Old 05-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
Just to be clear.... and from a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackybilly1 View Post
All thing being equal and already having the Hensleys, I would have used one but after buying a new TV with a considerably higher receiver ('13 Suburban 2500), the Hensley has been rendered useless to me and apparently, there is nothing Hensley can or will do to provide me with a solution.

These are just my opinions based on my experience and comparisons. Again, if my TV worked with the HA, I'd be using it and just keeping an eye on the things that I think are the weak links on that hitch. On the other hand, I can't ever see me buying another. The HA was as good as it got until something better came along...namely, the ProPride.

Z

Like many here, we are all in so deep on our expensive hobby that a few hundred dollars one way or the other wouldn't kill any of us if we thought the more expensive hitch was better. But on the other hand, I wouldn't buy a Murray lawn tractor if I could get a John Deere or a Kubota cheaper (not trying to offend Murray lawn tractor people either).

Z

Old 05-08-2014, 02:28 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I lack the correct spelling but this is close phonetically - chi zen - which means never ending improvement. The name of the game for me is safety for us and our rig and those around me on the road.

My starting point weight is now around 18,000 pounds and likely to get closer to 18,500 when we load the balance of the stuff like food, top off the fresh water tank and other boon docking stuff that goes into the truck bed. That mass needs to stop when and where I want it to and not have a weak link in the connection between the truck and trailer.

Having said that, in the few thousand miles we used the Hensley, there was obvious wearing of parts that are or should be considered consumables. Those parts are not on the ProPride which is what one might expect in the second generation design of a product. If a third generation were to appear, I would carefully review the changes and if I like what I see, more forward with the next generation.

My Airstream experience to date mirrors my airplane and boat experience. The initial acquisition cost helps determine the size of the hole down which more money will flow in the future.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
My Airstream experience to date mirrors my airplane and boat experience. The initial acquisition cost helps determine the size of the hole down which more money will flow in the future.

I hear you loud and clear, Lou. Reminds me of the saying...if it floats, flies or fornicates...rent it. Thankfully, our Silver Bullets didn't make the cut on that saying.

Agreed that for what our TT and TVs cost, it's no time to start cutting corners on quality/safety.

The way I've got it figured, I could stay in the Towers of the Waldorf Astoria of New York continuously for 1.8 years for what I've got tied up in travel trailers and TV's....but then I would miss out on the joys of sanitizing sewer hoses and re-packing wheel bearings.

Roughing it isn't cheap and that is before you ever get out of the driveway!

Z
Old 05-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
in the few thousand miles we used the Hensley, there was obvious wearing of parts that are or should be considered consumables. Those parts are not on the ProPride which is what one might expect in the second generation design of a product.
Switz: What parts on the Hensley do you consider consumable? I understand that all of the parts are covered by Hensley's lifetime warranty. Also, why do you think the ProPride is the "second generation design" of the Hensley?
Old 05-09-2014, 02:33 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I am overseas at the moment and had a senior brain flash, so will have to look at my unit upon our return for the parts name. I also have the bag of consumables suggested to be carried at all times. None of those consumables are in/on the second generation hitch.

Jim Hensley designed the unit with his name on it and the company is not his, but pays him a royalty on each unit sold. He made a second generation design and the Hensley company declined the opportunity to move forward. So Sean, who was an employee at the Hensley company, started the ProPride company making the new design from Jim Hensley.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Trying to keep it to two sentences...

Support from Sean at ProPride
ProPride next evolution of Hensley

ProPride all the way!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
Quote:
I am overseas at the moment and had a senior brain flash, so will have to look at my unit upon our return for the parts name. I also have the bag of consumables suggested to be carried at all times. None of those consumables are in/on the second generation hitch.

Jim Hensley designed the unit with his name on it and the company is not his, but pays him a royalty on each unit sold. He made a second generation design and the Hensley company declined the opportunity to move forward. So Sean, who was an employee at the Hensley company, started the ProPride company making the new design from Jim Hensley.
Switz: I bought a new Hensley Arrow a few weeks ago and I did not get a "bag of consumables" from them. I have looked all over my hitch and I don't see any part, other than grease, that I would consider a consumable part.

My understanding is this second hitch Jim Hensley designed was for a different application and was never meant to be a "second generation design".
Old 05-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
You get to pay for the consumables. It is a bag with extra parts such as extra pins, collars for the spring jacks and the special spring nose plunger. They charge an arm and a leg for this little bag of goodies. The other wear item is the socket for the spring bars. They do get egg shaped after awhile and sometimes the weld that holds them together can break.
As with any hitch there are things that need to be periodically inspected.

There are two areas where HA could have improved upon which are the the silly little spring nose plungers and the attachment point of the strut bar on the hitch head. Now matter how I adjust the plungers the hitch just seems to eat them up. I have found more reasonably priced ones at McMaster Carr. I have also had to weld some extra steel on the hitch head after the strut bars stretched the holes. It is one place HA did not put enough steel.
McMaster-Carr

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Funny, as much as I have read this forum regarding this style of hitch, I never saw any mention of consumable parts till now.

Thanks for this info, information is the key to making informed decisions.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Switz: I bought a new Hensley Arrow a few weeks ago and I did not get a "bag of consumables" from them. I have looked all over my hitch and I don't see any part, other than grease, that I would consider a consumable part.

My understanding is this second hitch Jim Hensley designed was for a different application and was never meant to be a "second generation design".
I can't speak on Switz's behalf but you may want to go ahead and order the goodie bag.

The HA uses a spring-loaded dog point bolt or stud to retain the WD bars in the hitch head. While the bearing sleeves of the head handle most of the forces (point loading as the short end of the WD bar is trying to cock in the bushings), the "point" of the dog-point sees some wear and tear with the bars pivoting. It will wear out the "point" and the down side is that if you are in BFE when it happens, you can't run down to Ace Hardware or AutoZone and find something that will make do to get you home. I would say it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them....but you will need them at some point in time and should be considered an expendable item.

Another scenario is when the dog-point studs are installed and you go a thread too deep (trying to make sure you have maximum dog-point engagement or the stud turns without your knowledge while trying to tighten the jamb nut), the WD bar will damage or smudge the threads on the end of the stud preventing the spring action of the dog point from moving freely. Once it gets sticky, the dog point can get pushed in but won't re-engage the groove in the WD bar as it should. Also, when the stud gets damaged, you have to use a second jamb nut to get the stud back out of the tapped hole of the hitch head. Forcing these damaged threads of the stud back out of the good threads of the hitch head is not good for those threads which will result in sloppy threads at best or galled threads at worst. I think the spring-loaded dog-point was conceptually a good idea that didn't pan out in the long run. All part of designing equipment.

Dog point stuck in the stud due to distorted threads...

This hitch came on a Classic 30 I bought...one dog-point completely stuck in...the second dog-point had limited travel due to distortion.

In a bind, I have removed the grease zerk and knocked the dog-point & spring out with a hammer and punch to dress up the hole, the threads and the dog-point itself to free it up enough to get back home because I didn't have spares on hand. I've had fun before and that wasn't any fun. It was a greasy, dirty job without the right tools and a bad way to end a trip.

I would say the dog-point studs are the most prevalent issue. However, with time, you need to keep an eye on where the "stiff arm" that run from the base of the jack towers to the head pin up. These arms are only supposed to be tightened until firm but as the head swings through the up & down axis, it apparently sees a bind as one of my hitch heads had elongated holes and there isn't much real estate in that area to sacrifice. I also had hole elongation at the base of the jack where it attaches to the WD bars.

The WD bar bushing (bolted into the head) with enough time and towing will also be an expendable item. With the tension involved in the WD bars and the leverage due to their length, grease can only do so much. I'm guessing when I say that Sean must have seen this scenario with the HA and therefore beefed up the bushings for the PP.

Quote:
After much research, I decided to go with a new Hensley Arrow.
Not trying to be offensive here and only want your (and our) towing experiences to be a good ones, but what did that research entail? After reviewing both, I came to the conclusion that neither the PP or HA are perfect...but found the PP closer to that criteria than the HA based on the items I posted above, a few minor ones I didn't bother to post and side by side comparison. Maybe I can't see the forest for all those trees and am missing something? In my earlier Airstream days, the HA was the Cadillac, premier hitch, hands down, compared to all others but fortunately in some ways and un-fortunately in other ways, time marches on.

I've been wrong before and am not afraid or ashamed to admit it.

Z
Old 05-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
Quote:
I can't speak on Switz's behalf but you may want to go ahead and order the goodie bag.

The WD bar bushing (bolted into the head) with enough time and towing will also be an expendable item.

Not trying to be offensive here and only want your (and our) towing experiences to be a good ones, but what did that research entail?
Z
I agree that both hitches are good at what they do. My research came down to several things but the main 3 points were:

1. I really like the fact that you can remove the HA hitch in about 10 minutes requiring no tools. The PP hitch looks like it would take hours to remove and requires tools. This is important if my vehicle broke down on the road and I had to have my trailer towed.

2. I like the telescoping jack system better on the HA. I feel it is more rugged and has less cantilevered forces on it.

3. Over the past several years, I have spoken to many Hensley Arrow users who have towed with the HA hitch for 10 years or more and tens of thousands of towing miles, and they have never replaced a single part. That says a lot to me.

As to the consumable bag, I checked with the factory and they sell that bag of parts for $15. Doesn't sound like a lot to me. It includes clips and safety keys that you could misplace or lose. On the WD bar bushing, doesn't PP also have that bushing? On the spring loaded pin, it again can be removed without tools and is only there to hold the bars up when they are relaxed. When tensioned, the pins serve no function. Both the pins and bushings are covered by the lifetime warranty.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
I agree that both hitches are good at what they do.
You're happy with yours and I'm happy with mine. So, happy days are here again. And honestly, thanks for sharing your views.

Hope to see you on the road....soon. Happy motoring.

Z
Old 05-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
Quote:
You're happy with yours and I'm happy with mine. So, happy days are here again. And honestly, thanks for sharing your views.

Hope to see you on the road....soon. Happy motoring.

Z
Same to you Zackybilly1, thanks.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Pro Pride, all the way

We are ProPride owners and have nothing but good things to say about the product and it's quality. What sets the ProPride apart from the rest is the support we have received over the years from Sean. You just don't get better support from any company, hands down. Even years later, Sean takes care of any question I have, no matter how silly it may seem. He's the best in the business.

wbcci 4174
air 38117
briboy is offline   Reply With Quote