Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
A ProPride for your trailer (1400# bars) sells for $2495.

doug k
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Well said, mstephens - including your last line :-)

I don't know what the $4500 refers to, however. I know there are different configurations but the PP is closer to $2500 (maybe the HA is in that higher range? Don't know...).

Regardless of that detail, I think your summary in the snippet quoted above is absolutely spot on!
^
X3

$4500?.... Where exactly did that figure come from?
...no research.

Bob
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Full-Timer , South Dakota
I bought my '27FB International CCD new last year from AS Northwest in Portland. Without too much effort I was able to negotiate a free Equalizer hitch. I full-time and have about 10k tow miles since purchase paired to my 2012 F150 (ecoboost). I have not experienced any problems at all. Perhaps PP and Hensley are "better", but that does not mean Equalizer is bad or unsafe in my mind.

Hitching and unhitching is incredibly easy. I check torque on all hitch bolts prior to every tow (just like checking
tire pressure and truck/trailer lug bolts) and have had no issues at all.

Just because you can spend more does not mean doing so is necessary, especially if you are able to secure a hitch for free or significantly reduced versus MSRP.
burnsdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
If it works and it is safe for use - at this juncture in my life there are budget concerns believe it or not

Now in 2018 when student loans are gone I'll have 4 new money trees in the backyard

I need to keep as much money in my pocket now to enjoy more so the expense of travel in the coming years!

Now if the argument is that the EQ or Reese or eaz-lift etc are unsafe or perhaps "significantly less safe" or "not reaching an acceptable safety threshold" then I would shell it out....seems like we have equal amounts of anecdote here either way - with few saying the lower cost alternatives are a "bad idea". - complaints seem more of noise and technicalities of hookup - important distinctions for sure though....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quick sidebar

What about backing in my trailer over front yard and it would be a bit off camber? Would that damage anything??

Old 06-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
No, side tilt (camber????) relative to the TV, unless severe has no damaging affect on the hitch, etc. If in doubt, release the spring bars.

Since budget is a concern, I'd recommend the Reese dual cam. It is still my go to back up hitch. It is a fine setup.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"off camber"

I picked the phrase up while talking to off road folks

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/180668-off-camber/

It is not severely tilted but I guess I will take off these "springs" you speak of in case

My guess is that the left side will end up perhaps 2 feet higher than the right for about 12 ish feet

Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yeah, I'd just loosen up the spring bars and back it on in.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I have no backup camera but Carmax will install aftermarket option (like a gps looking screen) for 450 bucks - have not researche other options yet myself

My budget....hmmm....not sure - but would include put to cost of propride if I feel it is truly warranted or highly desirable. How much for Hensley? How much for "Reese dual cam"? Equalizer I understand is a few hundred?
You can get a less expensive backup camera at a car audio store- about $225.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
If it works and it is safe for use - at this juncture in my life there are budget concerns believe it or not

Now in 2018 when student loans are gone I'll have 4 new money trees in the backyard

I need to keep as much money in my pocket now to enjoy more so the expense of travel in the coming years!

Now if the argument is that the EQ or Reese or eaz-lift etc are unsafe or perhaps "significantly less safe" or "not reaching an acceptable safety threshold" then I would shell it out....seems like we have equal amounts of anecdote here either way - with few saying the lower cost alternatives are a "bad idea". - complaints seem more of noise and technicalities of hookup - important distinctions for sure though....
I have both the EazLift and the Equal-I-Zer. Both are excellent products in my humble opinion, not unsafe at all, but the Equal-I-Zer is much easier to hook up. In my mind a ProPride or Hensley Arrow would be even easier to hook up, and possibly you would never feel any sway at all. Sway is "controlled" very well with the EazLift and Equal-I-Zer, but is supposedly "eliminated" with the Hensley or ProPride. I would love the opportunity to find out some day.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
5 more years of student loan debt...it will go by really fast.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #31
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Of course, the advantage of AirForums is the ability to harvest a LOT of possibilities before you commit yourself to a course of action. And, most everyone is pretty passionate. And, some of us have the hindsight of "woulda, coulda, shoulda" .... where we made a call on something and second guessed it later. For me, a lot of that has been about how/where to spend the $. One of the lessons I've learned over and over is that when I've "settled" for less than optimum I have inevitably regretted it.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Silverleaf has a point. Think about it. How many Airstreamers "settled for less" on their trailers or tow vehicles? That ride is awesome. No point in settling for less on a hitch, either.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Penny wise, dollar foolish.

My Equal-I-Zer cost $700 installed, didn't like it so my Andersen cost $400 self-installed. That was a failure so bought a Propride for $2500 and discovered what towing ease, comfort, and control really are.

Wanted ProPride/Hensley in the first place but was advised these others are "good enough".

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
Penny wise, dollar foolish.

My Equal-I-Zer cost $700 installed, didn't like it so my Andersen cost $400 self-installed. That was a failure so bought a Propride for $2500 and discovered what towing ease, comfort, and control really are.

Wanted ProPride/Hensley in the first place but was advised these others are "good enough".

doug k
That is expensive R&D - sorry to hear that.

I think the OP is looking at a 2013 or 2014. So perhaps it's helpful to think of amortizing the cost over the life of the trailer. A ProPride will be about 3% of the cost of the trailer and if you assume 20 years of ownership, about $125/yr. the Equal-I-zer you mentioned would be just $35/yr. Given the high cost of the trailer to begin with, $90/yr seems very reasonable to me to know I'm preventing sway from happening in the first place.

Everyone's mileage will vary....be comfortable with your decision and know why you're making it. :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
blue ox hitch was included in price at "no cost"...I did a pretty decent job in negotiating...a few slip ups I think, but got a pretty good deal I think based on prices discussed for factory new on this site.

So I figure I will get to drive with this hitch at "no cost" for a while.....if I am not pleased then I will indeed upgrade to one of these other hitches.

PS - that airstream video on the site where the AS is being towed and swayed around back and forth and SOB is almost tipping over...which hitch were they using in that video??

Old 06-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I found the blue ox intriguing because I can still get the tailgate down and use it for bikes and stuff without unhitching...kinda cool....experience will tell....my wife and I solo will pick up the unit, stay overnight at the dealer and likely camp most of that weekend, perhaps even through the weekend and tow home. I will be watching closely for any perceived sway and other problems....hopefully the dealer will set it up "ok" but I suspect I will need to do some tweaking...seems that is common with hitches...there is a learning curve with most it appears....

Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Well said, mstephens - including your last line :-)

I don't know what the $4500 refers to, however. I know there are different configurations but the PP is closer to $2500 (maybe the HA is in that higher range? Don't know...).

Regardless of that detail, I think your summary in the snippet quoted above is absolutely spot on!
Seems to me the Hensley hitch quoted to me was $4500. If not, my apology for the mistake. If the top end is $2500, I think the point still stands that a person buying a $600 or $700 WD hitch is not an evil person threatening society.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
I found the blue ox intriguing because I can still get the tailgate down and use it for bikes and stuff without unhitching...kinda cool....experience will tell....my wife and I solo will pick up the unit, stay overnight at the dealer and likely camp most of that weekend, perhaps even through the weekend and tow home. I will be watching closely for any perceived sway and other problems....hopefully the dealer will set it up "ok" but I suspect I will need to do some tweaking...seems that is common with hitches...there is a learning curve with most it appears....
If you are financing the TT with the hitch you might consider paying the dealer $1800 more for an upgrade from blue ox to ProPride . Going back later, it will cost you $2500 plus about $400 minimum for removal of the blue ox & installation of ProPride, travel expenses back to the dealer and more holes drilled on your A frame. Instead of initial expense of $1800 you will now be looking at somewhere around $3600 easily.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Do not count on the dealer getting it set up properly. I started with a ProPride so the towing was fine, but I went to CAT scales on the way home and the WD needed some adjustments.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Real food for thought - I expect the dealer will balk at this but as I continue to consider this matter I may go that route....

I'm still not sold necessarily on the propride as there are so many that report pulling very well with others - many of these folks are very experienced.

Interesting to see in concept how it works - could someone show a diagram how equalizer, blue ox, or Reese does the job as a compare and contrast?