Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Wink Hitch and brake controller recommendations for Excursion/28' Safari

We picked up our new Excursion PSD 6.0 last week and next week will finalize our choice of a 28' Safari trailer w/slideout.

I've never pulled a trailer this heavy and welcome advice on choices for a hitch and brake controller combo that makes the most sense. I'm willing to buy the Hensley hitch if it's advisable but would rather not if it's a waste of money over some of the other alternatives. Likewise with brake controllers.

Also, what do others recommend about installation of the hitch? Have Airstream dealer do it or another shop? Likewise on the controller?

Thanks a lot...

PWRSTRK
Tom and Frank
Chicago
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
hehehe

Welcome to the forums!

Hitches and brake controllers are like opinions...everybody has one

My PERSONAL preferences are the Prodigy and the Equalizer Hitch
As far as the dealer installing...Good luck! Some dealers are compentent and others not. I am hard headed and installed my own, buddy of mine had his hitch installed by the same dealer I bought mine from and it was done incorrectly. Personally I feel that the Hensley would be overkill for the rig you have. JMHO

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
...what do others recommend about installation of the controller?

Tom and Frank:

Do a search here on the Forums for a Jordan Controller.

I really prefer the progressive control and power to brake readout.

Like your tow vehicle, trailer, and hitch, you have multiple manufacturers of quality equipment to choose from. Do a bit more homework, and the best "fit" for your purposes will fall into place.

America...what a great place.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 07:52 PM   #4
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Smile

Tom and Frank,

Last year in May, we were in Branson Missouri for a Hensley Hitch rally. A “Tech Session” given by Master Brake (the manufacturer) presented a general discussion including history; evolution and safety in towing trailers then went on to describe the system his company produces.

Of the two previous controllers (the last was a Prodigy) both units relied on inertia, which sensed motion then applied electrical impulse to the trailer. We were constantly adjusting the gain for city, highway or hills to be more or less aggressive as needed. In panic situations I was reaching to override whenever I needed to brake hard.

The Brake Smart controller has a sensor that measures the tow vehicles brake pressure and then applies the correct pressure to each axle on the trailer. I never need to adjust or override.

Our tow vehicle is a 2003 Excursion 6.0 diesel. I ordered the unit in the color to match my interior. Whenever I am at the Car Wash, Dealership or anyone that is servicing the Excursion, I always get a lot of questions compliments and admirers. I always give their the web address: http://www.masterbrake.com/

Hope this is helpful
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 08:16 PM   #5
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Tom and Frank,

The slide adds approximately at least 1000 lbs to your hitch.

I have a Hensley Hitch and love it but do your homework, check out the forum, talk to Hensley, the Airstream corporation or go to an R.V. Show and ask questions. Everyone (including me), has an opinion.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
controller

John, I'm considering the Brakesmart. Was it easy to install or is there a local installer you'd recommend. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker
Tom and Frank,

Last year in May, we were in Branson Missouri for a Hensley Hitch rally. A “Tech Session” given by Master Brake (the manufacturer) presented a general discussion including history; evolution and safety in towing trailers then went on to describe the system his company produces.

Of the two previous controllers (the last was a Prodigy) both units relied on inertia, which sensed motion then applied electrical impulse to the trailer. We were constantly adjusting the gain for city, highway or hills to be more or less aggressive as needed. In panic situations I was reaching to override whenever I needed to brake hard.

The Brake Smart controller has a sensor that measures the tow vehicles brake pressure and then applies the correct pressure to each axle on the trailer. I never need to adjust or override.

Our tow vehicle is a 2003 Excursion 6.0 diesel. I ordered the unit in the color to match my interior. Whenever I am at the Car Wash, Dealership or anyone that is servicing the Excursion, I always get a lot of questions compliments and admirers. I always give their the web address: http://www.masterbrake.com/

Hope this is helpful

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 08:52 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
We picked up our new Excursion PSD 6.0 last week and next week will finalize our choice of a 28' Safari trailer w/slideout.

PWRSTRK
Tom and Frank
Chicago
Tom & Frank,

Double check your receiver on your new Excursion and make sure it will carry weights in excess of 1000 lbs. My 3/4 ton GMC Savana van's factory receiver was not sufficent to carry the weight of my Classic slide out. I upgraded to a class V Hidden Hitch rated for 1,400 lbs.

Anyone looking for a brand new receiver for a '03 GMC or Chevy van let me know. Its sitting in my garage looking for a home.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 09:45 PM   #8
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Tin Hut,

The Manufacturer is located here in Dallas near Royal Lane @ Denton Drive, since I live within 5 miles, I made arrangements to have the factory do the installation. I believe it took them about 45 minutes. It wasn't that expensive and I was sure to have the job done correctly. If your mechanically inclined, this installation may be easiy for you. Their staff is very knowledgeable, they can assist and answer any questions you have or give any technial assist to you or an installer in your area.

Their information: Master Brake Systems
11210 Ables Lane
Dallas, TX 75229
972-241-0164

Regards,
Old 07-03-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

I like the Equalizer Hitch and prefer the Jordon 2020 Ultima brake controller.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:20 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
I have used a Hensley for over two years and love it. I used another type hitch and was bothered by big trucks and cross winds. No more trouble now. I installed it myself and it is no big problem it you are handy with tools and such. I also installed one for a friend. The down side is that they are very expensive, but in my opiion, is worth every penny. I feel that it is much safer than what I was using. Please note that I use an Expedition and it has a shorter wheel base than your Excursion. The Prodigy controller completes the package.
You will find lots of different opinions so you just have to make up your own mind as to what is best for you.
Good luck,
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:29 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

I ordered the Brakesmart directly from the company yesterday afternoon and it arrived this morning at 9:30. These people were VERY helpful, and while the unit is not cheap, I'm told it's outstanding (thank you John) and I'm having it installed locally tomorrow afternoon.

In the meantime, after hearing everything from anyone asked about every hitch in the world, I swallowed hard and ordered the Hensley. I decided to do it right the first time with no room for error. When spending roughly $50k for a trailer and $50k for a truck, I think the protection is worth it. I'll provide feedback in a few weeks after our first trip.

Tom
Old 07-08-2004, 02:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I've seen John's set-up, the brake controller is impressive.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:49 PM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
I ordered the Brakesmart directly from the company yesterday afternoon and it arrived this morning at 9:30. These people were VERY helpful, and while the unit is not cheap, I'm told it's outstanding (thank you John) and I'm having it installed locally tomorrow afternoon.

In the meantime, after hearing everything from anyone asked about every hitch in the world, I swallowed hard and ordered the Hensley. I decided to do it right the first time with no room for error. When spending roughly $50k for a trailer and $50k for a truck, I think the protection is worth it. I'll provide feedback in a few weeks after our first trip.

Tom
Tom... I have to reiterate Jack's thoughts about your Excursion. I have a 2000 Ex and it's only rated to 1,000 lbs tongue weight. Your slide model will be pushing and probably exceeding the limits of the Ex's factory receiver hitch. My guess is that you'll need to upgrade your receiver. Check your weights carefully. Don't max out your receiver. A brand new $50k trailer going down the road all by itself attached to a flailing receiver that's not attached to anything ain't a pretty sight!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:15 PM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Tom... I have to reiterate Jack's thoughts about your Excursion. I have a 2000 Ex and it's only rated to 1,000 lbs tongue weight. Your slide model will be pushing and probably exceeding the limits of the Ex's factory receiver hitch. My guess is that you'll need to upgrade your receiver. Check your weights carefully. Don't max out your receiver. A brand new $50k trailer going down the road all by itself attached to a flailing receiver that's not attached to anything ain't a pretty sight!

Roger
Yep the Hensley does you no good if the receiver is dragging on the ground. I found 2 class V hitches in my search. One was the Reese Titan which is rated 1,700 lbs. It has a 2 1/2 inch box which means you will need an adapter to get it down to 2 inches. The other receiver and the one I bought was a Hidden Hitch. It's rated 1,400 lbs and has a 2 inch box. No adapter necessary.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:17 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Thanks to all of you. My Ex receiver is rated to 1250 -- I will have the whole thing analyzed and rated by my local hitch people. Jack, thanks for the Class V recommendations. In any case I'm sure it would be a good way to go so I will look at them. Thanks, Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Yep the Hensley does you no good if the receiver is dragging on the ground. I found 2 class V hitches in my search. One was the Reese Titan which is rated 1,700 lbs. It has a 2 1/2 inch box which means you will need an adapter to get it down to 2 inches. The other receiver and the one I bought was a Hidden Hitch. It's rated 1,400 lbs and has a 2 inch box. No adapter necessary.

Jack
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
Old 08-17-2004, 08:45 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Tin Hut,

The BrakeSmart is easy to install, [their directions are very clear] and is a great product in operation. I had the prodigy on my last tow vehicle, but I really prefer the way this one operates under all towing/braking conditions I have experienced, especially in the mountains.

wrepete
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote