Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
beaufort , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
In addition to a weight distribution/anti sway hitch system, you will also need to install a quality trailer brake controller in your Yukon. Without this, the brakes on your Airstream will not operate.

You will also need some type of trailer mirrors for your Yukon. The standard mirrors on your Yukon are not suitable for towing an Airstream.

Brian
Brian extended mirrors ordered......Im trying to determine now if my 2010 yukon denali has an internal break system.....I know i have a button on my stalk that lights up a trailer on my dash....I used this when pulling my boat
angustami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by angustami View Post
Brian extended mirrors ordered......Im trying to determine now if my 2010 yukon denali has an internal break system.....I know i have a button on my stalk that lights up a trailer on my dash....I used this when pulling my boat
I imagine that button is to engage the towing mode which affects transmission shifting, engine braking, etc. Likely not anything to do with electric brake controls.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Where? No mention of this on the Blue Ox web site. I just got of the phone with Blue Ox. The laughed when I quoted you. They make no such recommendation.
Michael - here is the reference from their website (FAQs). Notice their reference to "reducing sway". . . . .

Is the sway dampening feature as functional as the friction brake type used with Easy Lift and others?
Blue Ox offers a friction sway control arm as an accessory, however tests prove the design of the hitch alone reduces sway more than a conventional weight distribution hitch with sway control. Thus, Blue Ox feels the consumer try the hitch alone and find no additional sway control is needed. I don’t know that it’s MORE than conventional WITH sway control. Might be more than a conventional WITHOUT sway control.

May want to call Blue Ox back and get them to correct their website if you can get the same giggler on the phone again.

BTW - looks like a nice hitch.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Offering and recommending adding one -- even two -- additional friction controls for better performance are two different things. I was just told they have never sold the bar or even had a request for one. They do have 10 in stock if anyone is interested. After nearly 3000 miles on my Blue Ox I have not seen a need for additional sway control. Does anyone with actual experience with the current Blue Ox Sway Pro have a comment on this?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Michael, the point is Blue Ox is not a sway elimination hitch as you claim, but a sway dampening hitch. Only ProPride and Hensley can provide sway elimination.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Michael, the point is Blue Ox is not a sway elimination hitch as you claim, but a sway dampening hitch. Only ProPride and Hensley can provide sway elimination.

You are of course as usual entitled to your uninformed opinion.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #27
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
You have plenty of recommendations as to hitch, so I have a different suggestion: If your Yukon did not come with a transmission heat gauge, be sure to get one installed even if you are outfitted with a tranny cooler (which I am sure you are).

If there is a weak spot in your rig, it is overheating your tranny without realizing it.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I cannot help you with your hitch selection, other than saying That when I read product reviews (any product in general), I usually ignore the reviews that say only good/bad things about a product, as I believe those users are not fully aware of the tradeoffs involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I've seen them even lower. The point might be made that price needn't be an obstacle as the difference is two entirely different classes of hitch design.

Price IS an obstacle for many, including myself. If you got it, you got it (money). Get a ProPride. If you ain't got it, you ain't got it (I ain't got no money). You get what you can afford.
I would live to have a four wheel drive truck, too, but that ain't gonna happen, either. The two wheel drive truck I have is paid for and has 44,000 miles and new tires. I can't imagine a $600 a month truck payment.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Thumbs up

Quote:
Offering and recommending adding one -- even two -- additional friction controls for better performance are two different things. I was just told they have never sold the bar or even had a request for one. They do have 10 in stock if anyone is interested. After nearly 3000 miles on my Blue Ox I have not seen a need for additional sway control. Does anyone with actual experience with the current Blue Ox Sway Pro have a comment on this?
Seems some folks on this thread don't like Blue Ox it seems; not sure why? We are on our 2nd BO and have towed both 25' AS's over 16K miles, without any issues...we also had a Reese on our first 06' ,25' AS, pulling with a Tahoe; no problems, but it made a lot of noise when backing up. We had a "used" Hensley on our second 08', 25' AS, (again with Tahoe), which broke soon after we got it. The dealer only had Blue Ox in stock, so we went with it. For 2 years, 10K miles, no issues, but moved away from Tahoe and got the F-150 Echoboost. When we got our new 25' this past year, we got the newer model Blue Ox and have 6K on it so far; no issues. From my perspective, BO works great for us; easy to set up, very safe, offers both sway and equalizer weight distribution benefits, and was not overly expensive; you can get them on Amazon or locally at many dealers.
I don't work for Amazon but here is the site I found it on for around $550~:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BXW100...ue+ox+sway+pro
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have nothing against Blue Ox, only recommending ProPride or Hensley based on our experience. It is the only sway elimination hitch, all others react to sway by dampening it. If I understood the remarkable difference in overall performance before I bought two other hitches, then a ProPride, I could have saved some money.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Experience with a 2010 Yukon Denali

Hi Angustami,

I have a 2010 Yukon Denali (short wheelbase) towing a 2013 25FB Flying Cloud.

My Yukon can display the tranny temp on the DIC display. It has the built-in trailer brake controller; look on your dash left of and below the steering wheel for a pair of levers you can squeeze and plus and minus buttons. And it does have an external tranny cooler. I think these items are all standard on the Denali.

It's very important to have some brand of weight distributing hitch with a Yukon and a 25 foot Airstream. My trailer had no options from the factory. The Airstream web site listed the empty tongue weight as about 840 pounds. The first camping trip out, we weighed at a truck scale and found the tongue weight was 900 pounds. With our trailer connected but the weight distribution bars removed, the load on the rear axle was 4420 pounds, which exceed the Yukon rear axle rating by 220 pounds. With weight distribution connected, the rear axle weight changed to 3880.

I started out with the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. We were getting a little sway with the combination, and I talked with the Blue Ox factory guys about it, but did not get a solution. They did not say anything about adding on a friction sway bar (there did not seem to be any place to attach one to the hitch I had). I sold the Sway Pro and had an EAZ Lift round bar hitch with two friction bars installed.

I also had a couple of pieces of angle iron welded to the Yukon receiver (underneath, near the spare tire) to reduce the flex that occurs when weight is loaded on the receiver. When you hook up, you might watch to see how much your receiver rotates when you drop the trailer on, and when you tighten the weight distribution.

By the way, we have added some upgrades to our trailer and found more "stuff" we want to take along, so my trailer tongue weight was 990 pounds last time it was measured, and I'm up to within 160 pounds of the Yukon's GVWR.

Good luck with your decisions!
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Hi Angustami,

I have a 2010 Yukon Denali (short wheelbase) towing a 2013 25FB Flying Cloud.

My Yukon can display the tranny temp on the DIC display. It has the built-in trailer brake controller; look on your dash left of and below the steering wheel for a pair of levers you can squeeze and plus and minus buttons. And it does have an external tranny cooler. I think these items are all standard on the Denali.

It's very important to have some brand of weight distributing hitch with a Yukon and a 25 foot Airstream. My trailer had no options from the factory. The Airstream web site listed the empty tongue weight as about 840 pounds. The first camping trip out, we weighed at a truck scale and found the tongue weight was 900 pounds. With our trailer connected but the weight distribution bars removed, the load on the rear axle was 4420 pounds, which exceed the Yukon rear axle rating by 220 pounds. With weight distribution connected, the rear axle weight changed to 3880.

I started out with the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. We were getting a little sway with the combination, and I talked with the Blue Ox factory guys about it, but did not get a solution. They did not say anything about adding on a friction sway bar (there did not seem to be any place to attach one to the hitch I had). I sold the Sway Pro and had an EAZ Lift round bar hitch with two friction bars installed.

I also had a couple of pieces of angle iron welded to the Yukon receiver (underneath, near the spare tire) to reduce the flex that occurs when weight is loaded on the receiver. When you hook up, you might watch to see how much your receiver rotates when you drop the trailer on, and when you tighten the weight distribution.

By the way, we have added some upgrades to our trailer and found more "stuff" we want to take along, so my trailer tongue weight was 990 pounds last time it was measured, and I'm up to within 160 pounds of the Yukon's GVWR.

Good luck with your decisions!
Interesting experience with the sway. Not sure; do you have an automatic sway control built into your Denali? I know I was told by Blue Ox to disable on my F-150 each time I start engine. I don't know if I had it on my Tahoe's. Was told the automatic sway control can work against the hitch? Not sure if it would be factor? I know I did not have any issues pulling with the Tahoe except for Tahoe had no power up hills. That's why I got the F150 Echoboost.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
My Yukon does not have electronic sway control. I don't think it was available in 2010.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
beaufort , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Interesting experience with the sway. Not sure; do you have an automatic sway control built into your Denali? I know I was told by Blue Ox to disable on my F-150 each time I start engine. I don't know if I had it on my Tahoe's. Was told the automatic sway control can work against the hitch? Not sure if it would be factor? I know I did not have any issues pulling with the Tahoe except for Tahoe had no power up hills. That's why I got the F150 Echoboost.
I don't believe so...
angustami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #36
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I think THIS is the smartest suggestion I've read in this entire thread. (Ranks up there with a tranny temp gauge) Strengthen or replace the receiver regardless of what you decide to slide in to it.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
AndrewT's got a pic of how they reinforce a truck hitch receiver where the spare tire is still easily accessible.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Price IS an obstacle for many, including myself. If you got it, you got it (money). Get a ProPride. If you ain't got it, you ain't got it (I ain't got no money). You get what you can afford.
I would live to have a four wheel drive truck, too, but that ain't gonna happen, either. The two wheel drive truck I have is paid for and has 44,000 miles and new tires. I can't imagine a $600 a month truck payment.

The VPP hitches can be found used all the time for less than half the price of new. It's a false argument of economy given the value of the two vehicles and the grave importance of lashup.

A BO looks good to me for the price but not if I can find the better one for not a lot more. WD is not as critical if one ranges from 50-100% FALR given TV instructions as antisway is not dependent on WD, though rig handling is for most combos.

A
Old 12-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
You are of course as usual entitled to your uninformed opinion.

We can follow you and your rig and video the constant out of alignment movement of the TT. It will be slight but constant. With a VPP hitch that doesn't exist. It is most noticeable in lane changes.

The BO looks good in design for simplicity, but friction controls would tighten it up. That you may not feel you need it is another question altogether.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I believe there should be a federal law making the use of PPP type hitches mandatory and anyone arguing for use of any other type of hitch should be persecuted to the fullest.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote