Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Wagon Master

2012 30' International
Sanger , Texas
Cool Hitch envy of w-d-phobia????

Ok, I'm going to get some more information to share with you, but I gotta tell you, I'm an elementary school Principal, not a hitch-master, so I'm gonna need some help figuring out my hitch requirements.

We bought an old, er, I mean vintage, soveriegn international, 1978, 31 foot, rear bath, and did a remodel. It has to meet the needs of the wife, English Bulldogs, beaches, mountains and, well, me.

That said, and mostly complete, I gotta hitch it up and get her to the beach. I have a wd hitch unit that someone gave me. The brackets were already on the tongue, so I've got this hitch and ball, tension bars and chain set up that I gotta get figured out. (Due process in suspending or expelling a child from school is easier). I've read several hundred posts, downloaded the super cool spreadsheet for figuring weights and things, and am exhausted with it.

I've got an 04 ford expedition with heavy duty tow package (no air suspension), 5.4 liter engine. Rated tongue weight 600lbs. Trailer GCVW +/-9000 lbs.

I'm thinking plent of room on the tow capacity, 20 lbs clear on the tongue weight w/o wd hitch. Drove it across town the other day and the front end of the Ford felt a little light. It's OK, I have the wd hitch. Specs on the hitch indicate: 750 lb hitch weight, 10k lbs trailer weight - both wihtin the limits of the airstream. So I think I'm all OK to hook this up...anybody with a differing opinion??

And finally, how do I crank those darn chains up and over the brackets or, er, after connecting the chains, lift the bracket up and over and lock it into place..................
kwoolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi kwool'

don't screw around guessing...

go weigh the rig.

get it right the first time.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ers-17984.html

and don't forget to adjust the tv tire pressures to accommodate the extra load of towing.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi,

Look at Blue Ox web site. It sounds like you have the same one as I do.I normaly hich up and leave the jack down far enough so I can hich easier. I go 4 links from the top of chain and hook up on the fith. You will also need a big bar to pull over lock.
The blue Ox web site will give you further instructions. I try to make sure that my tow vehicle and trailer are level.
Regards from Russell in Sunny and warm Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoolston
I've got an 04 ford expedition with heavy duty tow package (no air suspension), 5.4 liter engine. Rated tongue weight 600lbs. Trailer GCVW +/-9000 lbs.
Are you sure about the rated tongue weight? Most hitches are good up to 800 pounds, with weight distribution. Also, GCVWR of 9000 pounds is not enough, unless you have a uper-lightweight Expedition. Your Sovereign weighs at least 6000 pounds, and that only leave 3000 for the Expedition, you, your wife, dogs, fuel, and stuff in the trailer.
Quote:

I'm thinking plent of room on the tow capacity, 20 lbs clear on the tongue weight w/o wd hitch. Drove it across town the other day and the front end of the Ford felt a little light. It's OK, I have the wd hitch. Specs on the hitch indicate: 750 lb hitch weight, 10k lbs trailer weight - both wihtin the limits of the airstream. So I think I'm all OK to hook this up...anybody with a differing opinion??

And finally, how do I crank those darn chains up and over the brackets or, er, after connecting the chains, lift the bracket up and over and lock it into place..................
You would hook the chain into the hook on the lift bracket while it's lowered, and raise the bracket with a small piece of pipe or tool made for the job. Loack it in place with the little "G" clips that came with the WD bars.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Wagon Master

2012 30' International
Sanger , Texas
Too many numbers here.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Are you sure about the rated tongue weight? Most hitches are good up to 800 pounds, with weight distribution. Also, GCVWR of 9000 pounds is not enough, unless you have a uper-lightweight Expedition. Your Sovereign weighs at least 6000 pounds, and that only leave 3000 for the Expedition, you, your wife, dogs, fuel, and stuff in the trailer. You would hook the chain into the hook on the lift bracket while it's lowered, and raise the bracket with a small piece of pipe or tool made for the job. Loack it in place with the little "G" clips that came with the WD bars.
OK, you are right, GCWR is 14,500 and trailer weight is 8650 w/o wd hitch. With wd hitch, Trailer wieght goes to 8950 and wd hitch weight is 895. Again, takes care of my GCWR and wd hitch should be OK. Trailer weight on the plate says 7100.

Last and probably not least, the bars are Reese. I presume the hitch is too, but I can;t tell for sure. Some days, ya wanna just tkae it to the shop and let them do the whole thing...........eh?

Am I getting closer???? Hey, any problems with the kids in school, let me know. I owe you one!!

Bars are labeled Reese...not sure about the hitch - it's been painted.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Wagon Master

2012 30' International
Sanger , Texas
Thanks..........2air.........I've seen your name around quite a bit. You da' man. Thanks for all your help. By the way, shot over to another link, and they talked about earning rivets. Not that that is a goal, but how does that work?

By the way, you can see the AS at 1978 Airstream Sovereign International.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Thanks..........2air.........I've seen your name around quite a bit. You da' man. Thanks for all your help. By the way, shot over to another link, and they talked about earning rivets. Not that that is a goal, but how does that work?
In order to get and show your rivets, you have to remove the "1978 Sovereing" under your user name. After that, all you have to do is keep posting. You can accumulate up to 5 rivets, at which point you are a rivet master, at 500 posts.
Again, about the numbers of the trailer, they don't seem right. Our Sovereign has an updated GVWR of 7000 pounds, and that is with a pair of new, heavier capaicty axles. If yours weighs much more than that, something is out of wack.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
...By the way, you can see the AS at 1978 Airstream Sovereign International.
kwool...

nice remodel and fun 2 c via video...

with so many changes u really need to weight it.

for example, is the tongue still 10-15% of total mass?

this can really affect the dynamics while towing.

and while it's possible to get close just measuring height and using the spreadsheet...

there is no substitute for axle weights.

safe travels and fun camping are just down the road!!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
Wagon Master

2012 30' International
Sanger , Texas
OK, GVWR is 7100.............Factory trailer weight w/o options is 4850. This according to the owners manual - yeah, came with the trailer. The only thing I can think of as extra is the ac unit. we dont carry water at all when on the road and I've got the wife trained to keep the extra cargo down to nothing...

We usually run pretty empty and then shop, load the fridge, etc, after we get parked. Probably heavier coming home than when we leave.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
Wagon Master

2012 30' International
Sanger , Texas
Hey Russell,
We're up in Globe - Copper capitol of Gila county, at least. I'll look around and see if I can find someone working at the mine scales...........

If you ever go through, get a hold of me. If we get to San Carlos (Sonora) over Spring Break, I'll give you a holler..............I'f I can get the hitch figured out and finish up the brakes, we'll be ready to go........
Old 02-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
With every thing loaded it the trailer and truck should be level. Do the measurements before and after at the fenders.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
_

. , .
traveling with water is generally thought to improve the towing dynamics...

plus it's darn useful stuff!

r u still on the original '78 axles?

from the side view in your other thread,

those axles look low...

how'd inlandandy miss that thread

cheers
2air'

Old 02-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Love the video's, Kwool... couldn't of picked a more appropriate soundtrack than Eric Clapton to celebrate with. Good work!
Bill
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote