Old 09-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1998 34' Excella 1000
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob
Has anyone used a backup camera to make the hitching part a little easier, regardless of hitch manufacturer?
Yes to the question about using a backup camera to making hitching easier. I have a propride hitch and a 2011 Chevy with a backup camera, I also put white reflective tape on the top of my stinger, and put red reflective tape around the opening on the receiver on the hitch. The backup lights on the truck really makes the tape stand out and when i backup alignment is spot on every time with the only issue of getting the trailer height to the correct height so the stinger will slide in. I can be hitched up and rolling in about 3 minutes.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #58
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Then it should also be derated for the leveraged yaw forces that are applied to the receiver when the effective pivot point is behind the receiver.
Do you believe that the yaw forces typically exceed the dynamic load from bumps? If so, why?

Are hitch receivers designed without these forces in mind?

About what share of the many receivers that show signs of weld failure, bending, or fatigue later in their life show failures that are characteristic of yaw forces?

Do you believe that this derating should also apply to 4-bar hitch designs (Hensley, ProPride) to cover yaw angles large enough that the virtual pivot point moves rear of the typical ball location on other types of hitches? Why or why not?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #59
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Do you believe that the yaw forces typically exceed the dynamic load from bumps? If so, why?

Are hitch receivers designed without these forces in mind?

About what share of the many receivers that show signs of weld failure, bending, or fatigue later in their life show failures that are characteristic of yaw forces?

Do you believe that this derating should also apply to 4-bar hitch designs (Hensley, ProPride) to cover yaw angles large enough that the virtual pivot point moves rear of the typical ball location on other types of hitches? Why or why not?

Yes, the total weight of the trailer applied at a distance behind the receiver is greater than the tongue weight in a vertical direction. A trailer can turn an entire tow vehicle (a.k.a. - jackknife).

Not sure about the total failures. I haven't see a lot of total failures of receivers. I've seen receivers, and hitches for that matter, that are 25 years old that are still in use.

I don't think there are any yaw forces when a virtual pivot point is rearward of the typical ball location. The trailer would have to be at quite an angle in relation to the tow vehicle (I haven't calculated it) for that to happen. For it to be at that angle the speed of the combination would have to be extremely low and the trailer would settle.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #60
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Looks like we're trying to change the weight of the elephant by getting him to stand on one foot again.
When Airstream specs 1000# tongue weight, that is the weight on the ball. NOT the ball itself, or anything from the ball forward.
When Reese (just to pick a random name) specs 1000# tongue weight for the receiver, everything is counted, tounge weight, hitch head, ball, sway bars, even the safety chains. Airstream doesn't care about how much is ahead of the ball, the receiver and tow vehicle manufacturers do.
So, if the weight on the ball is less than spec'ed by Airstream, you are good. If the weight of everything is less than spec'ed by the tow vehicle and receiver manufacturer, you are also good. If either spec is exceeded, chamges will have to be made to whatever part is over, receiver or tonge weight.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlying View Post
Yes to the question about using a backup camera to making hitching easier. I have a propride hitch and a 2011 Chevy with a backup camera, I also put white reflective tape on the top of my stinger, and put red reflective tape around the opening on the receiver on the hitch. The backup lights on the truck really makes the tape stand out and when i backup alignment is spot on every time with the only issue of getting the trailer height to the correct height so the stinger will slide in. I can be hitched up and rolling in about 3 minutes.
Great idea, thanks for the input!
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #62
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink Who cares.....?

....mine is better than any other hitch on the market.

Why?....because it's mine, and so's the 1200lb tongue weight, how easy it is to hitch and un-hitch, the outlandish cost, and the poor finish that's never rusted....you just have to be a little smarter than the average stinger....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have a challenge unhitching from my Hensley because the TV has air suspension. I raise the jack fairly high and there is still upwards pressure from the sir suspension. I pull away and the car rises until I drive a short distance then is settles back down to normal elevation.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #64
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

BTW.....tongue weight only matters when un-hitched.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #65
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I have a challenge unhitching from my Hensley because the TV has air suspension. I raise the jack fairly high and there is still upwards pressure from the sir suspension. I pull away and the car rises until I drive a short distance then is settles back down to normal elevation.
Use the latch bar to pry "pop" the stinger from the hitch receiver and drive away.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote