Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
High Rise Hitch Ball compatible with equalizing hitch setup?

My dad towed several hundred thousand miles on a high rise hitch ball. He had a well-made, nonadjustable hitch insert made for his 1969 Chevy van when we towed his 1966 24' Airstream. The high rise ball was needed when he began towing with a 1971 International Travellall.

I recently added 1.5" of lift to my Airstream Bambi. This was done to make clearance for entering and leaving our sloped driveway. We would put a 2 x 10 board down, so I figured I only needed to add 1.5" of lift to our trailer to get rid of the board routine. This was done by adding a 1.5" square metal tube between the new Torflex and the frame.

I need to adjust the hitch height, but CanAm cut off the holes/stem of the hitch insert to maker it more befitting of our minivan setup. When I invert the hitch insert to add rise, I am not sure there is enough meat above the top hole to be safe. And the angle adjusting screw has very little to rest against.

Am I OK getting a hitch ball with a 2" rise to compensate for the rise I have added to the trailer? Do high rise balls play nice with equalizing hitch setups? Dad never had any trouble, but there are always questions in the back of my mind...

Thanks for any advice. Looking for a 2" rise hitch ball locally, but etrailer.com has them for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minivan-hitch-2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	311653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Minivan-hitch-3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	311654  

Name:	Minivan-hitch.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	311655  
Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I think the additional 2" has two problems. First, the additional 2" changes the geometry of the WD hitch which was designed assuming a standard ball on the hitch head. The angle of the WD bars on their supports on the trailer frame may change the WD and anti-sway operation of the hitch. Second, the trailer forces applied when starting or stopping now are acting through a substantially different lever arm. This could put additional stresses on the hitch head, even if the extended ball is designed to withstand them.

In your situation I think I would buy a new shank.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
To Al's point, I would likewise avoid a taller ball.

That inverted stinger has enough meat above the top hole that it wouldn't concern me. The set screw doesn't look right in that it probably should have washer underneath to support it? It is a bit short something to sit against. Just about any welder should be able to put enough metal on top of that stinger to add a backing for the stop. Easy $20 job in my mind.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Skipped the high rise ball idea and instead opted to weld a hefty piece of steel angle iron to the top of the stinger to give the adjustment screw something to rest against.

I will get the geometry ironed out inf the next trip or two. We leave Friday for Williamsburg, VA. Looking forward to a good trip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	minivan-hitch-modified.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	311835   Click image for larger version

Name:	minivan-hitch-modified-2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	311836