Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Great job getting her adjusted.

Few observations for just that last 10% optimization.

1) Trailer actually looks a bit nose high now? It's not so much the unladen height of the cars receiver, but the final loaded height with WD applied. Now that you have the WD dialed in a bit, seems to have raised the rear of the car and put the trailer just a tad nose high. Not sure if its high enough to justify going back to the lower position.

2) Your safety chains. Looks like you're running them over the WD bars. I run mine fully under everything to avoid any interference. So chains get down between the two WD bars, then forward. This way, they won't chafe and interfere when turning, and can fully cradle all the mechanisms in case of a major failure

3) If you want to further improve your WD and sway resistance, one of the best things you can do is to bring the hitch ball closer in. As close to the rear bumper as possible. Andy at CanAm has been performing this optimization for decades. This involved bringing the stinger to a machine shop to drill a hole closer in, so that it brings the ball in. May need to also cut the stinger down if depth becomes and issue. Of course, there's practical considerations of the rear hatch clearing everything when bringing the ball closer. I made this mod on mine to bring it 3" further in. This has the functional equivalent to making the wheelbase 6" longer (as my wheelbase to rear overhand is roughly 2:1).
Click image for larger version

Name:	AShitch.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	310873
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Thanks for the great tips. I’m so excited I’m planning a trip before my November Hilton Head trip. You know, to “test” it...

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote