Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2005, 06:41 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Oops, I bet I know. How long did it take the foot to heal?
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:13 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Interesting thread folks. Been lurking for a while. I have an 25' International CCD towed with '05 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab and EH. No towing drama at all going through the Rockies. Average about 75 on the flats. Dreamstream's experience settles the question for me about switching to a HA.
goldwing70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #63
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
I too have an Equal-i-zer and am very happy with it. And besides, my other half won't let me spend that much $$. (Ouch!)

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #64
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Conclusion

Hey DreamStream, hope life is good!

Is there a conclusion and any recomendations to your experiment yet?

Thanx, Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Chipley , Florida
hitch height 79 Ambassdor

Airstream specifications says hitch ball height 19.5 inches. When I measure my 1979 Ambassdor trailer hitch from level ground to top of hitch it reads 15 inches. Carpenter level on floor of travels reads level. Would like to pull level utilizing a Hensley Hitch. Any thoughts?
Chipleyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #66
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Yep. Check your axles first (lot of good info using Search here) and then consider that the tow vehicles of the day might have been much more softly sprung than what we use now.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #67
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Curious Bob

What was the rational for the 1200# bars for a Bambi?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #68
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I am curious too. 1,200# bars on the Equalizer are for trailers up to 12,000# with tongue wt. up to 1,000#. For a 19' Bambi, I would think the 600# bars would be sufficient. Our dealer put on 1,200# bars, but should have used 1,000# ones. That's before I knew anything. Also I recently found one of the adjustment bolts on the head wasn't tight enough causing a space to open up at the washers. I called Equalizer about the bars and was told it was ok if it was otherwise adjusted correctly. I'm not sure that makes any sense.

This thread is 5 years old and I'm wondering how DreamStream's experience has been after all this time.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #69
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I am curious too. 1,200# bars on the Equalizer are for trailers up to 12,000# with tongue wt. up to 1,000#. For a 19' Bambi, I would think the 600# bars would be sufficient. Our dealer put on 1,200# bars, but should have used 1,000# ones. That's before I knew anything. Also I recently found one of the adjustment bolts on the head wasn't tight enough causing a space to open up at the washers. I called Equalizer about the bars and was told it was ok if it was otherwise adjusted correctly. I'm not sure that makes any sense.

This thread is 5 years old and I'm wondering how DreamStream's experience has been after all this time.

Gene

I have a feeling Dreamstream is long gone. His last activity was in February of 2007.

Also, he was comparing using the orange on a 30' Holiday Rambler and then switching to a Bambi with an Equalizer so his experiment would have been meaningless.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #70
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Good point about two different trailers Sean. I missed that.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
What was the rational for the 1200# bars for a Bambi?
According to Post #1, the 1200# bars were for the 30' Holiday Rambler:

Quote:
I e-mailed Lindon hitch for sizing help and they recommended the 1,200 lb. option with the standard shank for our 1 ton Dodge and the 30' Holiday Rambler. They had an on-line order form link or a link to all the Equal-i-zer dealers you could order from. Their on-line order form link was showing $ 590.00 plus 60.00 shipping for a total of $ 650.00.
DreamStream did post some results of "testing" with the 30' HR. He later switched to the Bambi. We need to remember that when a signature is updated, the revised signature also is appended to posts which were made prior to the revision.

Ron
Ron Gratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #72
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Good point about two different trailers Sean. I missed that.

Gene

Here's an interesting bit of psychology for everyone.

I'm only guessing but making an educated guess based on Dreamstream's HR trailer. He may have been one of the HR Recalls that were "fixed" with the orange hitch.

Throughout the years these orange customers tended to not really love the hitch the way others that actually purchased the hitch themselves loved the hitch.

I believe they were so unhappy with the way their HR towed that they wanted them bought back by the company rather than fixed. This didn't set the foundation for a happy customer experience because they were essentially forced into using the orange by the recall. They were already thoroughly pissed off about the entire thing that most never really learned how to use the hitch.

Just my .02 (and about what it's worth) but I find the dichotomy between the two interesting.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote