Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It is the simplest. With a helper in another vehicle one can test brake application settings to find brake lock on a variety of surfaces (which is important). The better the brake controller is what goes without saying (DIRECLINK or MAXBRAKE currently the top-of-the-heap).

Dry concrete, dry asphalt (then, wet) and broken surface (rough pavment, then dirt, then gravel) are "the test" of knowing how to set brake controller settings.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

This photo was taken on the day I first installed the Hensley, I still use the HB method in lining up the hitch head.

Perpendicular good, vertical not so much, but DW has noted that fact for years.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Another thing that is easier to set up on the ProPride. Just set the yoke in the center using a tape measure, and you're done.
For those pondering the purchase of an HaHa vs a P3 - this is a statement that I also believe 1000% and I'm moving onto my third trailer with a P3.
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question Easy to set up...

Takes 40min every spring.....

Start to finish....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would add on to the end of this one.

I have no experience with a Hensley, other than watching Hensley's videos and reading 2Airishuman's "Ultimate Hensley User's Guide" thread (for two days and still not finished). Having read and watch, I feel confident that I can hookup and adjust the torsion arms properly.

I'm considering a second hand 34' trailer that has a Hensley as part of the package. It comes with a 2" offset hitch bar. I have been swapping emails with one of the techs at Hensley trying to figure out what I need. He tells me I need a 6" offset hitch bar, instead of the 2". I do not want to purchase a 6" offset hitch bar prior to purchasing the trailer. But, I want to move the trailer immediately if I purchase it. So I have a small dilemma.

I am towing with a 2012 Chevy 2500. The hitch opening that measures 20" to the top while the truck is empty, loaded about 19". The top of the ball receiver on my 25' trailer measures about 18 3/4" empty and varies lower depending on load. I assume a 34' Airstream will vary similarly. I do not know if I should tow temporarily with the 2" offset hitch bar. Assuming the information I have is correct, the front of the trailer will be 3" to 4" high if I use the bar that comes with the trailer. If I purchase this 34'er I have to drive it 150 miles to get it home.

So, my questions are:
  1. Will I be able to tow it home SAFELY with the 2" offset hitch bar? If I do, will the rear trailer axel be overloaded enough to blow out the tires?
  2. Hensley users that are towing with a Chevy or GMC 2500 pickup, what offset/drop hitch bar are you using?
  3. When looking at a used Hensley, checking it for condition, what are the items I should be most concerned about.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would add on to the end of this one.

I have no experience with a Hensley, other than watching Hensley's videos and reading 2Airishuman's "Ultimate Hensley User's Guide" thread (for two days and still not finished). Having read and watch, I feel confident that I can hookup and adjust the torsion arms properly.

I'm considering a second hand 34' trailer that has a Hensley as part of the package. It comes with a 2" offset hitch bar. I have been swapping emails with one of the techs at Hensley trying to figure out what I need. He tells me I need a 6" offset hitch bar, instead of the 2". I do not want to purchase a 6" offset hitch bar prior to purchasing the trailer. But, I want to move the trailer immediately if I purchase it. So I have a small dilemma.

I am towing with a 2012 Chevy 2500. The hitch opening that measures 20" to the top while the truck is empty, loaded about 19". The top of the ball receiver on my 25' trailer measures about 18 3/4" empty and varies lower depending on load. I assume a 34' Airstream will vary similarly. I do not know if I should tow temporarily with the 2" offset hitch bar. Assuming the information I have is correct, the front of the trailer will be 3" to 4" high if I use the bar that comes with the trailer. If I purchase this 34'er I have to drive it 150 miles to get it home.

So, my questions are:
  1. Will I be able to tow it home SAFELY with the 2" offset hitch bar? If I do, will the rear trailer axel be overloaded enough to blow out the tires?
  2. Hensley users that are towing with a Chevy or GMC 2500 pickup, what offset/drop hitch bar are you using?
  3. When looking at a used Hensley, checking it for condition, what are the items I should be most concerned about.

What size wheels and tires on the 1012 Chevy. I have had my Hensley for over 10 years on my 1976 31' Sovereign and have changed trucks 3 times. My 2004 Chevy Suburban had smaller 15" or 16" wheels. and an after market receiver that bolted to the frame. I was able to use a 2" drop bar. My 2008 Chevy Suburban had the larger wheels, I think 20" and the receiver was built in to the Chevy frame and bumper. The 2" drop bar was not enough drop so I went with the 6" drop bar. and it worked perfectly. My 2012 Chevy Suburban has the same same wheels and receiver setup as the 2008, and I still use the 6" drop.

Here is a picture of the 2" drop bar in the 2008 Chevy Suburban backed of the the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2_drop-bar.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	189205

Here a picture of the 2008 Suburban with the 6" drop bar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6_drop-bar.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	189206

I know Hensley will exchange drop bars at no cost just pay shipping cost. But I think this is limited to the original owner. If the person you are buying from is the original owner maybe they would do a swap for him and you pay the postage. Just a thought.

Also if you don't have the Hensley manual you can down load it from their web site. Get a grease guns and grease the 2 fittings, check the chains and brackets and follow the instructions in the manual to make sure its set up properly. You should be good.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
the tires are LT 265 70r 17
I would be the third owner, so no swap. The second owner never registered the hitch in his name.
what is the measurement from top off your hitch to the ground
Old 06-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I also use a 6" drop. Our 06 2500 LT Burb sits about 3" higher than the new ones, but has an under bumper receiver.

Our 95 Burb used a 4" drop.
AS towed fine fine behind the 06 even though it was a bit high, traded for a 6" to get the trailer level to load the tires evenly.

I would use the 2" and measure to make sure, your P/U will most likely need a 4" drop. Should be fine for a shakedown cruise.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:

So, my questions are:

I can only answer question 2 with certainty!

I tow a classic 30 (actually 31') with a 2500HD diesel and after taking measurements, I bought a 6" drop bar - I previously had a 2" and had used it, but the trailer was riding noticeably high at the front. It performed fine but just didn't look right!

2" was what Hensley told me they thought I would need when i ordered the hitch.

I exchanged it for the 6" drop and paid only the shipping under the exchange program.

With the 6" drop, the trailer now rides close as dammit to level!

Brian

PS - I think you could buy an adjustable height hitch from ProPride that will work with your Hensley, but Hensley are very much against using adjustable hitches and do not offer one themselves. People do use them though and I have not heard of any problems.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I think you could buy an adjustable height hitch from ProPride that will work with your Hensley, but Hensley are very much against using adjustable hitches and do not offer one themselves. People do use them though and I have not heard of any problems.
Thanks!
I'll look into the PP adjustable bar
Old 06-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks!
I'll look into the PP adjustable bar
I bought one of the PP (for HAHA) adjustable stingers this spring and am very happy with it.....now what to do with the 3 HAHA stingers I have procured over time. (I tow with many different TVs)

The biggest advantage with the adjustable stinger (besides one size fits all) is the ability to tilt the stinger to take up the extra slop with a 2.5" receiver with the 2" adapter installed.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
I found the adjustable PP/HA hitch bar at PP's website. That's seems like the best solution, if I do get the HA.

So what is the consensus? Should I drive the 150 miles home with the 2" drop/offset?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
I found the adjustable PP/HA hitch bar at PP's website. That's seems like the best solution, if I do get the HA.

So what is the consensus? Should I drive the 150 miles home with the 2" drop/offset?
Yep..

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
We had the same issue when we bought our '34 limited. (it came with a 3rd owner Hensley) My '99 GMC 2500 sat with a 21" hitch height and Tech @ Hensley insisted I buy a 6" stinger or face dire consequences.... (it came with a 4" drop bar)
I tell you what..... There is almost 900 lbs of tongue weight there and believe me a few inches of added height might be appreciated. My 4" drop bar is just about perfect and honestly a 2" bar would'nt hurt my feelings. :-)
Go ahead and hook up & tow her home, 150 miles should be no problem and it should give you a good feel for whether or not your comfortable with the current set-up. Enjoy!