Old 12-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I believe the info in post number nine is incorrect. No addon sway devices are necessary for the b o sway control. Correct me if I am wrong, won't be the first time. Jim

Old 12-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
This hitch is capable of ordinary antisway resistance and no more. The manufacturer recommends adding one -- even two -- additional friction controls for better performance.
Could you site your referance for that claim?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I already did
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
hitch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I believe the info in post number nine is incorrect. No addon sway devices are necessary for the b o sway control. Correct me if I am wrong, won't be the first time. Jim

"Necessary" and "recommended" are not the same any more than are "eliminate" and "resistant to".

The anti sway resistance is no more than conventional. Friction controls increase that minimal amount. The advantage of the hitch would appear to be the fresh take on the old design. Simplicity.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I already did
Where? No mention of this on the Blue Ox web site. I just got of the phone with Blue Ox. The laughed when I quoted you. They make no such recommendation.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 12-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It would help if you read the site. See the FAQ. And anyone understanding hitch design knows the limitations of what spring bars provide AND knows that this is the standard prescription for increased sway resistance.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
beaufort , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
In addition to a weight distribution/anti sway hitch system, you will also need to install a quality trailer brake controller in your Yukon. Without this, the brakes on your Airstream will not operate.

You will also need some type of trailer mirrors for your Yukon. The standard mirrors on your Yukon are not suitable for towing an Airstream.

Brian
Brian extended mirrors ordered......Im trying to determine now if my 2010 yukon denali has an internal break system.....I know i have a button on my stalk that lights up a trailer on my dash....I used this when pulling my boat
Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by angustami View Post
Brian extended mirrors ordered......Im trying to determine now if my 2010 yukon denali has an internal break system.....I know i have a button on my stalk that lights up a trailer on my dash....I used this when pulling my boat
I imagine that button is to engage the towing mode which affects transmission shifting, engine braking, etc. Likely not anything to do with electric brake controls.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Where? No mention of this on the Blue Ox web site. I just got of the phone with Blue Ox. The laughed when I quoted you. They make no such recommendation.
Michael - here is the reference from their website (FAQs). Notice their reference to "reducing sway". . . . .

Is the sway dampening feature as functional as the friction brake type used with Easy Lift and others?
Blue Ox offers a friction sway control arm as an accessory, however tests prove the design of the hitch alone reduces sway more than a conventional weight distribution hitch with sway control. Thus, Blue Ox feels the consumer try the hitch alone and find no additional sway control is needed. I don’t know that it’s MORE than conventional WITH sway control. Might be more than a conventional WITHOUT sway control.

May want to call Blue Ox back and get them to correct their website if you can get the same giggler on the phone again.

BTW - looks like a nice hitch.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Offering and recommending adding one -- even two -- additional friction controls for better performance are two different things. I was just told they have never sold the bar or even had a request for one. They do have 10 in stock if anyone is interested. After nearly 3000 miles on my Blue Ox I have not seen a need for additional sway control. Does anyone with actual experience with the current Blue Ox Sway Pro have a comment on this?

Old 12-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Michael, the point is Blue Ox is not a sway elimination hitch as you claim, but a sway dampening hitch. Only ProPride and Hensley can provide sway elimination.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Michael, the point is Blue Ox is not a sway elimination hitch as you claim, but a sway dampening hitch. Only ProPride and Hensley can provide sway elimination.

You are of course as usual entitled to your uninformed opinion.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #27
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
You have plenty of recommendations as to hitch, so I have a different suggestion: If your Yukon did not come with a transmission heat gauge, be sure to get one installed even if you are outfitted with a tranny cooler (which I am sure you are).

If there is a weak spot in your rig, it is overheating your tranny without realizing it.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I cannot help you with your hitch selection, other than saying That when I read product reviews (any product in general), I usually ignore the reviews that say only good/bad things about a product, as I believe those users are not fully aware of the tradeoffs involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums