Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Latest info update on Curt hitch problem

Hello all -

Here is the latest on my Curt hitch issue.

Just to recap (for those that don't re-read the threads) - bought a Curt ClassV hitch to replace the OEM hitch on my '01 Burb. I pull a '92 34' Classic Limited and did NOT want to have a problem.... hence the replacement of the OEM unit.

Once I got the Curt hitch home (pro installed) and installed a hitch bike rack, I noticed a LOT of slop in the unit. Tried all the other hitch bars/ hitch pin combos and they all had the same problem. Checked the OEM unit. All were tight.

Took a tape measure to check the OEM unit - 2 1/16 inch ID. Curt unit was 2 1/8 inch ID.

Called the seller/installer, explained the situation - and was told that all units were now built in China and that they all had similar tolerances/slop and there was nothing that could be done.

Fumed a bit, then posted here.

Decided to contact Curt directly and ask them for an explanation. Got a very quick response from corporate, and they asked for the info off the hitch. They also explained that they try to spot check the reciever tubes when they come in, but that on occation oversize units do get through....

I'll skip all the back and forth email stuff and get to the end result.

Today Curt sent me a brand new unit. They have offered to reimburse me for the install of the new unit and have asked that I send back the 'defective' unit.

I will be checking to see that the new unit has tight fits on all my hook ups before it goes on my truck, but I expect that Curt has made the needed checks before sending the unit out to me.

I can say that I have been extremely pleased with the prompt and satisfying responses I have gotten from Curt.

I will report back again once I have all the details buttoned down. Thanks to everyone for reading this far.....!!!!

Axel
SilverToy

PS - Others have offered several ideas/ solutions that were seeming work-arounds to the actual issue - the hitch was too loose. Talk to the maker of your hitch - perhaps you can get similar satisfaction and a new hitch for your TV.
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 AM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post
...............'snip'....................

I am suprised some business has not start building RV's in Mexico.
They already are................a little company called FLEETWOOD recently closed a plant in California and are opening an assembly line in Mexico.

Can't wait to see the quality problems in those units!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
The latest....

Hello all -

Today I took about an hour and removed the 'old' Curt hitch and installed the 'new' Curt hitch. Actually quite glad that I did the work myself as I fould 2 under-torqued bolts. Actually scary to contemplate if I had not gone back and checked the work.... and with towing things might have loosened further.... and then....?!

Checked the 'new' receiver tube with all my attachment pieces and all is right with the world again. Mounting was fairly easy (good thing the 13 y/o is off school) with an assist needed for getting the hitch up and a few bolts tightened.

All torqued down and ready to roll. Tried the bike rack as that was what alerted me to the slop. There is very minor back and forth (as with the OEM) but nothing like the 8-10 degree back and forth with the 'old', now replaced, Curt.

Lessons? Contact the manufacturer of any unit that you have newly bought something that is not up to spec. Curt was very responsive. They have offered to pay for my install on the 2nd unit.

BTW, I will be alerting Curt of the sloppy install by the local distributor.... perhaps they can make an improvement there as well.

Again, Thanks for reading this far. I am glad that I did not have to go the route that some others here suggested with hitch, or receiver mods, clamps and the like. I want to the proper way that it should be. I have that now. Thanks Curt.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Good News..

Glad all worked out well for you.

I've gotten into the habit of retorqueing the reciever mount bolts every Spring make-ready, after helping a fellow camper when three of his bolts failed as he was backing into his spot. Very lucky it didn't happen on the road.

Stream safe
Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #45

Eau Claire , Wisconsin
I would just like to state. That Curt Hitches as well as receiver tubes are not manufactured in China. The hitches are built in Eau Claire, WI. The receiver tube is built by a company in Michigan. When the receiver tubes come in they are sampled for size using a maximum and minimum check gauge. Sometimes one does make it through that is larger than normal. Often the issue with slop comes from the ballmount of whatever is being towed. All receiver tubes and ballmounts are not the same. If the ballmount or accessoryis made in a foreign country. Most likely the material is metric. Which has a different radius. If you stick a Curt Ballmount or accessory in one of our hitches and have the problems Axel experienced. We will gladly send you a replacement. You can be assured at Curt Manufacturing we listen to you as the customer, and will resolve the issue.
Shannon Engel
Quality Control
Curt Manufacturing
Eau Claire, WI
hitchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:09 AM   #46
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbond View Post
Devoman

I have been using a device similar to what you first asked about and it will stop the rattle. Bought mine at Camping world and its a little different. Because of the way the new Suburban hitch is set into the bumper I had to grind on the device a little to make it fit.

Uwe
This also stops all the side to side movement so far. I towed several thousand miles with the new hitch & device. If this hadn''t worked I was going to have a welder adapt an older Reese hitch to mount underneath the current hitch at a more normal height. I contacted (reese)Cequent and they said they had no plans to make a receiver since all Suburbans come with the hitch aka known as the bumper.
I will take a look at one of these, but only after a dealer visit. I am hoping that GM will replace my hitch with a new, better fitting one.
I also have issues with the third row seats not locking into place, and a headliner that is falling down on one side over the cargo area.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Your profile does not say what your TV is, But there was a recall on GM installed hitches. The welds were breaking and the tubes were sloppy. Check with your dealer. I cant even tell ya what brand those hitches were,cause Im not a GM person.
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #48
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Your profile does not say what your TV is, But there was a recall on GM installed hitches. The welds were breaking and the tubes were sloppy. Check with your dealer. I cant even tell ya what brand those hitches were,cause Im not a GM person.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...les-34603.html

Although retired I still work part time at a G.M. Store. Not aware of any recalls on G.M. recievers. We have replaced a number under 3/36 warranty for for the problems noted.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #49
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Hitch Vise

Wondering if anyone else has used this one yet.It fits very snug on the equalizer hitch I have.Only time will tell whether it was worth purchasing.Going to Key west again at the end of October so I will be able to give it a good testing then.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #50
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
hey, that looks good. my receiver has 130k miles on it and it is getting sloppy. was thinking about repair/replacement-keep us posted as to how that thing works...
ol bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
My friend simply puts some weld beads on his hitch shank and then grinds them off to the point that it is a perfect fit. Almost no cost or trouble, if you have a gas or electric welder.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #52
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Hitch

So far it looks like it will work out great for the side to side motion but as for it moving up and down,The bolts on the top and bottm are rest on the hitch also.Makes me wonder if there is enough force to bend those bolts over time and can this hitch vise handle this much pressure.Only time will tell.I will take some pictures and show what it looks like once I get a chance to.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Some of you remember I tried a simular experiment with set screws thru the receiver to try and stop the movement. It was not successful because there was too much force applied in the side to side plane...the set screws just loosened. I wanted to try two set screws in the side to side plane but couldn't because of the way the Reese draw bar was hollowed out in the center. The vertical plane worked good, but that's not where the problem exists relevant to sway control.

I ended up replacing the square receiver tubing with thicker material, and still needed a shim, but it has been working well since.

This is the thread about the set screws: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ong-47086.html
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, I shimmed and pushed and fiddled, and nothing really worked. Then I found one of the squared-off U-bolts left over from my work on the MG, and the thing fit right over the receiver and hitch. With a little jig to stabilze from receiver to hitch, I bolted it on (bolts downward), and all shimmy is gone!

Lynn