Old 05-28-2016, 01:57 AM   #113
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissi View Post
We have the PP, and have not found it to be user friendly at all. I have searched through the forums, and people seem to love this hitch, and don't have the problems we have. We are new to the rv world, and towing, so I suspect there is an element of user error and inexperience involved. We frequently have a tough time lining it up just perfect to hitch up. He has a backup camera to help. Nothing like ending a wonderful weekend by spending a frustrating hour or two trying to get hooked up and out of the campground. Last trip we were on an uneven spot, and when trying to hook up the stinger was at a slight angle (kind of like trying to put a diamond into a square hole) We spent 1-2 hours on it, with everyone in the campground putting in their 2 cents to help. Got frustrated and drove home without the trailer. My husband grabbed his tools, went back and took hitch off, and towed home with his ball hitch. We are finished with that thing, don't know why we can't get the hang of it!
I know exactly how you feel. We also were new to the RV world when we bought our AS and PP in December, and many times in those early months, I regretted the PP purchase and wanted to ditch the hitch for a simpler setup. There was already so much to learn and deal with (AS issues and an accident), that the complexity of the PP hitch and the problems we were having with it almost put us over the edge.

However, it turned out our dealer had installed the yoke upside down and had not tightened bolts to the appropriate level, which not only caused frightening sway issues, but made hitching and unhitching a nightmare because we had to have the stinger lined up EXACTLY as there was not the appropriate flexibility in the positioning of the receiver.

Like others have said here, if you have the dealer install the hitch, be familiar with how it should be installed and then watch them do it. We did not follow that advice.

Sean took several frantic calls from me over December and into January. He was ALWAYS there when I called and on two occasions, he overnighted parts to us at no charge. If not for the excellent customer service, we would have given up on the PP.

Once we got the PP installed correctly and we went full-time in February, we got pretty good at hitching up. By now, we've hitched up almost 50 times and pretty much follow the process that DC Bruce described. Even so and after many dozens of easy hitching, we not so long ago had an occasion where it took over an hour and many tries to get it to work. Turns out we weren't paying close enough attention to the vertical angle of receiver to stinger because it had been so long since we had had that situation. We loosened the WD bars more to raise the angle of the receiver, and easy peasy.

In the end, I'm very happy we stuck with the PP because it is so rock solid and we have complete confidence in it. We never have sway, no matter what. And now hitching and unhitching is easy and familiar. But there definitely was a learning curve for these newbies.

Joanne

Old 05-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #114

Currently Looking...
Springfield , Missouri
Thank you Joanne, and others that have offered helpful tips. I appreciate hearing that someone else has had some difficulty, and it is not just us. I do wonder if something was not installed or adjusted correctly. We have some thinks to consider. Currently the PP hitch is in our garage. My husband is taking the trailer out this week with a different hitch. We will see how the handling compares, and decide if we want to give the PP another shot. (Pretty sure my husband has run out of patience with it though) Neither of us have much experience towing, but we have both felt confident and comfortable towing the trailer with the PP. We will see how it feels with another.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:41 PM   #115
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissi View Post
... I do wonder if something was not installed or adjusted correctly. We have some thinks to consider. Currently the PP hitch is in our garage. My husband is taking the trailer out this week with a different hitch. We will see how the handling compares, and decide if we want to give the PP another shot. (Pretty sure my husband has run out of patience with it though) Neither of us have much experience towing, but we have both felt confident and comfortable towing the trailer with the PP. We will see how it feels with another.
If your husband is willing to give it another try, I would encourage you to send photos of your setup to Sean (he spotted the incorrect installation when I sent photos to him - make sure the PP label on the yoke is right-side up!), and perhaps even send him a video of your problems with hitching. If I remember correctly, we used FaceTime from one campsite so I could show him in realtime the problem we were having. He was very patient and was an immense help.

Also of immense help was khollister from these forums who helped my husband reinstall the hitch correctly! And then helped him again later to reinstall the parts that had been damaged from the original faulty install. Without Keith and Sean, I was ready to dump the PP and buy a Blue Ox.

That said, we went with the PP because we were going full-time and planned to travel over much of the country in all types of terrain and all types of weather for several years, so we wanted a heavy-duty hitch that would guarantee no sway issues. If we were going to simply use the Airstream for weekends and short vacations and stay in the southeast, we likely would have gone with the Blue Ox just because it's a lot cheaper and would be good enough for us in those circumstances.

Joanne
Old 07-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Go ProPride

I too was in the same gather information mode - Hensley v ProPride - that you are in. My conclusion was that you can't make a bad decision. That said, the new design reality by both unit's inventor pushed me in the ProPride direction. Ultimately, I visited Sean and his Dad in their Grand Blanc, MI factory. They are good folks with a proven service orientation. Best wishes with your decision. Safe travels.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have the Hensley Arrow from our 2013 25FB International Serenity we took off and stored now installed on our 2015 23D International Serenity. After picking the 23D up on the East coast, I went by CanAm and they fine tuned the installation including tack welding the mounting brackets to the framed and exchanging the lift jacks for overhauled ones that did not unwind on their own.

I installed a ProPride on the 2014 31' Classic by myself in the storage unit as it was the second generation design. Spent time on the phone with Sean and he made some shims for me that filled in the gap on the frame under the "U" brackets.

Have been pleased with both units. They do what they say - no sway issues.

Since the big mud flaps on the truck are attached to the ProPride stinger, I usually leave it in place. I can remove it at home and place it on bucket in the garage if necessary.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #118
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
the new design reality by both unit's inventor pushed me in the ProPride direction.
The PP is not a "new" design. It is a different design, designed quite some time ago.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

Spent time on the phone with Sean and he made some shims for me that filled in the gap on the frame under the "U" brackets.

Same here as well. The shims were needed on my Nov '15 installed unit.

Sean sent them to me, free, to my RV Park in San Antonio this spring.

In this day and age, the service and support he provides is exceptional.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
We're the ubolts swimming around a little? Would you post a pic of the shims installed?
Old 07-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Hensley vs. ProPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
We're the ubolts swimming around a little? Would you post a pic of the shims installed?

Yes sir.

I would, but the trailer is rolling at 70+ behind me at the moment as my wife drives down I95

I'll get a chance today.

Yeah, so the shims go inboard, spread the force of the clamp bolt, and take up the space so the U can no longer twist on the frame.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #122

1973 21' Globetrotter
Bonita , California
New at towing, new at airstreams; looking for sway bar advice for hitching my 21' Globetrotter to a 08 MDX rated at 5000# towing.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Hensley vs. ProPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Yes sir.

I would, but the trailer is rolling at 70+ behind me at the moment as my wife drives down I95

I'll get a chance today.

Yeah, so the shims go inboard, spread the force of the clamp bolt, and take up the space so the U can no longer twist on the frame.

Here's a quick pic:

The shim is between the frame and the U bolt; held down by the bolt at upper left of the picture.

This is the left or driver/services side of the trailer.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
That explains it--fills the gap between the frame and the WD jack. Thanks for the pic!
Old 07-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Sean counter sunk a hole on one side of my shims so the clamp bolt would hold the shim in place by both a mechanical (sticking into the hole) and friction pressure connection.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Yes sir.

I'll get a chance today.

70 mile an hour, really? Way too fast for us. Please travel safely for your safety and all those on the road near you.