Old 10-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Nachtmerrie? A nightmare? I'd say so!

Ik kan niet het Nederlands spreken - lezen ook niet.

That old Ebay hitch is a Class 1 - good for 900 kg, probably.

You might consider ordering a receiver tube (shipping any more steel than that would be costly) and having the rest constructed by your welder friend, as long as EU rules allow that.

See Reese Receiver Tubes & Extensions - you can order tubes up to 48" (1.2 metres) long. The tubes are made of 2.5" (6.35 cm)square tubing with 0.25 inch thick walls. Ball mounts use 2" square bars that slide in. The inside corners of the receiver tubes are reamed square to accept a solid square bar, so not just any 2.5" tube will work.

The receiver tube can be easily cut to length, but should be as long as reasonably possible to resist the torsional forces imposed by the weight distributing hitch. Yes, weld it together, but bolt it to the car.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Albert has the good info... I 2nd it!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
Apeldoorn , The Netherlands
Send a message via Skype™ to JimHoek
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
Nachtmerrie? A nightmare?
That's correct. a nightmare is 'nachtmerrie' in Dutch and means exactly the same. I wouldn't know what a female horse has to do with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
consider ordering a receiver tube (shipping any more steel than that would be costly) and having the rest constructed by your welder friend
Thatís about what I am going to do. Or at least, close to that.

I am going for a road trip alongside the West coast and intent to buy me a (second hand) hitch which will only require little cutting/welding to adapt it to the frame. Preferably it would be as wide or wider then needed. So after having it cut to size (width), my friend can weld the needed brackets on it. I have seen quite some hitches now and have a pretty good idea as how to ideally weld it together, making the carís frame stiffer too.

Shipping IS expensive, but I am shipping my Dodge Dakota to The Netherlands, in a dedicated Ocean container, so, thereís quite some room for extraís! Which is one of the reasons for my road trip anyway: gathering as much parts as possible.
Jim, WBCCI #3755 OCC #1580
The Netherlands
1959 Airstream 18ft Traveler
Avatar: 1957 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer D500
my pictures
JimHoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHoek

That's correct. a nightmare is 'nachtmerrie' in Dutch and means exactly the same. I wouldn't know what a female horse has to do with it...

Thatís about what I am going to do. Or at least, close to that.

I am going for a road trip alongside the West coast and intent to buy me a (second hand) hitch which will only require little cutting/welding to adapt it to the frame. Preferably it would be as wide or wider then needed. So after having it cut to size (width), my friend can weld the needed brackets on it. I have seen quite some hitches now and have a pretty good idea as how to ideally weld it together, making the carís frame stiffer too.

Shipping IS expensive, but I am shipping my Dodge Dakota to The Netherlands, in a dedicated Ocean container, so, thereís quite some room for extraís! Which is one of the reasons for my road trip anyway: gathering as much parts as possible.
Jim,

Does your Dodge have a unibody or is it body on frame? If it is unibody, you may find it difficult to adapt the hitch as it may take more that just cutting and welding.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Does your Dodge have a unibody or is it body on frame? If it is unibody, you may find it difficult to adapt the hitch as it may take more that just cutting and welding.
Bill
Hi Bill,
Happily, it does have a frame! Which also is very accessible for mounting brackets too.
The Netherlands
my pictures
Old 10-05-2007, 05:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Jim

We put a lot of hitches on cars like your Dodge way back when and still custom make most of our receivers. I am pretty sure your 57 is a unit body so a pick up hitch will not be much help to you.

If you can send some pictures of the car underneath from the axle to the bumper I can point out the proper places to attach the hitch.

If I did it right this should be a picture of something like you need to fabricate. This hitch is for a Subaru so yours will be longer.
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\My Documents\MyFiles\Photos\Tow Vehicle & Trailer\subaruwagon\Subaru Hitch[/IMG]
Andy
Old 10-05-2007, 05:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Ok so that did not work hopefully this does.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Subaru Hitch.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	585.3 KB
ID:	46570  
Old 10-05-2007, 06:32 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your offer!
I found some pictures I made of the underside, thought that would come in handy sometime...
Also, a frame figure scanned from the Shop Manual.
I thought it would be best to bolt it to the side frame beams and have brackets/hangers from the rear frame beam, from the bumper bracket bolts. The latter either between the bumper brackets and the frame or better, on the inside of that U-profile rear beam, so it won't move the bumper backwards.

Jim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1544.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	46572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1545.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	46573  

Name:	IMG_1590.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	46574   Click image for larger version

Name:	1957 Dodge Frame Dimensions - klein.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	46575  

The Netherlands
my pictures
Old 12-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
OK, meanwhile I've learned it's better called a hitch receiver, instead of a trailer hitch.
But anyway, I found something which is very usable: a Reese brand class III-IV so-called multi-fit. Part number 37042.
Depending on your car, it's a class III or class IV. I take it that with our cars it's a class III...
This is no longer available new, from Reese. But there's always one on eBay, NIB. They go for about $50. Shipping varies, but I paid $18 UPS ground. And BTW, it should come with the original bolts and nuts, because these are special high grade, not normally for sale at your local hardware store.
Width and mounting height are adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	N37042.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	51009  
The Netherlands
my pictures
Old 12-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Let us know how it installs, if it actually fits properly. I could not get one of those to fit on the '57 Pontiac Safari. We tried and the way the gas tank and spare tire well are located the hitch just wouldn't fit into place.

That's what drove me to a hitch shop who built one from scratch for $300. No complaints as I got a very heavy duty hitch that works perfectly for the car, but it would be nice to know that these multi fit hitches work on other fifties cars.

Thanks,
Merry Christmas
Barry
Old 12-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The multi fit hitch is not that impressive for your application and I think you will find it is not going to fit without a lot of extra work, fabrication of additional parts etc. I think the custom design in post #21 is much better and in the long run the way to go.

When our family had an RV business back in the late 50's and early 60's the custom receiver platforms that were made back then were alot like the one on post #21. A superior, and more effective design when transfering weight on a vehicle with a long overhang.

$300.00 for a custom platform is a good price. The one on my vehicle was more but the engineering and workmanship from Can AM was worth it.

Tags