Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Hitch Adjust at Home?

New TV for my 22. Going from Highlander to GLS450 and GLS receiver is 2 inches lower. Pain to take both cars and 22 long way to dealer. Can I adjust the Husky Centrr Line at home? See pics. Advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F50E9207-5ACF-424A-B87C-8C46E0F73F31.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	331245   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD103641-1BE3-4DE3-B0FF-A5EBC65F83AD.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	331246  

Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
You'll get a better adjustment at home because it is personal to you!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
All you should have to do is raise the ball of the hitch (picture 2) about 2" on the drop bar that goes into your TV receiver. I say "about" because the suspensions of the two vehicles will react differently to the tongue weight. If your rig is towing level now hook up and measure the distance from the tongue to the ground. Pick holes on the drop bar that will move the ball up 2". You can flip the drop bar over so the part that is now sticking down is sticking up if need be. Hook up to the new TV and verify that the measured distance is the same, or as close as you can get it given the hole spacing. Adjust up or down a hole if required. If your rig is not level now just pick holes that will make it level with the new TV. If you change the level, weight distribution may need to be adjusted.

Be sure to get the bolts tight. Your hitch manual should give you a torque value to use.

This is from my experience with Equalizer and ProPride hitches but they are similar enough that this should work. I just performed a similar adjustment to my ProPride because I put a 3" lift kit on my trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Hi, this spring we changed tow vehicles for our 22 as well. We went from a Volvo XC90 to a new Chevy Tahoe. The Tahoe hitch receiver is much higher than the Volvo. For the Volvo, we had a short drop bar pointing up. The Tahoe needed a long drop bar pointing down. Like you, I didn’t want to bring the cars and the Airstream anyplace, so I figured out the dimension difference and found a local Equalizer dealer who bolted the hitch to the new longer drop bar for me for a nominal charge in addition to the cost of the new drop bar. (It has bolts much bigger than my wrenches and they needed to be torqued correctly so I didn’t want to do it myself). On the first attempt the back of the trailer was a tad low so I brought the hitch back and they moved it up a hole. Now it’s good.
Rich
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
You should be able to do all the adjustments yourself, but as noted above, after getting the hitch setup dialed in you’ll most likely need to get help to finally torque things to spec. And depending on how particular you are, you may well wind up with a better setup; I’ve heard some sad stories about what’s “good enough” for some commercial dealers or trailer outfits.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:29 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
If your new GLS has air ride don't forget it changes height at speed. Set it up in sport mode and it will not change at speed.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I use the old wheel well to center of wheel measurements to dial in the set up. Measure the TV unhitched and then replicate the measurement when hitched.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
If your new GLS has air ride don't forget it changes height at speed. Set it up in sport mode and it will not change at speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I use the old wheel well to center of wheel measurements to dial in the set up. Measure the TV unhitched and then replicate the measurement when hitched.
After these posts, I want to let you know on many vehicles you must temporarily disable the air ride to correctly setup a weight distributing hitch with fender measurements. If you don't the vehicle will change the measurements before the WD is correct.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote