Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Hitch Basics

Ok - so I've sent out 5-6 emails to dealers looking for a price on a 2014 or 2014 bunkhouse - we are getting really excited

Anyway....i know in reading that the question of choice of hitch is controversial - but I am hoping you could simply describe the differences in these to aid in my decision.

TV will be a 2010 Ram 2500 diesel.

I've read through a few of the threads on this topic but mostly I seem to be seeing mixed opinions.

Any help in this question I would appreciate - closest dealer said they do equalizer, blue ox, and Reese .

Thanks in advance!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Correction - 2013 or 2014

Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Since you have a 250, you can get by with a Reese dual cam. The others are nice, but overkill and over price. It is the one I use most. I have a Equalizer but it causes higher loads on the trailer on rough roads. I have never owned a Blue Ox but it seems over complex for your needs.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The only advantage of the 2500 is payload.

Don't get by, get the hitch that is a dream to tow with AND eliminates sway. ProPride or Hensley.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
How much money you got? Get the Hensley if you can afford to. I think the ProPride might be a similar design, but I have never seen one.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
I have used an Equal-I-zer 4-point hitch and a Propride 3P.

Comparison is a little difficult as the two hitches were used on very different set-ups. The equal-I-zer was used on a mini-van pulling a 20' SOB while the propride is the current hitch of choice for an F150 pulling a 30' Safari BH.

My observations -

1. The propride is more difficult to couple as you need to align all three dimensions. A standard ball hitch only needs to get two of three right. But with a back-up camera, this is really not that much of a concern.

2. The propride is cleaner to hook-up. The equializer involves snapping in place the spring bars that get greasy. I always carried a set of gloves in the little tool kit of parts for hooking up. There are also fewer clips to install during the hook-up with the propride. I don't need my little bag of parts like I needed with the equalizer.

3. The propride is easier to adjust. A few turns of the WD jacks and you can redistribute the load. It's also much quieter to hook-up. The equalizer bars 'snap' into place with a considerable noise.

4. The propride is heavy. It adds about 195 lbs onto the payload of the TV.

5. Decoupling the propride gives a bit of a jolt to the trailer as the stringer separates from the trailer section. I need to warn the family I'm about to separate the TV.

I've towed both set-ups in high winds. The propride is superior. The entire unit is extremely stable. With the equializer you can feel the trailer pull the TV from side to side. I never felt unsafe - but the propride is just better.

And finally - the propride is considerably more expensive. I certainly don't regret paying more for the hitch as I feel it delivers superior performance.

And you get GREAT customer support.
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have no backup camera but Carmax will install aftermarket option (like a gps looking screen) for 450 bucks - have not researche other options yet myself

My budget....hmmm....not sure - but would include put to cost of propride if I feel it is truly warranted or highly desirable. How much for Hensley? How much for "Reese dual cam"? Equalizer I understand is a few hundred?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Suwanee , Georgia
I inherited a Blue Ox when I bought my AS from an individual and it came with the deal. I've now used it on a 27 ft Classic and a 30 ft Classic w/SO and have absolutely no complaints with it at all. No sway, not affected by cross winds, etc. I'm sure there are some great hitches on the market but I just don't see how they could do anything any better than the Blue Ox that I have. I've often wondered why you don't hear about them more often.

My TV is an '08 Ford F250 diesel and it does have fairly stiff suspension.

Walter Duffee

PS I notice that you are from AL as I am originally. Roll Tide.
Maybe Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yep - although I am not from here (VA originally) - and college football has yet to fully grow on me

Had became an NFL fan while in school for 6 years in Philly. Now I watch almost no football

Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
I have used an Equal-I-zer 4-point hitch and a Propride 3P....

My observations -

3. The propride is easier to adjust. A few turns of the WD jacks and you can redistribute the load. It's also much quieter to hook-up. The equalizer bars 'snap' into place with a considerable noise. What? You don't "snap" the bars into place. They slide onto the L brackets with minimal effort. I don't know how you were hooking up your Equalizer but there is no snapping done. And there is certainly no "considerable noise" when attaching the bars.

I've towed both set-ups in high winds. The propride is superior. The entire unit is extremely stable. With the equializer you can feel the trailer pull the TV from side to side. I never felt unsafe - but the propride is just better.

Perhaps you felt your big white box swaying from side to side and that could have been caused by many things. My Airstream tows very nicely behind my TV and has done so for many thousands of miles, in high winds, rain, traffic and as we went up and came down some rather steep mountain passes. I think if you would check with many who tow an Airstream using an Equalizer you would find that swaying "from side to side" just doesn't happen.
From everything I have heard or read about the Hensley/Pro Pride, they are very good hitches. I would never trash them by making outlandish claims. They are very good, perhaps the best according to some. My only drawback was the cost and the challenge of hooking and unhooking. I think with a little, or a lot, of practice this would become less of an issue.

There are other very good options out there as well. I think you can get a feel for how deep brand loyalty runs here on the forum. I like my Equalizer and it has served me well. I know others who use the Reese and have similar experiences. Blue ox and the new Anderson also have some strong followers. Far be it for me to trash these hitches or the folks who have used them and have great confidence in them. I suppose it is not unlike all the other brand arguments be they brands of TVs or the diesel vs gas can o' worms.

When you narrow things down, PM someone who has one that you are interested in and have them answer your questions. Get the straight scoop from someone who uses one.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I used an Equalizer brand on my previous trailer. My AS came with a Reese Dual-Cam. I have had a Propride on my AS for about a year now. The Propride is by far the best of the three. The Propride prevents sway, the other two attempt to control sway through friction. A person with experience towing a trailer will easily feel the difference when towing with a Propride.

To me the complete hitching and unhitching of the Propride is quicker and easier than the other two. The Propride website has a very good video on how to hitch and unhitch a Propride. The idea of aligning the stinger to the hitch sounds difficult but it really isn't. I use one of the hitch mirrors that Propride sells. The technique in the video has worked well for me. The Propride WD bars stay installed on the trailer so there is less stuff to install during the hookup and you are not de-greasing yourself after the hitch / unhitch process. Propride sway control is independent of the WD bars. On the Reese and Equalizer, sway control is dependent on WD bar tension.

A new Propride is typically the same price as a refurbished Hensley (from Hensley). You can do a search and read about the differences between Propride and Hensley. I studied both and decided to go with the Propride.

The bottom line is that the Propride does what it is suppose to do and it does it very well. Customer service from Propride is excellent. Sean at Propride fields emails and phone calls during all of his waking hours. He seems to be very busy right now with a large volume of new customers.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Since you have a 250, you can get by with a Reese dual cam. The others are nice, but overkill and over price. It is the one I use most. I have a Equalizer but it causes higher loads on the trailer on rough roads. I have never owned a Blue Ox but it seems over complex for your needs.

I agree with this except I wouldn't say "get by". On my AS I have used Equal-i-zer, Reese Dual cam and a Hensley. I do believe the EQ is too stiff with the required 10,000# head....you cannot choose a lower rated bar than their 1000#....it is STIFF. The Reese is a good setup, once you get it dialed in.

If budget is no concern, there is nothing better than a PPP style hitch. I have a Hensley because I found a smokin' deal used. I do believe the design of the Propride is better and if/when I buy new again, it will be a Propride.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There is no reason to consider other than the best hitch: PULLRITE or PRO PRIDE (with H/A in 3rd place). There is no comparision between these and others. "Money" is a non-starter as an issue except for those who don't understand the relation of price and value.

Also, 16" LT tires on TT as well as TT disc brakes. DIRECLINK controller and anti-lock brake module.

A pickup needs all the help it can get in remaining upright and lane-centered. It will roll over before the trailer based on speed alone . . one assumes that the road performance of an A/S was high on the list for the choice thereof. Therefore, work to soften the impact of the weak link: the chosen TV.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I have no backup camera but Carmax will install aftermarket option (like a gps looking screen) for 450 bucks - have not researche other options yet myself

My budget....hmmm....not sure - but would include put to cost of propride if I feel it is truly warranted or highly desirable. How much for Hensley? How much for "Reese dual cam"? Equalizer I understand is a few hundred?
A reese dual cam can be had for 500.00-600.00.
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
3. The propride is easier to adjust. A few turns of the WD jacks and you can redistribute the load. It's also much quieter to hook-up. The equalizer bars 'snap' into place with a considerable noise. What? You don't "snap" the bars into place. They slide onto the L brackets with minimal effort. I don't know how you were hooking up your Equalizer but there is no snapping done. And there is certainly no "considerable noise" when attaching the bars.
The EQ hitch comes with a lever for lifting the bars and 'snapping' them into place. It's there to speed up the hitch process. Depending on the amount of travel in your tongue jack and the overall set-up, it should be possible to lift the trailer + TV high enough to slide the bars into place and avoid this issue. But on my previous set-up this was not always practical.

The Eq hitch is certainly creates more noise at low speed while turning. The hitch relies on friction to control sway - this friction results in noise while turning. It can be reduced with grease, and I believe there are plastic runners that can be installed on the 'L' brackets.

I've always wondered however how much the grease and other measures reduce the effectiveness of sway control.

On additional negative on the propride - on the Safari Bunkhouse with the front storage door, the WD jacks interfere with the opening of the door. With the jacks mounted as far forward as I can, the door only opens about 60%.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post

Perhaps you felt your big white box swaying from side to side and that could have been caused by many things. My Airstream tows very nicely behind my TV and has done so for many thousands of miles, in high winds, rain, traffic and as we went up and came down some rather steep mountain passes. I think if you would check with many who tow an Airstream using an Equalizer you would find that swaying "from side to side" just doesn't happen..
As noted in my post, I indicated that the Eq hitch was effective at controlling sway. Even in very high winds, or when getting passed by buses, etc - the sway control worked.

But the propride towing the airstream is more stable in my opinion.

The OP asked about real world experience with hitches - these are my experiences. I'm not relaying what I have heard from others.

In the interest of full disclosure however as stated at beginning of my post - the Eq hitch was on a mini-van pulling a 20' SOB while the Propride was on an F150 pulling an AS. A number of variables where changed between the experiments. I had towed the SOB with my truck - but not in enough difficult conditions to formulate an option as to how much the TV impacted the feel of towing.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Mega Bucks....

......spent on a capable TV and Airstream.

Is it now time to consider anything but the best hitch?

I submit not. Believe me, you won't regret getting the best.

If you haven't used a PPP system the benefits are still hidden for you.

Safety first for your Family and fellow travelers.

1000lb bars & a PPP Hitch.

Bob

Disclaimer....I'm Orange.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Hitches conform to the price/performance concept. More money does buy a marginally better hitch. That's the good news. I suppose it can be divided into 3 basic categories.

1. Non weight distributing - $ - very poor choice and unsafe for a large trailer

2. Weight distributing with bars - $$ - very good performance, safe

3. Forward projecting WD hitch - $$$ - best performance, highest price

In general these hitch discussion end up describing money as if it grows on trees. People issue aphorisms like "buy the best and be safe." Sure, but what if you just don't have $4500 lying around? Not everyone does, you know? I didn't, for example.

I found the " middle ground" at $650 for an Equal-I-zer was the best I could do at the time of purchase. It worked great for about 15,000 miles so far, it was safe, and I could afford it. Now, 2 years later, I have recovered from the initial expense involved in buying a big trailer and outfitting my tow car, so I can now MOVE UP to a better hitch, and get a little better performance.

I know for some people $4500 is lunch money. But we should acknowledge that such is not the case for many people. Some of the people who have the most expensive hitch give the impression that anyone choosing less is an idiot endangering the entire driving public. Simply not true.

Reese and EQ sell the bulk of all hitches. And, these are safe and effective. No one should feel foolish choosing one. The high-end hitches are better, and if money is no object, why not get one? But if money is an object don't be AFRAID of choosing an EQ or Reese and enjoying a nice safe ride with your trailer and your family. You are not evil, or stupid.

And finally, the technical issue of the EQ 1000# bars being "too stiff for an AS trailer" is controversial. It should not be taken as settled fact. It's an opinion of some people. I happen to think it is misguided, but this is not the place for that discussion.

Enjoy your trailer.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A ProPride for your trailer (1400# bars) sells for $2495.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens

Reese and EQ sell the bulk of all hitches. And, these are safe and effective. No one should feel foolish choosing one. The high-end hitches are better, and if money is no object, why not get one? But if money is an object don't be AFRAID of choosing an EQ or Reese and enjoying a nice safe ride with your trailer and your family. You are not evil, or stupid.

Enjoy your trailer.
Well said, mstephens - including your last line :-)

I don't know what the $4500 refers to, however. I know there are different configurations but the PP is closer to $2500 (maybe the HA is in that higher range? Don't know...).

Regardless of that detail, I think your summary in the snippet quoted above is absolutely spot on!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote