Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Hitch Ball Height

Seems that I remember the unloaded hitch ball height is supposed to be 1" higher than the hitch on the trailer when the trailer is level when using a WD hitch. Is this still popular concensus?

My current tow vehicle (to be replaced in the near future) is a short wheelbase half ton Dodge pickup, and with the adjustable hitch set to it's lowest position, the ball is quite a bit higher than that. So, can I "get by" with it for a while, and what in your opinion are the consequences?
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
You really should have the trailer level because of the torsion axles. With the front high, you will increase the load on the rear axle, possibly overloading the axle and tires. I would try to get it level.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Airstream Chart

Steve,

Measured to the top of the ball.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream Weights.pdf (100.7 KB, 434 views)
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Without checking the manuals, I seem to recall a top of ball height of 18.75 inches. That is with the trailer and tow vehicle loaded. It makes a difference. I'll double check that number, however.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Follow Gary's post

I used the PDF file that Gary provided (someone else posted it years ago) and its spot on.

For our 34' Excella the 18 1/2 ball height, without the trailer hooked up is perfect. Where you would potentially need to have the ability to adjust the ball height is if you're going to place 1000 lbs in the bed of your tow vehicle.

For example, I will sometimes take my motorcycle with me and load it into the bed of the truck. Once I do that it drops my ball height about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, which in turn impacts the towing angle of the AS.

Good luck!
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
don't forget that as the axles get old the height drops a bit. the chart is a reference point.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Sorry, it seems I did not make myself clear on this one. The ball height I'm concerned about is the unloaded ball height on the tow vehicle being too high.

I can get the trailer level, no problem, when hitched to the TV with the WD bar adjustments, but because of the high unloaded ball height, I fear there is too much weight on the TV rear axle.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
When you are properly setup the truck should drop an equal amount on both the front and rear axelss. Measure the distance from the fender above each wheel beore and after hitching up. This is the final adjustment in the documentation I have from Reese. On my TV the drop is about 1/2 inch all around.

If you want to get more exact numbers you are going to have to take it to a CAT scale and weigh it before and after hitching.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
When you are properly setup the truck should drop an equal amount on both the front and rear axelss. Measure the distance from the fender above each wheel beore and after hitching up. This is the final adjustment in the documentation I have from Reese. On my TV the drop is about 1/2 inch all around.

If you want to get more exact numbers you are going to have to take it to a CAT scale and weigh it before and after hitching.
Thanks Richard. Yes, that's about what I was thinking, but with the high unloaded ball height that I have, when the trailer is hitched up and level, the truck is dropping much more in the rear than in the front.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
Thanks Richard. Yes, that's about what I was thinking, but with the high unloaded ball height that I have, when the trailer is hitched up and level, the truck is dropping much more in the rear than in the front.

When the trailer is level and the rear of the tow vehicle is higher than the front, then the ball is too "high."

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
When the trailer is level and the rear of the tow vehicle is higher than the front, then the ball is too "high."

Andy
Andy,

Yes, that I knew before I even hooked up the trailer, but my original question was: "So, can I "get by" with it for a while, and what in your opinion are the consequences?"

Any light you can shead on this is appreciated.
Steve
Old 09-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
So your sayin without the trailer attached to the t/v the ball height to the top of the ball should be 19.5 inches from the ground on a 1973 27' overlander if I am reading that pdf right???? SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgl6
So your sayin without the trailer attached to the t/v the ball height to the top of the ball should be 19.5 inches from the ground on a 1973 27' overlander if I am reading that pdf right???? SAM
Sam,

Yes, as I understand it, the hitch ball should be at 19.5" from the ground before you hook the trailer to the TV. Mine is 23" before I hook the trailer up, so even though the trailer is leveled with the WD bars, the tow vehicle is carrying too much weight in the rear, again as I understand it.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Thanks alot steve h

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here is what my manual says...

The hitch ball on the T/V - on level ground - should be 19.5 inches from the ground measured to the top of the ball.

Attach the trailer to the hitch - latch and lock the coupler.

Use the jack to raise trailer/tow vehicle several inches (the manual says all the way). Install the WD bars and latch them in place. Lower the jack until it comes off the ground and measure again at the coupler. Keep doing this (changing the number of links you drop) until the result is the hitch/tow vehicle is approximately 1 inch higher than before the trailer was connected.

Remember how many links you dropped to get there. Again, this is from the Airstream manual - not my instruction but I do follow them.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
"Keep doing this (changing the number of links you drop) until the result is the hitch/tow vehicle is approximately 1 inch HIGHER than before the trailer was connected."

Ganglin,

I'm sorry, Airstream manual or not, I cannot see where the above could be correct. Should it be one inch lower?

Thanks for you input, but the above still does not answer my question of what is the result if the ball is mounted too high to begin with.

Steve
Old 09-26-2007, 05:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
The hitch ball on the T/V - on level ground - should be 19.5 inches from the ground measured to the top of the ball.

Attach the trailer to the hitch - latch and lock the coupler.

Use the jack to raise trailer/tow vehicle several inches (the manual says all the way). Install the WD bars and latch them in place. Lower the jack until it comes off the ground and measure again at the coupler. Keep doing this (changing the number of links you drop) until the result is the hitch/tow vehicle is approximately 1 inch higher than before the trailer was connected.

Remember how many links you dropped to get there. Again, this is from the Airstream manual - not my instruction but I do follow them.

Ball heights cannot ever be what Airstream advertizes, after a period of time. How much time, who knows.

1. Torsion axles are weight sensitive.

2. How much have the axles settled because of non use?

Therefore the ball height of exactly the same trailer can be very different from one owner to another.

The "only" way ball height can be determined, is to measure the coach in question.

Granted, there is a starting point, but rarely after a few years, does that measurement hold true.

Because of loading and axle condition, ball heights can change almost 3 inches, and sometimes more.

Also, when adjusting the chain links, "NEVER" count how many links are dropped, but "ALWAYS" count how many under stress.

1. There have be examples of a different number of links from one side to the other.

2. Your eye's should be on the business end of the chaian, so that you don't accidentally put a twist in the chain, which shortens it's length. Should that happen differently from one side to the other, then the chains will not have the same stresses on them. That would be bad news.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
It's becoming clear to me that either I cannot explain my situation and therefore ask a question that anyone understands, or no one knows the answer to my question.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
"Seems that I remember the unloaded hitch ball height is supposed to be 1" higher than the hitch on the trailer when the trailer is level when using a WD hitch. Is this still popular concensus?"

NO!

"My current tow vehicle (to be replaced in the near future) is a short wheelbase half ton Dodge pickup, and with the adjustable hitch set to it's lowest position, the ball is quite a bit higher than that. So, can I "get by" with it for a while, and what in your opinion are the consequences?"

NO. consequenses could be big dents to trailer, tow vehicle, you, or even worse, ME!

buy the proper ball mount for the hitch. i sure hope you're not going to use the bumper.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
SteveH,

I'll scan the manual pages and send them to you this week - even though some don't seem to agree with Airstreams instructions - you have to have something to use as a starting point. The simple answer to your question (yes we do understand what your saying) is no don't try to tow it that way at least in my humble opinion.

Yes Higher is correct - that is the best balance of the trailer and tow vehicle according to both Airstream and what I've read other places. If it's lower that lifts the A$$ of the trailer and lifts the proper weight/balance somewhat off the front tow vehicle steering - not good.

If your really uncomfortable find either a VERY good RV dealer to balance it for you. Or, my favorite here locally, a commercial trailer dealer that also works on RV's - the one I'm dealing with knows what they are doing when it comes to proper hitch setup for the first time and are much less expensive to deal with than an RV shop..