan of the friction sway controls as my experiences with two different brands has not been good; but I know of several who are absolutely satsified with their friction-type sway controls.

Good luck with your hitch decision!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Dual cam is definitely out without tonque weight. It may be so light you do not need anything. 22 foot is a pretty short trailer. It might get blown around by the wind gusts if there are any. Otherwise, just use a ball hitch and go as slowly or fast as the unit tells you it is safe.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
What scares me is the "What if a big wind gust hits me", "What if a semi sweeps past me and sends me into a fish tail".

Sounds like Reese is out. (What if I added sandbags up to 400lbs).

Unsure about the E-Q-lizer hitch, but who knows what to do from here.

I originally towed it from Champaign, Il over 3 hours away with NO ISSUES. I don't know if I should chance it going so far.

Steve
Old 04-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hitch for Empty trailer

Greetings Steve!

Just out of curriosity, I decided to check the Equal-I-zer website. There, the manufacturer suggests that the hitch is acceptable for boat trailers and trailers of all varieties -- there isn't any mention of minumum hitch weights. The page with this information can be found at:

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - Product Info - Compatibility

Equal-I-zer also has a link for questions, and it might be worthwhile to contact the manufacturer with your question to see what they have to say about particular weight ratings (that is how I finally obtained the information I needed prior to installing the Reese Dual Cam on my Minuet). The link for their technical contact is:

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - Support - Contact Us

I am inclined to believe that the Equal-I-zer may be a possible solution for your situation.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin

P.S.: As an added thought -- if your coach has a front mounted water tank that is still in place; traveling with it full may significantly increase your tongue weight.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Equalizer hitch uses friction just like a Reese without the twin cam but add the frictional dampener. You could use either. Your profile says you pull with a extended wheelbase Chevy Trailblazer. You should be fine with just the ball for that short run. It might help to throw a bunch of sandbags secured to the floor slightly head of the axsle That is what the GM engineering test showed about ten years ago when the performed a bunch of trailer stabliity tests and computer analysis.