Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hensley Spring Plunger, Grease fitting spring bar retainer

Quite some time ago we discussed in another thread the high cost ($16 IIRC) for the hensley replacement spring plunger WD bar retainers. It was suggested by another member that we try some alternatives here:

McMaster-Carr

After carefully studying a new Hensley piece against these offerings, it became obvious that there is not an exact replacement. #8945A52 is the closest, but the threads for the grease zerk are different and the plunger is 4mm shorter.
But, at $3.90 vs $16, I was determined to try something, so here we go:

When I replaced my last set of plungers I set them as shallow as I could, while still retaining the WD bars. This way I figured I could get two rounds out of them by coming back and setting them deeper when they would no longer hold the bars in. This pic is this whole summer's trips, proving you can set them shallow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oswego-20120827-00055.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	166924

Now, the plunger in the McMaster-Carr piece is 4mm shorter than the Hensley one, it's base is SLIGHTLY larger in diameter, and it does not have a grease groove in it.

Name:	Oswego-20120827-00048.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	166925

I took the Dremmel, with a sanding wheel installed, set it at a medium RPM and rotated the spinning wheel around the diameter of the base of the plunger, checking it frequently in the Hensley body for proper fitment. I then took a Dremmel cutting wheel and cut a grease groove through the base shoulder and up the length of the plunger:

Name:	Oswego-20120827-00051.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	166926

This is the final result:

Name:	Oswego-20120827-00052.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	166927

I believe, based in my experiment in the first picture that this replacement plunger will work, although, I don't think you can get 2 rounds out of it by setting it deeper. I think you'll have set it almost as deep as allowable without the body contacting the WD bar.

After doing one mod, you could do the rest in about 5 minutes each. Worth it? You be the judge, but I think I'll order up about a dozen of the McMaster-Carr plungers and keep a stash of modified "nipples".

Unless someone knows where I can find longer ones....??????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Quite some time ago we discussed in another thread the high cost ($16 IIRC) for the hensley replacement spring plunger WD bar retainers....
Unless someone knows where I can find longer ones....??????
I made mine. In fact, I built the entire assembly except the grease nipple and spring. The body is 1/2 all thread, bored with a step and threaded on one end. For the plunger, I used a good grade steel bar.

If you can find a buddy with a metal lathe, it only takes a few minutes to pop out several!

I can't find it right now but I actually looked into building complete assemblies to make a buck or two but never dug into it beyond locating all of the components.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I realized I posted the wrong part # of #8945A52. THE CORRECT PART # IS 3126A46.
Maybe a Moderator can fix post #1?????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote