Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Smile Hensley or Propride

Hello:
Need some input on the new Propride hitch. Who has purchased and do you have any pictures of installed product? Recently totaled my Airstream along with Hensley and I want to replace it and have some interest in Propride. Any feedback would be appreciated.
As usual Thanks for your help
Bob

"I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know
this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their
great respect, they don't even invite me."

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
the propride adjustable stinger intrigues me... sorry to hear about your rig... what happened.. everybody OK?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Hensley/Propride

Please no versus....To much of that at times around here.

I can only speak for the HAHA. It performs as advertised, I'm sure the Pro-Pride does also.

Get all the info you can from both companies, phone calls help, it's good to talk with a real live American. (sic)
Go with your instincts
You won't be disappointed.

p.s. Hensley also makes a GREAT brake controller.

Sorry about your accident, hope all's back right again.

Bob
Old 10-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Wow...sorry to hear about your 'totaled' AS...hope everyone's OK!

I'm going to convert our AS's coupler to a QuickBite coupler...easy to convert by any welding shop worth it's salt! QuickBiteCouplers.com / New Revolutionary Trailer Coupler makes Trailer Towing Safe, Secure, Easier This coupler is the easiest to back into and lock...it's available with stainless steel jaws so you don't really need any grease on the ball if you use a SS ball...and this coupler is SUPER strong! Look at their web pics of a wreck where the coupler remained on the ball - the hitch on the TV broke, not the coupler! Standard couplers can't take that kind of abuse! That's what sold me, along with the easy hitching feature.

I'm then going to install a new Equi-L-izer, 4 pt hitch assembly. Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution This is a clean design, with it's own built in anti-sway properties, much lighter than the Hensley types, and costs about $500! You could wear out 5 or 6 of these for what you'd pay for a Hensley!

At a recent Rally, with about 25 AS's, I checked out various hitch setups, no Propride's, but there were a couple of the Hensley's. One couple liked the way their Hensley 'handled' but always have problems getting it hooked properly, especially when on uneven surface...they even were having problems hooking up there on the level pavement we were camped at! They had to use a screw jack device under their tongue jack so they could move the trailer tongue side-to-side to get the square Hensley tube into the trailer mounted part of the hitch...granted, they may not be used to their hitch, but they said they'd had it for a couple of years, and this was pretty much standard proceedure...and they said it was a big problem if they couldn't get a straight shot when backing up. The other AS'er with the Hensley liked theirs also, the way it handled, and felt the hookup was just part of their routine for this type of hitch.

That new Propride looks like a lot of hardware to deal with, and lot's more weight...to say nothing of the high price for it and the Hensley.

Another AS'er, had a 2007 27 ft Safari and fitted a new Equa-l-izer when he took delivery. I was impressed with the way it attach's quickly, without any difficulity...the square bars fit up onto the frame brackets without any tool needed and get locked into place easily...it took him about two minutes to hook up his trailer! He pulls with a Chevy SUV, and has never had any adverse sway problems, he says it's rock solid.

We've been using an old Reese type WD hitch with the chains on the bars...and a friction type slider bar along side for sway control...a real 'pain' to hook/unhook...nasty grease that always finds a way to get on your hands or pants, etc...then the chains have to be levered out of the way to lock the frame brackets...we haven't had any bad sway problems, but I want to update to a newer design, that's cleaner and easier to hook and unhook...

I'm banking on the QuickBite and the Equa-l-izer to be just the ticket for us...
Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I believe we might be the ones Mexray was talking about with the Hensley. I wanted to clarify some points. We have had our Hensley for about 4 years give or take. A Hensley is a little trickier to hitch up at times but that can be said for any hitching experience. With the Hensley the tow bar must be aligned with respect to the receiver on the trailer. The "jack" Mex spoke about is a tongue jack and is a handy little tool for any trailer. If you back up and miss your mark by a couple of inches, you can simply crank the tongue over to match up. It saves time and frustration at having to back up multiple times to get aligned.

The Hensley is a brick out house of a hitch and expensive. But it differs from the Equalizer in that the Equalizer is a friction device. It uses friction to dampen sway. The Hensley is 4 point trapezoid hitch which allows the vehicle to input turn but the trailer, by nature of leverage, can not turn independently of the vehicle.

Hensley is way more hitch than is needed 99.99999% of the time. We have ours only for the peace of mind factor. I do maintain that any reasonable sway control hitch, like the Equalizer is all that is needed for safe and reliable towing. However, I do love my Hensley!

Lastly, the Propride is made by the man who invented the Hensley Arrow, Jim Hensley. After a falling out of sorts with Hensley Mfg, Jim is on his own and has made improvments to the Pivot style hitch (the Hensley hitch). It is a lower priced hitch and I bet of equal or better quality then the Hensley Arrow. I have been thinking of getting one for our '54 Cruiser when we are road ready - if that helps.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Tim, a complete hijack-- Do you think you'll have an even dozen mice by the end of the year?
Old 10-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Terry - No chance of that. I found all of their little ways in and have sealed them. Besides, winter5 is coming and they are going underground. The count has not increased since I sealed up that last hole in the front of the trailer.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 10-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Terry - No chance of that. I found all of their little ways in and have sealed them. Besides, winter5 is coming and they are going underground. The count has not increased since I sealed up that last hole in the front of the trailer.
Don't forget you just bought a 34 1/2 foot mousetrap.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Terry may have to split this topic off if it contuinues! That is a cute picture. Yes, we do have a new mousetrap but I WILL be prepared!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Wow......I really hate hearing those two words ("totalled" and "Airstream") used in the same sentence. I am assuming everyone came out okay....

Were you not happy with the Hensley? Or, are you just looking at all options? What will your tow vehicle be, and what size Airstream are you replacing the....err, totaled....Airstream with?

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
What happened?

Hi, not to put the original poster on the spot, sorry to hear about the loss of your trailer, but what happened? It has been stated on this forum that no trailer with a Hensley Arrow hitch has ever been damaged. Note: this is not an exact quote, but close to the statement or claims that were made.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, not to put the original poster on the spot, sorry to hear about the loss of your trailer, but what happened? It has been stated on this forum that no trailer with a Hensley Arrow hitch has ever been damaged. Note: this is not an exact quote, but close to the statement or claims that were made.
If that were true, I would not have a salvaged Hensley from a totaled 34' in storage in Tampa.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I just modified the title of this thread to be slightly less combative...
Things are kind of quiet right now, with just the occasional spammer, and I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Sorry, don't want to take the thread off topic, but is it pronounced Pro-pride, or Prop-ride?

Just curious and having trouble with that one.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Sorry, don't want to take the thread off topic, but is it pronounced Pro-pride, or Prop-ride?

It is pronounced the way it is spelled--
ProPride.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
ProPride.
Well, that's clear as mud!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #17
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochar3 View Post
Hello:
Need some input on the new Propride hitch. Who has purchased and do you have any pictures of installed product?
There are some installed pics in this thread
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ket-42311.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
That new Propride looks like a lot of hardware to deal with, and lot's more weight...to say nothing of the high price for it and the Hensley.
NOT heavier and LESS hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
ProPride.
Yes, exactly, Pro Pride. Although, the products we sell in the marine market makes it easy to pronounce it Prop Ride for those customers.

As for the hitching up comments, the 3P has a greater angle in the hitch box and on the hitch bar. This makes the opening of the hitch box about 1/2" wider. The hitch box has also been reinforced so there is no warping of the upper edge of the box. In my 10 years with the orange company I answered hitching and unhitching questions almost daily. In a little over a year with my new company, and close to 500 hitches on the road, I have had 3 phone calls about hitching or unhitching.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have a Hensley on my trailer. The product works great as advertised and you probably know this. I would recommend this hitch setup to anyone - works very well with my shortwheel base vehicle. I have had GREAT customer service from their parts department when I puchased a used one (ebay) and refurbished it.

but............

If I were buying new I would seriously consider the ProPride hitch for several reasons.
1.) I actually purchased some parts from the owner to modify my Hensley stinger to be adjustable. Sean was very helpful!
2.) The price is better. I believe you can also get price break being a member of Airforums. Check with Sean to verify this.
3.) Proprides adjustable stinger!!! If you need to change tow vehicles you don't have the problems with finding the right height stinger.
4.) Propride is also selling an adjustable stinger for the Hensley owners.
5.) I like the looks of the propride yoke - looks much simpler in design and installation as opposed to the Hensley strut bars.

In the end you can't go wrong with either product.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

Hehehe!

Not very PC of me I guess but when i first heard the Company name, i couldn't help thinking about parades and rainbows!

"Hensley" a "MAN'S" hitch!

Jus kiddin' .............. Brian.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
i couldn't help thinking about parades and rainbows!
Must be a Canadian thing?