Old 12-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I think I'm getting close now

We just picked up our new 77/31 AS (Avalanche 1500 with Michelin 10 ply tires TV). I have been reading the forums and talked to Reese for recommendations. I decided to go with the dual cam straight line model#66082. I bought it from Camping World and had there tec. install it. I towed the AS for about 200 miles with nothing, kept my speed down to 55 or 60. It actually did not feel to bad but wouldn't have wanted to do anything drastic. With the new Reese setup it tows amazingly well! I don't feel any push or sway with trucks passing. It tracks great through the turns. If money was no object I would have probably gone with the HaHa. So far I am very happy. I will keep reading and looking and maybe I will end up changing but for now it seems great I can't even fathom it being any better! I also am able to open the tailgate now while hitched up. This is a big plus for me because I want to be able to carry a motorcycle or scooter in the bed. I am planning on modifying a tailgate basically cutting the top or back corners off to allow for sharp turns with the tailgate down. Anyway thanks to everyones input and info here. It's been very helpful with this new adventure!
- Give karma

Old 12-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Have you concidered a Hensley hitch ?? This may solve 2 problems. A ha moves the the hitch bar back aprox 12" . Secondly this would correct the tendence to sway that will be magnified by just extending the shank. pieman

Old 12-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #17
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Is it at all possible to fit the bike in the trailer?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:33 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Bike in the trailer

Interesting that you ask. I my be able to fit one of our small scooters in through the door. But I met a guy with a 58 I think it was a 28'. he made a removable panel to the right of the door. It looked really nice. you had to look vary close to even seen the seems and used ss screws in a rivet pattern that when removed allowed for an opening about twice the door width! He was using it to haul a four wheeler. Thanks for the thought I will check it out for the scooters. Phil
Old 12-04-2006, 07:54 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Clancy_boy would get my vote. Folks that have used the AirRide hitch have mentioned abandoning it due to the significant flexing brought on by the extra length.

A more serious issue comes with failures and GM hitch receivers breaking. Extra stress sure can't be good for them! You may need to look further than this link, but I have been seeing it mentioned occasionally this last year.
I'm shocked by the Air Ride findings. I took a look at those fairly closely and in my case found that the extension was not all that much more than what I already have...though I'm not good a math, the measurements seems close.

The link to the RV.net site was a great link...of course after reading just the first 3 pages, I went out to the garage to look at what hitch my '04 has and it does not have the welded plate as was indicated on the 05s. It also seems that the flexing is not due to up and down which is where most of the movement comes from, but lateral movement in turns and such.

Am I concerned? Yup! Am I going to run out and swap hitches? Not yet. I've seen no issues so far, but if I do, I may opt to go with a Reese as I have on the SS.

Now to answer the question of the thread.... my answer would also be not to use an extender. For reasons I haven't thought of, but mostly due to what has been said here.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Hi Phil,

For another option , check out http://www.torklift.com/ .

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Link re gm hitch

Wow I just scanned through some of the posts on the link. looks kinda scary. I guess I will be looking at my hitch when I get home!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gobie
Interesting that you ask. I my be able to fit one of our small scooters in through the door. But I met a guy with a 58 I think it was a 28'. he made a removable panel to the right of the door. It looked really nice. you had to look vary close to even seen the seems and used ss screws in a rivet pattern that when removed allowed for an opening about twice the door width! He was using it to haul a four wheeler. Thanks for the thought I will check it out for the scooters. Phil
Hmmm, side loading A/S toyhauler.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Can you mount a front hitch? Wally did. Carried a scooter.
I was considering it until Irolled my truck. No Motorcycle for me for a while.
Hi, I bought this nice little motorscooter; made in Italy, 150cc motor Etc. Now Airstream says I can't mount it on the rear frame of the trailer. [too heavy] There is no room to put it on the hitch with the trailer hooked up. Still too heavy. [tongue weight] Finally I found a front hitch receiver for my Navigator; That will work, Right? No. The motorscooter will block my headlights and radiator. So our plan to take the motorscooter with us just won't work.
I also thought about a longer hitch. My lift gate won't open while hitched. I can only open the rear glass. A longer hitch would be like a longer lever against my receiver. Not worth the risk.

Bob
Old 12-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
Hitch Extension

http://www.blueox.com

A solution for carring a motorcycle can be found on this web site. One may need to get creative with installing a reciever on the rear of the airstream. A removable receiver could be designed which would provide access to the rear drawer.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:48 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Thanks Rebee
Old 12-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Lots of good answers already, but here's a real world example of why not to use an extension:

Years ago as a "green" tower, we got our first RV. It was a 16' or 17' Shasta. I pulled it with my Jeep TJ. No trailer brakes, no WD hitch, no sway bars, nothing but the receiver hitch - like I said, I was new to the world of towing. It seemed like the best of both worlds, I had a TV that could go anywhere unhooked, and it still fit all of my family in it. (I added a third seatbelt in the rear).
It pulled the trailer ok. Going up an incline at highway speeds was not possible. about 40mph was the best I could do unless it was relativley flat. Stopping was fine when I allowed myself plenty of time to do so. Stopping in a hurry proved to be scary when I had to do it.
What does all that have to do with an extension? As if I wasn't already pushing the limits with that setup, I wanted to take my TY350 with me also. I bought a hitch extension and fabricated a motorcycle carrier out of heavy U channel steel. (Not the cheap lightweight ones you can find premade today. This thing probably weighed 50 lbs on it's own) I bolted that to the extension, loaded my TY and then hooked up the trailer. The trailer sagged, so I pulled the 2" drop ball mount and reversed it. That seemed to be the ticket, I was back to level.
Off we went to Lion's Head up at Priest Lake. Pulled fine (read above) until we got there. Right before we turn off the main road, there is a bridge. At that time there was a huge pothole. I was following some friends, and didn't see it until we hit it at too high of a speed. That was the first straw in breaking the camels back.
Now we turn off the main road to the right and go up some old logging roads. We're not camping in the camp ground at Lion's Head, but up in the "wild". This road is not paved, and every so often there are berms across the road to aid in water runoff. Going over each berm was one more straw added. Going over the berms, the trailer sagged a little more each time until when we reached camp I was dragging a furrow thru each berm.
Picture the letter "V". One leg of the V was the trailer, the other leg was the Jeep. I'm sure I was already beyond the towing limits of the Jeep with the setup minus the extension and motorcycle carrier. The extension pushed the weight of the trailer to far out.
The receiver hitch did not break, each bump just bent/pushed it further and further down. When we reached camp, we were able to remove the motorcycle, then used a farm jack underneath the extension to lift the point of the "V" up, reversing the weight and bending the hitch back up and into place (well mostly ). I removed the extension, had some friends hook it to the back of their motorhome and haul my TY home for me. I never used the extension to tow again. I do use the extension/motorcycle carrier on the Jeep to take my bike up in the hills, but nothing else
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Yea I get your point! I am trying to stay just within the max staited limits on the equipment used. If I turns out we are useing and enjoying the AS I will be upgrading my TV. I also have another option with my work truck. It is a 3500 with a utility body & duramax/alison. I do a least have 10 ply tyers and I am suing a reese dual cam strait line hitch. I will probobly limit my bike to a 200cc vespa with the avalanche. Thanks for sharing. Phil