Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2002, 05:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Hensley advantage

We are towing a Safari 27A with a 113" wheelbase AWD Olds Bravada with the new 275hp/275 ftlb 4.2 inline 6. The Hensley makes this combination work. We only add about 500 lbs of stuff in the trailer, so we are at the weight limit for the Bravada, but we do not lack for power with this big smooth six. This is the easiest towing and most pleasurable rig I have ever driven. Without the Hensley a short wheelbase SUV like this would not be fun on a downhill twister with big rigs in the passing lane. It is nice to reach your destination, drop your rig and drive away in comfortable vehicle that readjusts its ride for just two people.
Bud Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Hey-yay, how's this for an old thread resurrected. Been reading over on rv.net and this thread was one I thought folks might find useful, a man who has owned both an HA and now a Pullrite. Enjoy!

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Towing Report - Hensley VS Pullrite
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
OMG this is an old thread. When I originally wrote it, my son was 14, now he is 22 and married. I still have the Airstream and the same tow vehicle. Only difference is, my hair is whiter and a little less of it, my truck has 180,000 miles on it and feeling it, the AS is in the barn and getting ready to go to Cape Cod today. Still have the hensley, but the orange is dimmer like my vision. I must have 50,000 miles on the airstream, made some upgrades, carpet is gone and we now have bamboo flooring. Both the dinette and sofa have been reapolstered. We used microfiber on the sofa. Looks great and wears better. All in all the AS has been a good investment with a lot of use.

Mark
Old 07-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #24
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall View Post
When I originally wrote it, my son was 14, now he is 22 and married.
Time sure does fly. With all of the recent deaths, and my first child graduating from high school, I'm starting to realize just how quickly the world will pass us all by.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I have towed our 25' Safari's with the Reese and now with a Hensley. Although I never experienced any problem with the Reese there were times when a semi (usually a flat bed trailer) i could feel the air pressure moving forward as the truck passed. I knew t expect it and was prepared. When we purchased our newest Safari it alrady had the installed on it. I really didn't want it and had already purchased a set of Reese sadles to install so I could use my Reese system.

Anyway, I ended up taking the Hensley and I have not regretted that decission. Although it can be a Royal Pain in the butt to hitch and unhitch I have not felt any sway in any way shape or form when passed by large trucks. My wife has started driving more often and is very comfortable behind the wheel while towing.

It has taken us a spell to the hitch and unhitch routin. As other Hensley owners know, it has to be lined up perfectly when hooking and unhooking. Several times I swere that it took us over 30 minutes to get hitched up.

I am very satisfied with my Hensley. It does cost a lot of money and I probably would not have purchased one if it had not been included in the deal. Now, I do feel more comfortable towing with the Hensley.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #26
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
Anyway, I ended up taking the Hensley and I have not regretted that decission. Although it can be a Royal Pain in the butt to hitch and unhitch

It has taken us a spell to the hitch and unhitch routin. As other Hensley owners know, it has to be lined up perfectly when hooking and unhooking. Several times I swere that it took us over 30 minutes to get hitched up.

We, ProPride, have completely redesigned the hitch box and bar due to this very problem. We get VERY FEW hitching and unhitching problems with the 3P.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
ProPride

We love the ProPride. We haven't had a problem with hooking up and unhooking at all. As a matter of fact we have found it easier. Larry says he thinks it is pretty slick!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #28

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Okay, so Hensley is the hitch to go with for a 34' Airstream? What is the opinion of hitch company called "ProPride"? Does ANYONE have any real world experience using one?
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
ProPride

Larry has driven both the Hensley and the ProPride. Both are great but ProPride had a better set up with our extended E350 Ford 15 passenger. The price was better (and no orange paint). Sean will have to tell you the technical differences. Give him a call. When we ordered ours it was a pleasure to work with them.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote