Old 08-19-2004, 04:53 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
Well I am back to square one again so have posted another thread in hopes that a bambi 19' owner can also chime in. This hitch came in today but the service dept manager thinks it is to heavy of a system for our trailer as the metal on the Bambi is lighter than the 22 or 25'. I sure wish I could just use this Straight Line Hitch as it seems to be a good set up which eliminates the U bars, and all who use it feel very secure pulling with it.

He will call Reese tomorrow to double check, but if any of you know if this has been used successfully on the Bambi 19' please let me know as I can pass that along, and any other suggestions/input much appreciated.

Thanks again,

I towed a 19' Bambi on a Toyota Tundra (2004) 4WD Ext Cab and used a Reese Dual Cam hitch. I am not sure of the model but it is the latest version. You have to drill in the frame to install it. (I have other posts about installation in the forum.) The Bambi towed well and I drove it about 4000 miles. There was one point I got some sway driving on 75 south in Fla but I realized I should not be driving 70 MPH. The rest of the trip I took it easy and it towed very well. I have since upgraded to a 25' Safari and it turns out this trailer actually tows better.

Good Luck and let us know what you ended up doing.

DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Single axle trailer is more prone to sway then a dual axle. The tandame axles will help fight the sway. I run a dual cam on our 59 Caravaner and weight wise it's around what that bambi is. It's rated 2700lb empty.

I error on the side of safety. I would rather have too much sway control then not enough. We white knuckeld that trailer home 30 miles when the hitch gear was misplaced. NEVER again will I mistakenly think It's light and were pulling it with a larger vehcile. The sad thing is I have been in a situation that a utility trailer about put me on the roof at 70mph. I was still dumb enough to think we would be fin because the coach had around 600lb of tounge weight.

Buy the inline set up and go with it if that's what you want. It will work fine.

That first turn your going to hear a loud's normal for the cams to make noise. It means they are working. once you back in line the system is quite on the hwy. Only tight turns will get it to pop like that. It sounds louder then it really is.

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:36 PM   #17
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE
2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
New hitch on order!

Okay, here's what we're getting:

Reese Dual Cam (not HP) part #26000, with Reese WD part #66021.

Here's why Reese Straight Line system won't work with our Bambi 19' CCD:

The Bambi has a 3" channel frame rail from the A coupler (neck) back.
The dual cam bracket if installed on this frame will have appx 1 1/2" of play to be dealt with, resulting in an improper/ insecure installation, and this is according to the Reese technician along with the service manager at my dealership, who brought this to my attention upon recieving this system and observing this potential problem with our installation.

The dual axel trailers have a 5" box frame and the Straight Line system fits this application to a tee, with the dual cam bracket having just a small amount of play left for adjustments.

I want to thank everyone for all the input, I hope this is a heads up to others with a Bambi that want the Reese Dual Cam system, as this was certainly a learning experience for me....I used to know more about knitting than hitches

Will take a pic when done and post here to show off the new stuff, can't wait to get this thing and use it...I saw it today and it's real pretty

CaliforniaStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:59 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
Hi Barbara,

I towed my 22' CCD to Alaska this summer with my Tundra. I used an Equalizer. I had trouble getting the proper fit for my frame with the Reese which was my first choice. I do think the Reese is the best system available if you can make it work on your smaller frame.

As for the mirrors, I love my McKesh mirrors. They worked well, and my wife who previously hated driving our tow vehicle, became comfortable driving it which was a big help on the trip.

Good luck,

2004 22' Intl CCD
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 (Std Cab)
temcotom is offline   Reply With Quote