Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Question Hensley Question

Could anyone out there give me the relationship between hitchbar vertical length and the height of your receiver off the ground for a Hensley Arrow?
We recently changed tow vehicles and the receiver height is slightly different. (Odd technical questions always come up on a saturday nite!)
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
The measurement is from the top of the trailer coupling to the ground and the top of the receiver to the ground. The tow bar height is based on that measurement. Any questions - call them. They are always happy to answer questions.

We have a problem with height mismatch in that we replaced our axles and the trailer is now higher off the ground. The Hensley now points towards the ground when we pull up the WD bars.

Here is a link to the manual if you need.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Hensley Bar mismatch

I just bought a Hensley hitch (used) and got a 6 inch drop bar. I haven't installed it yet, but measured my old setup and it looks like the best bar for me would be a 4 inch drop bar but I am trying to decide if I need to make that change or if the 2 inch difference will be OK when the Hensley is adjusted. I have a Dodge Ram 2500 Ram 2 wheel drive PU for my tow vehicle and I will be pulling a 1986 34 foot Limited that weighs loaded about 10,000 lbs.

Ideas anyone. Am I OK with that difference?

Lee

Full Time.....keeping the shiny side up

Lee Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
hitch

My drop bar was not sized correctly when I ordered from Hensely and I could not transfer enough weight onto the front axle. Roger Williams Airstream puts Hensley's on all of their trailers now and are also a dealer for the hitch. While having work done on my trailer last month they swapped out the drop bar for me and now I'm set up better. You can ask for David Tidmore and he can help you out.

http://rogerwilliams.airstream.com/

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Thumbs up Hensley tests

Well, yesterday I hitched up the trailer ('96 28' Excella) to the tow vehicle (05 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab with Cummins) and with the 6" hitch bar, the trailer was level when the WD bars were tightened. The receiver height was about 2" higher than before with no load, but with everything hooked up, it looked pretty good. I called Tech Support at Hensley this morning and they said that having the trailer level was all you are looking for. I read level both on the external level and on a cabinet inside the trailer. The distance from the bottom of the hitch to the ground was about 10.5" Putting an 8" hitchbar on would drop that pretty low to the ground.

I think I have a pretty good setup as-is. The hookup to the Hensley took a few tries until I saw the three slots and locked it into the middle one. Live and learn. The only thing remaining is to adjust the new Prodigy brake controller on the road.

Thanks for the responses.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote