Old 09-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #29
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I'll try to help, and these are the things that I know. I will also tell you it is a bad idea to use a hitch extension. With a hitch extension, you move the ball farther away from the rear axle of the tow vehicle which increases the trailer's leverage on the TV, and ablity to induce sway.

Also, I will tell you the more taper the bars have, the smoother the ride. That said, the Reese will ride smoother than the Equalizer, and any hitch with round bars will ride smoother than the Reese trunion bars. This is all assuming you choose the correct weight range bars.

I will not, however, tell you what hitch to buy, but considering your tow vehicle (F350 Dually), getting a smooth ride will be your biggest obsticle to overcome.

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #30
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Originally Posted by GREENovaters View Post
Hmmm. I hear a lot of back and forth but no real solid answer to my simple question:
Should I purchase a Hensley, ProPride or AirRide to connect my 2005 F350 Dually to my 34' Airstream? Should I use tapered weight distribution bars rather than square ones as mentioned by w7ts? I have watched as people have also remarked that using an extension is absolutely unsafe....
Waiting for some feedback!
There's a boat-load of good info, and healthy debate on this question.

Here's my take: Hensley (or PP, I haven't compared the $$ or the nifty adjustable stinger). 1400 rated model, but fitted with 750lb spring bars. Your dually is designed for drive axle loading, so weight transfer is negligible.

AirRide not necessary.

boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Annie put a post on earlier. We have had the Air Safe hitch for about a year now and love it. If Howie thinks there aren't any roads that shake your rig enough of a air ride you need to take a trip to Michigan or the last time I was down I-95 in NY that was pretty rough too. Another thing that people say is that it makes the ball to far back. It makes it 8 in. longer and if that is going to make a difference whether you go into an uncontrollable sway I think I will quit towing now. I use the Reese HP Dual Cam with the square 600 lb bars with the hitch. After I got everything set up I took it out and tried to make it go into a sway at 40 and 50 mph and it would just come back into a straight line. Haven't looked back since.

Marvin & Annie
Niki (fur baby)
1979 Argosy 30 (Costalotta)
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I also have an AirSafe and am very happy with it. I don't know about hitch extensions but the AirSafe moves the ball back more than a foot, also moving the trailer axles back another foot or so from the TV. From my experience the farther back the trailer axles are from the Tow vehicle the less problem you will have with sway, fishtailing and tracking. I have had no sway problems with the AirSafe and it makes towing a lot easier.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
I have been on the Propride for a year with Zero problems or sway. A person can go a long time without sway issues...even years....then the right conditions or merger of situations ......and your done. Just because you have never had a problem does not mean you never will.
My Opinion:
Odds are you will do better with a Proprise or Hensley if the perfect storm occurs. You spent lots of bucks for the trailer and TV....spend for the hitch setup as well. I am as cheap as they come...but NOT with my equipment...I will pay up for the best odds of avoiding death.

TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member
2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
I have towed for years with the Reese and I switched to Hensley a couple of years ago because of the raving reviews from friends. I really didn't think it would be so significant a difference. I was wrong! I tow a 34' trailer that does not push the rear of my TV around curves and I do not notice the push or pull that I always felt when passing a big rig. I would never go back. As far as Pro Pride, a Hensley friend of mine just bought one and is very happy. But he was also very happy with his Hensley. He just sold the Hensley to one of our Reese hold outs who continue to swear that his hitch did everything we claimed the Hensley would do. He is in for a pleasant surprise.
2000 34' Limited with Sofa Slide
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Turbodiesel 4X4 Quad Cab Hensley Hitch Pressure Pro Centramatics
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member
I bought a Class V AirSafe hitch four years ago to stop the rivet-popping hammering that my F250 was dealing to my 27-foot International. Some of the Interstates I traveled over, such as I40 at Oklahoma City, really put the hurt to my Airstream before I installed the AirSafe hitch.

The AirSafe hitch has added a great amount of protection to the trailer with its cushion of air provided by its Firestone air bags. It also has made it more comfortable in the F250 as well.

Regarding the question of sway control, I have never experienced any sway problems whatsoever. I do use two of the classic friction sway control bars, and there has never been a need for anything more during my coast-to-coast travels in all variations of weather.

For me, the AirSafe hitch was the answer I had been looking for.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Common Sense , Texas

Well I "bit the bullet" today and bought a new Propride hitch. Maybe I'll have something constructive to contribute to this thread after it gets here.

Anyone want a lightly used Reese Dual Cam hitch at a good price?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #37

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
I am preparing to buy a hitch and want some final advice.... have you at this point gotten an air dampener system partnered with your ProPride?
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Common Sense , Texas
Originally Posted by GREENovaters View Post
I am preparing to buy a hitch and want some final advice.... have you at this point gotten an air dampener system partnered with your ProPride?
No, I tow with a 1/2 ton truck and really don't see the need for an air dampener. Maybe if I had a much bigger truck..........
Old 10-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #39
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake
Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
34' Airstream Best Hitch

I own a 1998 34' Airstream Excella 1000 and I am sold on the ProPride and Hensley hitches. I bought this trailer in Tucson, AZ and towed it to Houston, TX with a standard weight distribution hitch using a Freightliner FL60 as a tow vehicle. (I used to have a 37' fifth wheel). During the trip I encountered severe cross winds which nearly took my rig off of the interstate! Yes, the Airstream towed better than my fifth wheel under these circumstances, but I have also towed a friend's 34' Airstream which he tows with a Hensley Arrow using a Chevy HD 2500 and he has not had such experiences. So, the size of the tow vehicle is NOT related to sway. My 9000 pound Freightliner was no match for the crosswinds. Get the PP or HA if you like your knuckles any other color than white.
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
Secguru, can I take you to the RV shows with me? We've been saying for years that a big truck may keep you from feeling the sway, but it's there. Just ask the guy behind you. Personally, I prefer the conviencence of my short wheelbase Avalanche. a) it's easier to park the trailer and b) it fits in my garage. But even with a larger truck, the hitch is the most critical component.

Ron Estrada
Hensley Mfg., Inc.
Hensley Ron is offline   Reply With Quote