AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greenwood Village , Colorado
Wow, thanks for the many responses (though I won’t pretend to understand the math).

I don’t recall any especially rough roads towing home. Paved roads for the entire trip, including the campground (Aspen Glen next to the Beaver Meadows entrance).

I checked the trailer over this evening and didn’t spot any damage. So hopefully the injury was limited to the pins. I have a replacement set in hand.

I did as suggested and contacted Equalizer. Very friendly, and they had a couple of ideas. First, they wondered if something had come in contact with the spring arms - I don’t think so, but I guess it’s possible. They also said I should check the torque on the bolts that attach the spring arms to the hitch. Torque should be between 45 and 65 pounds. Haven’t done that yet, but on my list for later this week.

I should mention that I recently adjusted the hitch. Mine was also installed less than perfectly by the dealer (not a Denver dealer), so I tore it apart and adjusted to get a better ride. Leaving the dealer, I had a noticeable sag in the middle. I have it adjusted now so that the trailer is level, the rear end of the SUV (Sequoia) sits slightly lower than when unhitched, and the front end is unchanged. I have about 500 miles on the adjusted hitch and it tows much better. No issues before finding this problem.

I think I have the hitch set up correctly - my conversations with the manufacturer seem to confirm this. I’m going to give the setup a once over, tighten everything up (anyone else purchase an industrial torque wrench to get the 320 pounds needed for the shank bolts?), and take it for a short test tow to see what happens. Hopefully this was an isolated, one-off event.

Many thanks for the responses. Great group here.
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, looking at you picture makes me think that your spring bars are binding and the bars are either being pushed or pulled too hard for the pins. Or somehow something blocked the full travel of the spring bars, and the pin is the weak link. As for the "L" brackets sliding on the frame, you have the inner and outer brackets; The top bolt lays on the frame and the bottom bolt should be as close to the bottom of the frame as possible. This means moving your propane line downward a bit. When you tighten these bracket bolts, the brackets tend to bow. (I I) Like this. To prevent this, on the very bottom bolt hole, I made and installed a spacer out of copper tubing. The spacer is the same size as the thickness of my frame. With my copper tubing spacer installed in the bottom hole with the third nut & bolt through it, I can tighten the other bolts really tight without bowing the mounting brackets. When your mounting brackets bow, you only have four little spots holding them in place and they will move on your frame. If your mounting brackets are strait, the bolts are too loose. If your mounting brackets are bowed then the bolts are too tight. That is why I modified mine. Since I modified mine, They never move anymore.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by Randjg1 View Post
Ive been using equalizer over the past four years and on two different airstrams, a 19 and now a 27FB. In the 19 my L brackets kept bending and therefore bacame loose. After trading emails with equalizer i discovered my dealer installed it wrong. In that, the lower bolt holding the bracket snug to the frame was too low (to accomodate the gas line) this put too big a gap and leverage bent the L bracket. So on my new trailer i informed the dealer and they bent the gas line down a bit to make room for the bolts to be snug up to the frame. Havent had a problem since.
That is a common problem, and many dealers did do the installation improperly while attempting to avoid that gas line. My trailer is a prime example. Those of you with Equal-i-zer hitches should inspect that bracket. Once I informed my dealer of the situation, he offered to reinstall the bracket correctly.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I have a quick question - Are all of these hitches just Equal-i-zer or their new E2 WDH? I have the E2 and have not had any problems, but, I set it up myself and (as of yet) have not towed my trailer very far (200 miles). Next year though, look out lol.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote