Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I love my PP. Seriously. It is the poop.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:54 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Burbank , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYJIM2 View Post
Jim Hensley designed hitches VIRTUALLY project the pivot point forward by a linkage in the main head of the hitch. The genius in Jim's design comes from the fact that forces on the trailer attempt to pivot the trailer around a point that is forward of the actual hitch ball while forces applied by the tow vehicle allow the trailer to pivot at the hitch and turn corners. This FORWARD pivot point is the key to not allowing sway to begin when a force is applied by on the trailer.

Now, for the differences in the two Jim Hensley designs. As you might guess, in over ten years of manufacturing and selling the Arrow (the Hensley Mfg design) we had common problems that needed to be addressed in a new design.
Hensley's design is not only a bunch of hardare but also much less effective then a strut bar. On top of that you have to reduce your trailer load because longer connection reduces effective tongue load and the less load you have the more prone you are to sway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYJIM2 View Post
The Arrow uses a strut bar design to transfer sway forces through the main head and project the pivot point. These forces can become so great that the strut actually pushes the frame bracket toward the trailer. Once this frame bracket moves the strus become useless in projecting the pivot point. This wasn't acceptable to Jim Henlsey and he addressed it in his new design.
That is again questionable argument. The benefit of a longer pivot point is minimal because the extension is too short to make asubstantial difference. You would have to extent the hitch at least 4 feet feet to actually feel any advantage. And again the longer the hitch the less load it can accept without reinforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Man, my basic Reese set up works just fine for me... Though I haven't towed with a pro-pride or other set up.... So I can't say how they tow>>

Seems like a lot of overkill for my rig.... and a lot more time to hook it up... Guess if I had a 34' I would look at it... my AS only weighs 4300 dry...
It is a total overkill. Costly and pain to install and the benefits are questionable.

Check out this link there is a bunch of pictures of different solutions. Trailer Hitch Guide

One that got my attention is the one from Bloue Ox in the middle of the page but I have never tried it so can't say anything about it effects.
Jimbo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:25 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
If I had know how awful the paint or powder coating was on the Hensley, that alone would have kept me from buying it. It's that bad.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #44
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo17 View Post
Hensley's design is not only a bunch of hardare but also much less effective then a strut bar. On top of that you have to reduce your trailer load because longer connection reduces effective tongue load and the less load you have the more prone you are to sway.
What longer connection? The above is incoherent and may be flat out wrong if I knew what you were attempting to say.

Quote:
That is again questionable argument. The benefit of a longer pivot point is minimal because the extension is too short to make asubstantial difference. You would have to extent the hitch at least 4 feet feet to actually feel any advantage. And again the longer the hitch the less load it can accept without reinforcement.
Again... what?

Quote:
It is a total overkill. Costly and pain to install and the benefits are questionable.

Check out this link there is a bunch of pictures of different solutions. Trailer Hitch Guide

One that got my attention is the one from Bloue Ox in the middle of the page but I have never tried it so can't say anything about it effects.

You've obviously never tried an Arrow or ProPride either but that didn't stop you from attempting to say something.

As for the overkill argument, your Airstream and tow vehicle are overkill for camping. Get an Amish buggy with a horse, throw a tent in the back of it, and take off camping. The "overkill" crowd likes to speak out of one logic about hitches while "overkilling" at least two other components with another logic. It gets comical sometimes. I've been accused of being a little weird at times but I do try to live, and act, congruently within a set of beliefs.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

Boy, you sure like to make friends, when you join a new forum.

I am curious to know what background and experience caused you to come to these close to totally incorrect conclusions. A couple of your assertions appear to me to be based on a nearly complete lack of understanding of of how Hensley and ProPride hitches work.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochar3 View Post
Hello:
Need some input on the new Propride hitch. Who has purchased and do you have any pictures of installed product? Recently totaled my Airstream along with Hensley and I want to replace it and have some interest in Propride. Any feedback would be appreciated.
As usual Thanks for your help
Bob

"I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know
this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their
great respect, they don't even invite me."
Hi Bob,

I can't give you a comparison of the two, however I bought the ProPride for my 31 Classic, and It has functioned exceeding well.

Here are some threads to check.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-3p-51958.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-45987.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html

hope that helps,

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #47
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Mod hat on ....

We don't have issues with peeps having different points of view. Judgements of people, attacks on people and generally not posting nice will be met with corrective action.

Please reel it in or the first thing that will happen is this thread will be closed.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #48
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
I have the Propride hitch and it works better than a "strut bar" hitch (by which I presume you mean the various friction and cam designs that are out there - Equalizer, Reese, etc). I think it's an excellent product for those trailer and tow vehicle combinations where sway is a factor.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Burbank , California
My understanding is that, both, Hensley and ProPride are designed by the same guy and use similar principles. I personally had not too great experience with propride 3p 1400 and some other people posted their experiences on youtube with Hensley
Old 05-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #50
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Hitch

It looks to me that the trailer brakes are not set strong enough in the video and the vehicle is handling the whole thing.(Carrying the weight of the Airstream.)

I could be wrong though but that is how I have mine set up.Trailer brakes stronger than vehicle brakes.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #51
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Jimbo what was your bad experience with the PPPPP?

There have been widespread reports of side-to-side movement during heavy breaking ("hensley bump") when the trailer brakes are not working properly or are being applied late by the controller (or, with disc brakes, due to delays in bringing the pressure up in the hydraulic system due to poor bleeding or a badly designed actuator). There are a number of threads on that topic.

I have the MaxBrake. I have the PPPPP. The whole thing works great. It's easy to hitch, easy to unhitch, easy to back, turns the way I expect, and there's no sway. I don't believe that the HAHA produces much different results (except it's maybe a little harder to hitch up), but the price, paint, and approach to warranty service set the two apart..
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #52
_

. , .
here's the SHORT VERSION (my view ne way) ...

-jimbo purchased/tried a haha towing a 32 ft trailer (hopefully NOT with that toyota in the profile)

-using a PENDULUM brake controller not properly adjusted he felt the PUSH/BUMP...

-had his mate drive and SAW the action at the hitch head (side2side) with FORWARD movement of the trailer tongue...

-had a DEbate with the haha people, who suggested ADJUSTING the brake controller.

-made the videos (with the brake controller INTENTIONALLY not properly adjusted) and sent them to hensley.

((and it appears the rig is TURNING while the brakes are applied TO the tow vehicle))

-shipped the hitch back and got his money back.

then posted ALL of this on his rv (buymywaterfilter) blog....

so this is a GREAT VIDEO showing EXACTLY what happens withOUT an adequate brake controller...

OR without adequate trailer brakes.

as posted elsewhere this is AN EARLY WARNING SYSTEM that no other hitch design provides...

it's a SIGNAL to fix the brakes or the controller!

towing on the ball he would have NO CLUE to the inadequacy of the trailer braking equipment.

until being PUSHED into an intersection or OVER the edge of a cliff...(braking in the turns=very BAD idea)

so in other words ANY bump/push/clank/rattle when stopping is a BONUS feature from these contraptions...

READ posts #9, 11 and 29 here for exactly HOW the push lead to finding a brake issue...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ump-58101.html

lives saved maybe? ((i c a commercial here...)

there ARE occasionally folks who simply don't like or cannot figure out how to use GREAT gadgets...

here's a couple of related threads and a NEW hitch suggestion for jimbo from another member who had issues with the haha...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...per-23541.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ddy-18970.html

and a recent thread with links...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tch-60412.html

the haha is not the first product that had those USER issues...

how many here NEVER figured out how to the set the clock in a vcr?

somebody got a MEtube video of clock setting gone awry?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post

".... but I do try to live, and act, congruently within a set of beliefs.
THAT, with a quality product and a sound reputation is what makes me willing to reach into my wallet and pull out the bucks.

When "yes dear" gives me her blessing, and she will, I will likely be buying one of your ProPride hitches. For now, my Equalizer will have to do (I'm still in the OMG I spent a gob of money mode.. LOL), but in our 38 years, she has come to know that I am in a perpetual "upgrade mode". Heck, when I met her I was upgrading and going overkill at the same time... it worked out well. LOL

Sean, thank you for taking my "after business hours" call the other day and allowing this rookie to go on, and on, and on with my very basic questions.....
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
What Jimbo failed to show, was what happened after using the Hensley...

Watch Blowing Up The Trailer Video | Break.com
Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
What Jimbo failed to show, was what happened after using the Hensley...

Watch Blowing Up The Trailer Video | Break.com
Another, "hold my beer and watch this" moment.
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #56
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
I personally had not too great experience with propride 3p 1400
Why haven't I heard about this, Jimbo?

What was/is your issue?

It's very simple. If you don't have a great experience with me, or the product, you GET EVERY PENNY YOU PAID BACK.

On the other hand, if you are not being completely truthful, I am starting to wonder who exactly you are.

(P.S.- I've been reading and responding to internet posts about these hitches, in various places, for almost 14 years. I'm pretty good at sniffing out comments that don't really hold water and are grinding a proverbial axe for reasons unknown to me.)

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 05-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #57
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator113244 View Post
THAT, with a quality product and a sound reputation is what makes me willing to reach into my wallet and pull out the bucks.

When "yes dear" gives me her blessing, and she will, I will likely be buying one of your ProPride hitches. For now, my Equalizer will have to do (I'm still in the OMG I spent a gob of money mode.. LOL), but in our 38 years, she has come to know that I am in a perpetual "upgrade mode". Heck, when I met her I was upgrading and going overkill at the same time... it worked out well. LOL

Sean, thank you for taking my "after business hours" call the other day and allowing this rookie to go on, and on, and on with my very basic questions.....

Thank you. And, no problem on answering the call.

I just read the upgrading and overkill sentence to my wife and she says you and I are a lot alike.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
While I can't yet speak of experience with the ProPride 3P, my order went in as of last week. Shortly I will have a lightly used Reese with 1000# bars for sale.....

The amount of sway induced by pass trucks here in the ATL area was enough to make me switch. With a 34' trailer it just isn't practical to have a tow vehicle that out weighs it. Given enough time I believe that the sequence of events required to induce a very uncomfortable experience would have come together.

I look at it as very sound prevention and possible preservation of my investment in TV, Trailer, and life.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Well, I LOVE my PP. I forget I'm towing the Airstream half the time. I've passed many a sign saying "RVs and trailers beware, severe crosswinds" on the numerous mountain passes I've towed through and just laugh. Smooth sailing here.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:03 AM   #60
1 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Burbank , California
Quote:
...You've obviously never tried an Arrow or ProPride either but that didn't stop you from attempting to say something.
Quote:
...Get an Amish buggy with a horse, throw a tent in the back of it, and take off camping. The "overkill" crowd likes to speak out of one logic...
Quote:
...On the other hand, if you are not being completely truthful, I am starting to wonder who exactly you are.
(P.S.- I've been reading and responding to internet posts about these hitches, in various places, for almost 14 years. I'm pretty good at sniffing out comments...
Sean, please read your posts ask yourself what a potential reader may think about your company. I've simply voiced a different point of view you have attacked me personally from every angle. This is not right.

As far as problems with PproPride and Hensley that I can see, it is the design itself. And BTW, adjusting the brakes can help but only if you have a trailer that has adjustable controller. On many trailers this is not easy or not even possible. If someone has one of those trailers then the whole rig is out of control when brakes are even lightly applied. And this is exactly my experience.

If you are on a wet or icy road and you get a violent break "bump" you can move several feet forward or completely lose control of the rig.

Also the center of gravity is moved even farther back behind the truck because of the aded length of the hitch and stinger connecting it to the truck, and moving the center of gravity further back makes some rigs, like mine, even less stable than a regular hitch.

As far as refund is concerned after spending countless hours and grief with instaling, ordering, tweaking, calling and trying make it to work it is not just the money that is gone. One's life can't be refunded back.

And then on top of that, the personal attacks when describing my experience. This is just not right.