Old 12-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
On the question of hitch removal. ProPride would probably take only 15 minutes to remove and only require an adjustable wrench and the key to your hitch lock. The u-bolts on the WD bars have 4 nuts to remove and there is one bolt for the yoke center bracket. Then the jack to WD bar links just lift off the hooks. The jacks and yoke anchor crossbar can stay on the AS without interference with towing on the ball. Admittedly you get to lift some heavy stuff once it's off. I doubt the Hensley is much lighter.

Based on what I've experienced with my ProPride I doubt I'd have to take it off. It's very solid, and we travel over some pretty rough roads.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Corona , California
My only real concern about the ProPride is the two safety locking pins for the overcenter hitch latches. I've dropped them into the dirt being clumsy, but they are available in big box hardware stores and I'm sure a call to Sean would get me replacements in a hurry. A sturdy pair of hardened shackle padlocks would do in a pinch. Or all else fails, a short Phillips screwdriver with duct tape to lock it in. That's the only part I worry about.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
I once traveled a bit more than 100 miles with both of the pins missing; neglected to put them in. Heart went in my throat when I was unhitching at our next destination and didn't see them. No harm done but scared me enough that I will never forget to insert them again. Good thing the wife doesn't follow these topics, I haven't fessed up to that one.

Thank goodness they are over-center latches rather than ones which are in-line. The over-center feature uses a cam-like action to lock the latch into place.

Most decent hardware stores carry these locking pins, just bring in the one supplied with the hitch to match size. Keep the spares next to the spare hitch pin and clip.

I also fitted lockouts to the end of the over-center adjusters to keep them at the proper adjustment.

Greg
Old 12-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I use a padlock in place of one of my over-center locking pins anyway. It adds a small measure of security for me as someone would have to work harder to detach the trailer. In all my towing I have never had one of my cams come loose and contact the pins anyway.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I do a lot of uphill and downhill towing. If the over center latch is a touch loose it could work loose downhill. Not a good situation given all the forces on the stinger. I like the padlock idea for security when parked but I wonder if you had an emergency (like a fire or gas leak) and needed to unhitch fast, fumbling for the right key could cause a delay. It's hard enough finding the breaker bar sometimes. Dunno what to think on this one!

Glad to see it 'usually' stays hitched. I triple check the hitch, jack, stabilizers and step before driving, and at every stop. Not that I'm paranoid....😄

I don't want to test the chains or breakaway switch for reals....

Old 12-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
We've had both. IMHO the Pro Pride exceeds the Hensley in both engineering quality, ease of hooking up as well as customer support (yaaay Sean)

>>ron<<
Old 12-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I've always been impressed with the sheer strength of the parts and how smoothly it swivels. Support both pre and post sale is super. I asked Sean a lot of questions before I bought ours, and I can be a PITA on engineering stuff.

I've also found that once you understand how it works, hitching and unhitching at extreme angles is quite easy. Just need to get the box aimed at the stinger and back it in.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:53 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
I am making the same decision now on which to buy, and one thing that was not mentioned in this thread is ease of use, I heard it was easier hitching up the ProPride because it is a wider opening and can connect at an angle. Any comments on ease of use?
I am purchasing 2016 23FB and 2017 Audi Q7 gas.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:26 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Hensley vs. ProPride

I find the ProPride to be fairly easy to hook up for exactly that reason. Once you understand that the hitch head needs to be aligned fairly close, you will find it easy to hit the opening. I stop a few inches away and adjust the height precisely, then in it goes. Have done it at odd tilts and angles up to almost 90 degrees to one side. Sometimes a little fiddling with the WD jacks to tilt it just right, but you get the feel of it quickly.

I refuse to tow my rig with anything else. The stability is amazing compared to the old Husky brand setup I gave away as junk. I can dial in the WD to eliminate all porpoising and get a very nice ride at speeds I'd rather not tow at. (Got going a little too fast across Texas one day--gently backed down from 75+ when I realized how fast we were going. Was still super smooth at that speed.

I prefer the ProPride because it seems to be built heavier, does not require drilling holes in the A-frame, and I liked Sean's excellent support. The adjustable height and tilt stinger also saved me a lot of pain when I went to a taller Tow vehicle.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Currently using both.

Had the Hensley on our 2013 25FB as the ProPride was not on the radar much in September of 2012. Kept it when we traded in on the Classic.

Installed the ProPride on the Classic since it was the second Jim Hensley design with many improvements. Use a 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins as tow vehicle.

The Hensley Arrow returned to service on our 23D being towed by our 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI with a 3.0L diesel. The 23D scales at 6,068 pounds fully loaded. This is a better size for this car as all the ratings are in spec. We overloaded the axles when our 25FB was loaded for camping. Since I tow at 55mph with the 23D, I get passed a lot on the interstates and secondary highways. No sway issues at all.

Both are easy enough to hitch. Just takes practice. To be fair, both of mu tow vehicles have rear view cameras and that makes hitching world's easier. I can adjust the screw jacks to fine tune the ride as needed.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Corona , California
My previous TV didn't have a backup camera, but it was not a real issue hooking up. Just used a spotter to guide me to a stop before I hit anything. Used a reference mark in the AS and TV to line up close enough. Admittedly, we are short enough that I don't disconnect until we get to final destination. When in route I just use pull-through sites and stay connected. Get underway quicker that way. Usually didn't even crank stabilizers unless it was real windy. Leveled with tongue jack as needed.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Was initially intimidated by the PP, but all you need to do is read their materials and ask fellow Airstreamers if you need help. Has not been necessary to call Sean yet, but would feel comfortable doing so. The PP has proved much easier to use than I anticipated; the back up camera system on our F250 is great and I am yet to miss hooking up. Was especially worried that angles would be a problem, but that as not been at all problematic. Towing is great; did a bit of fine tuning and our rig is very stable.
2016 F250 King Ranch 6.7 4x4 Crew Cab "Tex"
Members, North Texas Airstream Community
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Sounds like my story. I talked to Sean before I bought it to get a few dozen questions answered, and determine bar rating. Followed directions, with help from a couple jacks, a pry at, and an 18-year old daughter to assist, it went together and worked great.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
We've had both. IMHO the Pro Pride exceeds the Hensley in both engineering quality, ease of hooking up as well as customer support (yaaay Sean)

>>ron<<
I disagree wholeheartedly on the above statement of superior engineering quality. I see absolutely no engineering advantage whatsoever in the PP over the Hensley for my application towing a 27' Airstream.