Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #21
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I dunno. This is an F-250 4x4 super duty with the camper package suspension. I really don't think 800 lbs of tongue weight bothers it all that much. From what I've seen so far, I basically wasted $ 600 on the Reese WDH hitch. The truck doesn't need it. I'm thinking I really don't need to beef up the suspension on a truck like this. It could handle that trailer, a slide in, and a snowplow too I think.

But I did take advice and buy a hitch, and now since I own it I figure I should use it. It rode around in the forward compartment of the 27FB for three years. I just moved it from the trailer to the truck.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Before I start adjusting headlights for towing. I would install air bags on the rear axle. Then adjust the hitch accordingly. Making sure the TV sits close to it's original plane.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Please be advised that adding air bags or air shocks to the tow vehicle and having more than minimum pressure in them, DEFEATS progressively the purpose of the load equalizing hitch.

That in itself, is asking for a loss of control and possible roll over.

That was proven decades ago.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Very interesting comment Andy! I never considered that until you mentioned it. Here I was thinking about heading down to my local Ford dealer to see what a set of airbag's would cost to put on the F150 as my 28' has a substantial hitch weigh and I thought a set of airbag's would help

Thanks

Doug
Old 10-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Sumo springs or Timbrens may work

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Very interesting comment Andy! I never considered that until you mentioned it. Here I was thinking about heading down to my local Ford dealer to see what a set of airbag's would cost to put on the F150 as my 28' has a substantial hitch weigh and I thought a set of airbag's would help

Thanks

Doug
Doug.

If you need help for the truck when hauling heavy weight, then the air bags would help.

BUT, when you going to tow the trailer, you must drop that air pressure to absolute minimum.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
---Here I was thinking about heading down to my local Ford dealer to see what a set of airbag's would cost to put on the F150 as my 28' has a substantial hitch weigh and I thought a set of airbag's would help.
Doug, the airbags will not increase the amount of load transfer to the TV's front axle.

However, if the desired amount of load transfer via the WDH leaves more rear-end sag than desired, you can use airbags to control the rear-end height.
Just be aware that airbags can adversely affect the adjustment of the WDH.
If airbags are used to raise the rear end after the WDH is adjusted, the raising will decrease the amount of load transfer.

There are two ways in which airbags can be used in conjunction with a WDH to achieve both desired load transfer and desired rear-end height.

1) You could initially "over-adjust" the WDH (initially adjust to transfer more load than desired). Then add air to the bags which will raise the rear of the TV while tending to eliminate the excess load transfer.

2) After hitching, add air to eliminate some, but not all, of the rear-end drop. Then use the WDH to achieve the desired load transfer while raising the rear to the desired height.

Both approaches might require some trial and error adjusting to find the correct amount of "over-adjustment" or the correct amount of initial lifting via airbags.

Some users prefer the first approach because they find it easier to "fine tune" the adjustments using air pressure versus fine tuning by changing number of links or amount of ball mount tilt.

Ron
Ron Gratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Aston , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Please be advised that adding air bags or air shocks to the tow vehicle and having more than minimum pressure in them, DEFEATS progressively the purpose of the load equalizing hitch.

That in itself, is asking for a loss of control and possible roll over.

That was proven decades ago.

Andy
So I just ordered a 2015 Ram 2500 truck to tow a 27FB airstream. I got the option of the airbags since I will be doing a lot of towing and thought that would be beneficial. Per the above quote, it appears not. My understanding is that the air suspension on the Ram isn't adjustable, you have two settings to choose from, so setting it to minimum may not be possible.

Anyone have experience with the WD and Ram 2500 air suspension?
BASE729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Hitch Ball Too High, or Too Low

Suspension technology has changed from decades ago. I believe the 2015 Dodge Truck has only air bag suspension.
The idea behind using air bags is not to transfer weight to the front axle. It is to compensate for the soft suspension without causing a hard ride.
Many modern 1/2 ton trucks ride more like cars. When you drop 800+ pounds on the hitch ball. The truck obviously squats down.
Any WD system places considerable strain on the trailer and TV frame. Some to the point of popping rivets etc.
The idea behind the air bags is to help reduce the strain and eliminate the use of such heavy duty torsion bars.
Not to transfer weight.
Unlike springs, the air bags don't have a recoil property. They don't cause the vehicle to bounce up like a spring. As the axle moves farther from the frame the air bag extends, but only to the point of pressure drop. When the axle moves closer the air bag compresses, but not to the point of becoming a spring. The bellows design prevents it.
If the TV is bouncy. Chances are it is bad shocks.
I have had air bags on both of my TV's.. One 3/4 ton and now a 1/2 ton.
IMHO there is no difference in the handling properties whether towing or not with the air bags.
In don't see how the addition of air bags would contribute or cause a roll over. Very little air is required to raise the TV. On no occasion have I ever put more than 30# in the airbags.
My '08 Tundra is rock solid when towing the 26' Argosy. Which has a loaded hitch weight of 700#.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE729 View Post
So I just ordered a 2015 Ram 2500 truck to tow a 27FB airstream. I got the option of the airbags since I will be doing a lot of towing and thought that would be beneficial. Per the above quote, it appears not. My understanding is that the air suspension on the Ram isn't adjustable, you have two settings to choose from, so setting it to minimum may not be possible.

Anyone have experience with the WD and Ram 2500 air suspension?
It appears that the manufacturer fully intends for you to be able to use the Ram's air suspension for towing.
Page 525 (527/871) of the online 2015 Ram Owners Manual states:

Trailer Mode (Lowers the vehicle approximately 1 in) –

This position will lower the rear suspension
and provide load leveling for all loading conditions
including towing a trailer. After the “ALT TRAILER
HEIGHT” button has been pushed, it will blink continuously
until the trailer height has been achieved.

To use Ram's automatic air leveling in conjunction with a WDH, it might be necessary to use the "trial and error" approach of adjusting the WDH and then seeing what effect the air leveling has on front-end height or front-end load.
Then by varying the WDH adjustment, you should be able to compensate for any effect of the leveling.

Ron
Ron Gratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Back to original subject/post

Here are pictures with the modified draw bar after WD adjustment. The picture of the rig together still looks like the trailer is too low in the front and the truck too low in the rear, but it is because of the angle of view and the less than exact reproduction of a slight wide angle lens. The second and third pictures show the truck is very close to perfectly level with a 100% front end height restoration, and the trailer is still about 1/2" low in the front. Believe I will live with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141017_101303.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	224861   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141017_101343.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	224862  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141017_101358.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	224863  
Old 10-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
Doug, the airbags will not increase the amount of load transfer to the TV's front axle.

However, if the desired amount of load transfer via the WDH leaves more rear-end sag than desired, you can use airbags to control the rear-end height.
Just be aware that airbags can adversely affect the adjustment of the WDH.
If airbags are used to raise the rear end after the WDH is adjusted, the raising will decrease the amount of load transfer.

There are two ways in which airbags can be used in conjunction with a WDH to achieve both desired load transfer and desired rear-end height.

1) You could initially "over-adjust" the WDH (initially adjust to transfer more load than desired). Then add air to the bags which will raise the rear of the TV while tending to eliminate the excess load transfer.

2) After hitching, add air to eliminate some, but not all, of the rear-end drop. Then use the WDH to achieve the desired load transfer while raising the rear to the desired height.

Both approaches might require some trial and error adjusting to find the correct amount of "over-adjustment" or the correct amount of initial lifting via airbags.

Some users prefer the first approach because they find it easier to "fine tune" the adjustments using air pressure versus fine tuning by changing number of links or amount of ball mount tilt.

Ron
Thanks for this Ron....
would something like this be an option to airbags and a way to get my back end up a little?
Pro Series | Hellwig Products

TKS
Doug