Old 08-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Shouldn't the WD bars be more parallel with the trailer's tongue?
In most of the pictures, the bars look like they're either mis-adjusted, or of the wrong weight rating.
I agree!! especially with Mark's---------pieman

Old 08-16-2006, 11:33 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
I appreciate the feedback, pieman and uwe. Hitch maintenance just moved to the top of my to-do list. At the time I took these pics the cam on the Hensley was tweaked to one side, so that may account for some of the appearance of being out of whack, but I agree, when I'm hooked up my spring bars are not parallel to the frame. I originally set the hitch up using Hensley's recommendations for initial jack adjustment. I just checked the manual and the only thing it says about parallel is that the jacks need to be adjusted so that they can hold the hitch head at parallel.

You know, it's kinda funny - I dote over our Airstream like it's a child - I'm always doing some kind of maintenance, or trying to better our rig in some way. For some reason, my eyes just didn't see that these bars may not be set up correctly. Thanks for caring enough to point that out.

-Mark

Old 08-16-2006, 12:35 PM   #17
_

. , .
hi mookie/mark....

have you got any closer pictures?

i noticed the bars but my 'zoom in' feature just distorts the image.

post a couple of close ups and maybe a shot with the camera at hitch/tongue level....

we can sort this out with ya....and all learn something in the process...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #18
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Parallel??

The bars on mine do seem to do the job and they are quite tight when I crank them up. I will be watching this part of the discussion to see what happens. has anybody called Hensley to ask?? They are quite amenable on the phone to answering questions.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
Pic

Hey 2air,

The Airstream is parked in storage right now, so it will be a few days until I can take some pics. I took this pic last month on our way up to Oregon to be recoated. This is the only one I could find right now that shows the position of the WD bars:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hensley2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	24802

-Mark
Old 08-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
haven't changed my opinion----------pieman
Old 08-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #21
_

. , .
hi mookie

i agree with pieman, the bar orientation doesn't look right.

having just removed and completely redone my haha....i can think of several possible issues but that's why i'll wait for better pictures....i still can't make out the fine details....from that shot, and i don't want to just guess.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
In reply to pieman's and uwe's concern about tensioned Hensley spring bars not being parallel with the trailer tongue, I do not share their view.

Unhitched, our Hensley's bars are parallel to the trailer tongue when they hold the hitch and stinger level. After hooking up, it is most unlikely that the bars and trailer tongue can remain parallel when the bars are properly tensioned and the hitch and stinger are level or pointing slightly downward.

I have checked in my Henley manual and it says nothing about having the tensioned bars and trailer tongue parallel. As an aside, a new tow vehicle with a slightly larger receiver hole has resulted in our Hensly's stinger pointing a little more down than before.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:11 PM   #23
Oxblood

2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
We've used a Hensley for 3 years and it is the best investment we've ever made!! Mine looks crazy - forget how it looks. Does the ride feel right. You can feel how the weight distribution on the rear bumper is. Just like the manual says . I would like to go to a rally and have Hensley check it out. But overall I'm happy. I am concerned with the fact that tires are crap!! Yes including Goodyear Marathon's. I think I drive too fast 70-75 mph plus it is so hot in Texas. I'm going to slow down to 65.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxblood
I am concerned with the fact that tires are crap!! Yes including Goodyear Marathon's. I think I drive too fast 70-75 mph plus it is so hot in Texas. I'm going to slow down to 65.
Most trailer tires, including GoodYear Marathons, have a speed rating of 65 MPH.