Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
Hitch for 2017 Classic 30

Very excited to have placed our order for a 2017 Classic 30 today!

We've been following the forum and learning tons. Based on discussions we purchased a Silverado 2500 as our tow vehicle.

Next is the need for a hitch. Based on the discussions we were convinced that the ProPride was the way to go. The dealer told us that Airstream specifically prefers the Equal-I-Zer.

Anyone have experiences comparing these two options?
Joellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Hensley Arrow, absolutely the best way to go. No better hitch design on the market.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
There are a number of good hitch systems out there. Do your due diligence here on the Forums. The dealer telling you that is a good indication that he has absolutely no idea of what he is talking about. I have never heard that Airstream prefers any hitch, specifically or otherwise.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Hensley Arrow, absolutely the best way to go. No better hitch design on the market.
Hensley and ProPride share a very similar design and both are terrific hitches. We happen to have a Hensley which we bought before the ProPride came on the market.

I suspect that the dealer would like to sell you the hitch he carries in stock.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I don't know if Airstream prefers any hitch, never heard that one before and we are on our forth AS.

We do, however, use the Equal-Izer and like it, after using the Reese products for almost 40 years it's a nice change.

Enjoy, also in the forums I recommend you go down and look at the threads on the Classic as there is some pretty good info in there.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Did the dealer say an equilizer type hitch or an Equilizer brand hitch. Either way I've never heard AS choosing a specific hitch. Now my 1984 Avion specifically names either an Eazlift hitch or a Reese hitch in the owner's manual. But that's not AS.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago , Illinois
We just bought 2016 Classic in October - our dealer was very specific - they strongly recommended Propride - had shoulder surgery in Nov so haven't been able to go on a trip yet. But took it out to run it thru its paces - have a F350 powerstroke - drove smooth as silk - hit 70 and did not even know it - maybe it was my TV - maybe it was the Propride or most likely both - but never felt the AS and was driving in very strong crosswinds.
SMWASONMYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I've had both the Equal-I-zer brand hitch and now tow with a Pro Pride. Both do a great job, I prefer the Pro Pride overall though for a couple of reasons. I've pulled through some very strong cross winds in West TX with both hitches and the PP did a better job in controlling the trailer sway overall. Both on my FC25 and FC28. The one thing that the Pro Pride (or Hensley for that matter does) is it's design eliminates sway, where others typically offer friction based control of sway. Another key aspect for me was I carry various amounts of weight in my truck when towing the Airstream. With the Equal-I-zer you set it up with your normal fully loaded truck to get all the measurements correct. If you are towing at some point with a different load, heavier or lighter your setup cannot easily be adjusted. With the PP I can merely adjust my weight distribution jacks differently and then have the correct levels and setting for that adjusted weight.

Good luck in making your selection as it is your decision overall. Safe travels and enjoy your Airstream.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #9
Airstream Fan

2017 30' Classic
PARKVILLE , Missouri
2500 + Classic 30

Good choices you've made. We have about 12,000 miles on the same combination. A 2017 Classic 30 hitched to a Silverado 2500HD. The truck and trailer are so perfectly matched, I think any hitch would work well. But we went with the ProPride 1400 because that's what we had before and were used to.

What I like about the this setup is...

1. Almost infinitely adjustable spring bars with just a speed wrench. This helps during hitching (set the receiver to line up with the stinger). It also allows you to fine tune the ride easily.

2. The hitch is completely silent when maneuvering around.

3. Turning radius with the truck is reduced because the pivot is located further back. I appreciate being able to crank the steering wheel almost to the stop without worrying about the truck contacting the trailer.

4. More space to drop the tail gate or step over the hitch.

5. It absolutely prevents trailer sway when underway.

One other tip you can use during hitching: Before backing in, set your tailgate at 45 degrees by hooking the tailgate cable over the latch pin. The camera is then at the perfect angle to guide you back in. Makes hitching up a snap.

Rick Heiniger
rheiniger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #10

San Gabriel , California
Hello All,

Here is my two cents worth.

If you never plan on unhooking your Airstream I do think the Hensley and ProPride are the best at pulling (from what customers have told me) but I see them also taking the long'st to hook up their units when they are picking them up here on my lot.

My favorite hits of all are Reese dual cam but really you can't go wrong with Equal-i-zer the only bad thing about that is it does start making a lot of noise as they wear.

But I have never heard of Airstream Corp saying they like one hitch or the other. A lot of Airstream dealers like the Equal-i-zer as they are very easy to set up.

At the end of the day, I would say there is not "best" one just pros and cons and what pain points you want to deal with.

Hope this helps you and congrats on your new Classic
JeremyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #11
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyL View Post

If you never plan on unhooking your Airstream I do think the Hensley and ProPride are the best at pulling (from what customers have told me) but I see them also taking the long'st to hook up their units when they are picking them up here on my lot.

The Hensley and ProPride are no more difficult to hitch up than any other hitch. They are different but not more difficult if you follow the process correctly. I'd bet I could hitch one much quicker than any other hitch due to all the equipment being installed on the trailer and not needing to install the weight distribution bars every time you hitch up. There used to be a video on YouTube of a customer hitching up and being ready to roll in under 5 minutes. I have no idea if that's still there or not.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I enjoy hooking up our ProPride, very easy. Know that you need to align the receiver bar with the hitch box, then it will back right in and you can latch it up, and set the weight distribution exactly as you want it. Piece of cake.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWASONMYMD View Post
We just bought 2016 Classic in October - our dealer was very specific - they strongly recommended Propride - had shoulder surgery in Nov so haven't been able to go on a trip yet. But took it out to run it thru its paces - have a F350 powerstroke - drove smooth as silk - hit 70 and did not even know it - maybe it was my TV - maybe it was the Propride or most likely both - but never felt the AS and was driving in very strong crosswinds.
I'll bet that you're going through a long and painful recovery from a 'Rotator Cuff' surgery, like I am.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Hitch for a 2017 Classic

I currently have 2015 30 ft Classic and just ordered a 2017 33 Classic . I had a Hensley and it was a good hitch but too time consuming to hook and unhook. I took my Airstream dealers recommendation and went to an EZ lift. And I love it I tow with a 3500 GMC went on a 7000 mile western trip this summer some speed limits 80 mph and no sway. Less expensive than the Hensley raise the trailer and back under the ball and snap up 2 bars and ready to go.

The big things is you don't have to be concerned with the trailer or the truck being near level.

Just my personal experience

Enjoy your new unit

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWASONMYMD View Post
I'll bet that you're going through a painful recovery from a 'Rotator Cuff' surgery, like I am. (Same time)
Old 01-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Though I have used no other hitch, and therefore, have nothing with which to compare, I love my Blue Ox sway pro. Easy to set up, simple to hook up and seems to work very well, at least for my purposes.
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I like my Reese duel cam used with our ram, I had a Hensley, it was ok, too much trouble hooking up in unimproved camping sites , with uneven ground and at an angle,my 2cents ....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Whatever hitch you decide to go for; ensure that the installer uses a torque wrench to tighten the bolts to spec. How do I know???

When I had my 25'FC, I took it to Dave Franzi at HB Cycle in Kawartha Lakes, (great guys there), and purchased a Reese Dual Cam hitch, which he installed.
The hitch handled the FC quite well, and it was a good tow.

When I traded for the 30'er, the dealer's guys took the Reese hitch off the 25' and installed it on the 30'er.
During two trips the Ford wiggled like a silver fish escaping a hungry grouper. This on a four lane highway, not much wind.

I took it back to the dealer and had them remove the Reese, and they installed an 'Ezy-lift' with two friction bars. It works pretty decently, not perfect, but not bad.

Later on, I'm inspecting the A-frame, and I notice the four bolt holes open to the elements. I took the four Reese bolts, and tried to install them to fill up the holes; and they fell out. The holes were stripped. (I plugged them with other things.)

That's why the rig wiggled; the whole cam assemblies were loose.
The installer had obviously used an air powered impact gun, and rammed the bolts home, instead of using a torque wrench to tighten them.
The Reese Spec calls for 50 ft. lb. dry torque, not "Heart attack blue, plus a quarter".

So now I have a complete set of Reese Dual Cam hitch, that I cannot use, due to stripped bolt holes.
And I'm not comfortable using 'Heli-coils' to fix it.

Anybody need a Reese hitch? In Ontario? Cost me just over $1000; make me an offer.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
1. Since you bought a Classic, it seems like money is not an obstacle. 2. If you are concerned about spending about double, look at something other than the ProPride. 3. There are many "solid" hitches out there. I guess if a person owns a ProPride, and spent that kind of money, they better be satisfied with it. However, a friend bought a PP and didn't get the hang of lining it up on uneven surfaces. He was totally frustrated. His PP is sitting in his garage as he changed to another make. 4. I couldn't afford the cost of a PP (and was looking seriously) and went with an Equalizer. After 10 years and over 100,000 miles, many at interstate speeds over 70mph, with head winds , side winds, trucks, buses etc., I couldn't be more pleased.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Goode , Virginia
I had a Equal-I-Zer on our 23' AS and now have a ProPride on our 27' As. The Equal-I-Zer Has fine on the 23' but the 27' with the ProPride is like towing nothing. As a Mechanical Engineer I did a lot of investigation of both the Hensley and ProPride and came to the conclusion that the improvements on the ProPride and the great reviews from people that had used both that the ProPride was the hitch for me. Sean is outstanding to work with from ordering to installation tips.

I found that our dealer didn't have anyone that had installed a Hensley or a ProPride. So, I installed it with help from my wife in the dealer's lot. Only took 2 Hours and that was because it was 102 that day.

Hitching and unhitching isn't any more time consuming than the Equal-I-Zer. Getting the correct weight distribution setting did take a little time.
SMLJeep is offline   Reply With Quote