Old 05-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Smile Propride & Hensley

We HAD a Reese, also a 30 Airstream both totalled. Reese could not do the job. We now have a Hensley, which came with the newer Airstream or we would have given Propride a shot...

However, if you value yur life at all, price should not be an issue. If you will spend $$$$ on a trailer and not get the best available hitch, that is just plainly stupid as the hitch is the MOST IMPORTANT piece of equipment to keep you and your family SAFE.

Stop whining about $$$ if you can spend it on the trailer, spend it on the hitch. Enough whining... Hensley or Propride...just do it...or stay off the road...

Old 05-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
2Air- friends don't let friends drink and teeter-totter...

kmtyme- nailed it. Don't even mention "cost of hitch" in the same sentence as owning an Airstream.

Jimbo- your video shows pretty plainly, your brake system isn't functioning properly.

The rest of your anti-Hensley verbosity is... well, let's just say I'm callin' a BS card

Old 05-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
It's my second year towing a TT (still, I towed 20k last year); and only 4 weeks into towing my new Airstream (Lovin it!!). My dealer is committed to the HAHA (sorry Sean; think you're great. You gotta work on Andy) so that's what I got. By most of the posters' HO's, my TV (ML320 BluTech) is way too small for my '10 FC 30 (ya'all can comment on another thread) but my diesel pulls so well. The small stature of my TV is a real testament to just how important a good or bad hitch effects your towing experience. Last Sunday I was coming home from Burlington, VT in crazy 50 mph winds. I swear I could feel nothing. It was like the TT wasn't there! These hitches are just unbelievable.
I have friends with regular hitches and no matter what I tell them, I can't make them understand what a difference there is! To me these type of forward PP hitches should be a law.
Folks; if you haven't tried pulling with one; how can you comment?
One other thing, big rigs passing me; you feel NOTHING!!
To all you non-believers, the next time you're at a CG and you see one of us with our too expensive hitches; ask us to take you out for a test drive/pull. We'll be happy to oblige.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 30.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	102386  
Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #74

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
kmtyme- nailed it.
Unfortunately they speak from experience.

This happened on their way to our house last September.

Now they have a HaHa and peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9-21-09 CAMPER & TRUCK DESTROYED 021.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	102391   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-21-09 CAMPER & TRUCK DESTROYED 072.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	102392  

Name:	9-21-09 CAMPER & TRUCK DESTROYED 016.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	102393   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-21-09 CAMPER & TRUCK DESTROYED 065.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	102394  

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #75
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
My dealer is committed to the HAHA (sorry Sean; think you're great. You gotta work on Andy) so that's what I got. .
No problem. Thanks.

I don't expect I'll be doing much with Andy since my retail price isn't much above what he pays for a HaHa. If I sold him hitches for what he pays for the HaHa he'd make less than half what he makes on a HaHa. That's just the cold, hard numbers. Although, I still don't understand why some dealers would buy the HaHa when the company will undercut their dealership partner's price on a HaHa direct to the dealer's customers.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
A few thoughts from a newbie.

We recently purchased a 19' Bambi and after weeks of reading all the threads we could find opted for a ProPride hitch (in spite of so many comments that it was "overkill" for the size trailer and the size/type of tow vehicle we had). The day we drove our new silver baby home was the first time i'd ever towed anything bigger than a bicycle and the only the second time i'd ever been in an RV (the first was the day we made the purchase). You cannot be less experienced than that. In spite of all our wonderful plans to practice driving at the dealer, we ended up with no practice just a good bye wave. So my first moment driving with any type of trailer or RV was that first trip. We drove home in pouring rain and 25 mile per hour winds on open highway. No issues, no problems. While i don't understand any of the mechanics or technical aspects of the ProPride, it sure felt good to have it. And it certainly wasn't my driving skills or experience that helped.

The next time i had to hitch up i had a problem. One of those embarassingly silly newbie kinda problems. In utter frustration i called ProPride and amazingly Sean Woodruff himself answered the phone! He resovled the issue for me in about 1/2 minute. I cannot remember the last time i called a company with an issue and had that kind of response. Amazing.

Some of the comments i found on line (can't recall if it was on airforums) complained about it being difficult to hitch up the Propride. Other than one minor issue one time (which was do only to being a newbie knowing so little) its been a piece of cake to hitch and unhitch (and as above, you cannot find an Airtreamer with less skill and experience than me!). In fact, hitching with the ProPride is so easy i'd be happy to donate my Hitchin Rods to a worthy cause if i could find one.

So, while folks can debate the ProPride with far more technical knowledge than I have, it sure seemed to be a positive factor for us, the service and help are amazing, and we're rather happy for the investment. Yes, it was an investment and incremental cost over the hitch the dealer recommended, but so far we are thrilled we opted for it.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #77

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to safety equipment.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Unfortunately they speak from experience.
So do I

That was using a REESE.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #79
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Wink That looks like mine......

Quote:
So do I

That was using a REESE.
That was especially scary to me...

I had to go look in the driveway to make sure you hadn't borrowed my truck and trailer.

When did that happen?

Regards,

Ken
Old 05-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:

That was using a REESE.
And, that was a 3/4 ton Dodge truck....so, do you think it was too much truck that contributed to it?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
This is to inform you folks that your words have not fallen on deaf ears.

I bought our trailer on April Fools Day. At delivery, I bought what the dealer had, an Equalizer. My TV is a 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax-Limited. My dealer is a state away and about a 9 hour drive from my house. It became necessary for me to make two trips to my dealer.

Most of the trip is flat freeway and the weather was wind with lot's and lot's and lot's of rain.

The trips were uneventful and the trailering felt fine. The hitch was extremely noisy, but I'm told that it will quiet a bit over time.

I am sure that the Equalizer is a fine hitch, they seem to sell a ton of them, but I kept feeling like I was missing something. I finally figured out what it was, "peace of mind".

I knew that peace of mind was going to cost more than I really wanted to spend right now, however, with the truck and trailer combination, I have well over $100,000.00 invested in this rolling tent passion. It's certainly not practical, but passions seldom are.

Oh course there is also the value of life, but I believe the Equalizer is a safe hitch.... however for me, I wanted a bit extra. I am just a "bit extra" kind of guy.

Anyway, I have read these hitch threads until my eyes burn. Some of it is confusing to me, but much of it also makes sense.

TODAY, I ordered a ProPride hitch from Sean. I am really looking forward to receiving it and shortly thereafter, I'll have a very new Equalizer for sale at a bargain price.

I do have to say that while I was close to making up my mind to buy the ProPride, all of the debate on this tread helped to put me over. THAT, and I believe that Sean is an honorable man. Of course, I did tell him that if I hated this hitch, I would hunt him down, force him to eat the evil weed broccoli, while on video.... and put it on youtube completely destroying his man reputation. ;>)

Regardless of what side of the fence you're on over this hitch stuff... thank you all very much for helping me decide.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 05-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Quote:
So do I
That was using a REESE.
Wow... While He may not have been driving, it sure looks like God was along for the ride.

You are very fortunate.

Dan
Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #83
_

. , .
good choice dan...

there can be issues IN rain with the friction based hitches that will not be part of the pp experience.

given the tow vehicle it's important to pay attention to TIRE inflation.

does your truck have P metric or LT tires?

consider switching them to D LT or E LT tires when the time comes.

properly inflated makes a big difference in stability/steering feel.
_______

and we'll look forward to your posting and pix about the NEW hitch,

in the UNofficial pp guide thread...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
2air,

Thanks. YOU helped me make THAT choice.

The tires on my truck are stock with only 3K miles on them. I have figured that I would have to switch over to 10 ply at some point. I'm not familiar with those tire descriptors you mention, but my 30 year old son probably is. He's way ahead of me on this sort of stuff. LOL

Cheers,

Dan