Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
Hensley or not hensley

Hi evryone

I buy a airstream 25 " international at ca-am rv ontario and pick up it on few week ...

I own a Porsche Cayenne 08 v6 to tow...

Now It s time to decide for the hitch ....

I ask for a hensley hitch ... I think ist easy to tow and bether for driving

They offer me a use one no warranty !!!

or they installe EZ lift head and bars ...

the price is 900$ more for the hensley

I dont have any ideal witch one to choose !!!!!

Is it a good ideal the hensley no warranty?

Any futur problem with the hensley? any think to check ?

or the best think ... keep me money and buy the EZ !!!!

I read a lot off great comment for the hensley that why I lokking for it !!

I realy important fact I never tow befor exceopt my mother by law !!

so I want the best combination for tow in a realt safe mode ...

thank you
socool69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Only one answer
Hensley or Pro pride!
Spend the money, keep your family safe!
You are spending a lot on the Airstream, this is the most important part, the hitch!
Old 11-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
but it s a use one !! will be good also ?
Old 11-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You can re-register the hitch with Hensley and pay $500 for the lifetime warranty which will cover the cost of any replacement parts, except for shipping costs.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by socool69 View Post
but it s a use one !! will be good also ?
Of course with no guarantee, you take your chances, but clearly CanAm is a very well established Airstream dealer and have been dealing with Hensley hitches for a very long time. I am sure they would not sell you one - especially since you are buying a new trailer - if they had any thought that it would be less than fully operational. In that regard I would feel more comfortable buying a used one from than than from a private deal somewhere else.

Of course if you want the best assurance - and since you are already spending a lot on a new trailer, why not buy a new Hensley. I believe there policy is that it will be guaranteed as long as you own it.

We bought a new one direct from Hensley when we bought a used Airstream about 6 years ago. It is an amazing hitch. The only problem we ever had is that one of the U-bolt hitches threads stripped when I was torquing it to the specified amount. Easily replaced.

It can take a while to develop your technique to hitch up quickly, but stick with it and once you become familiar, is not an issue!

Bonne Chance .......... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Wellington , Ontario
I purchased a 34' Airstream from Andy at CanAm. Had a heated argument about the Hensley as I did not like it. He had MANY good points, but the cost was a bit much after buying the trailer. After 20,000km, absolutely no issues! Had troubles at first hitching up as it is difficult sometimes, but now I find it simple! LOVE the hitch! Been all over Newfoundland and Gaspe where the roads are not easy to handle... and with no issues, I find I really like the hitch! Also, heading down the interstates... my wife has to remind me that we are pulling a 34' A/S as I tend to forget and get my speed well up there.... which is a testimony that the hitch is working. I forget the A/S is behind me! Never had an issue. I had misunderstood the hitch at first. Trust this helps! Oh, and let Andy set the hitch! Rather an anal guy, but WOW... he knows hitches and how to set things up! Listen to him. He "knows" his stuff, along with his brother Kirk! FABULOUS people! I really trust them!
LNorthway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
In our Calgary RV Service business, each year people contemplate the Hensley but opt out due to the price... Many of these people, after a harrowing experience with windy conditions call me to install an Arrow...
I would definitely recommend an Arrow especially with your Cayenne... a very short wheelbase and soft rear suspension... you won't be sorry.
If it were me, I would go new...
Tony
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I worked my way through the Hitch dilemma a few years ago with our 34' Airstream. I wasn't happy with the original Reese setup. My choice came down to the Hensley or the ProPride. For me the ProPride was the solution (Newer design and about $1000 less when comparing new to new). I have never looked back the PP makes towing our Airstream a fingertip driving experience even here in Atlanta where most of the heavy trucks are doing 15-20 mph faster than I am when they pass. The ProPride worked so well, that I just bought a second one for my 1970 Overlander project which will most likely be hitched to something other than a truck (think smaller SUV).

A 25' with a Cayenne will make a great combo with the proper hitch.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
wow all poeple here have the same opinion GO FOR IT !! I m very impress

thank you

Im new with airstream and what to have a wonderfull time with my airstream

so I will buy it ...

thank you agian
Old 11-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We use a Hensley for our 34' triple axle. It came used with the trailer, in excellent condition. In two years towing, we have experienced zero sway, even in the rain, during heavy wind and with semis passing.

With a backup camera hitching up is child's play, I now frequently get hitched with the first attempt.

I could not imagine towing with anything else.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
FWIW, there are a fair number of Airstreamers towing with a Touareg TDI. That is close to the Porsche you are looking at. I don't know how the drivetrain compares.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have had the same Hensley for ten years. It is now on its third Airstream. It's a fantastic hitch. We have never had the slightest anxious moment while towing with the Hensley. Our Hensley has about 140,000 miles of towing on it.

This past September we had our Hensley's main unit separate on us in Moses Lake, Washington. Hensley shipped us a rebuilt main unit that day. It took four days for it to get to us because of the distance. We got the new unit installed and we continued our trip. The only cost was the shipping.

That being said, I would seriously consider the ProPride if I were buying new today.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Despite a bit of a learning curve on hooking it up - and despite a bit more upkeep -and despite the additional cost - you will find very few Hensley owners that don't rave about the hitch. They (and I) do so for a reason .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
If you want to buy the best hitch to keep yourself and you family safe buy a ProPride and never look back!
Any hitch you buy will tow your trailer - a ProPride will do it better than the rest including the Hensley. So do yourself a favor and buy the best right out of the gate and be done with it. I looked really close at all the options before I spent the $ on a ProPride and have never regretted it

Good luck
Old 11-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #15
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
For us the ProPride's attachment didn't work as well, and the smaller Hensley Cub for trailers up to 6000 lbs TW & 600 lbs HW worked & was cheaper than the ProPride, which is a bit less than the full on Hensley Arrow.

We've been very hapy with it used on a range of rented tow vehicles from pick-up trucks to mid-sized SUVs (2013 F150, 2014 Dodge 2500 & 2013 Nissan Pathfinder V6), & we're leaning toward buying a used Cayenne S V8 as a permanent TV.

I'd suggest you call or email to Terry @ Hensley & see which Cub or Arrow you'd need & how you can get the one sold by CanAm covered by a Hensley lifetime warranty, & check out the ProPride with their guy too.

I saw a war of words between the two guys, but between them all, the two types work essentially the same & I saw very little difference in the two in operation - EXCEPT I was very concerned about failures of the adjustable type tow bar setup that ProPride was using (even if more flexible for our current renting situation).

So my choice was Hensley Cub, but you need to research both at the sources & make your own decision in your comfort zone.

Good Luck!
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Twice ProPride has been recommended in this thread. The original poster is asking about a Hensley.

For the original poster's benefit - I think the reason the ProPride is being recommended is that it is a more recent design of the original Hensley Arrow - designed by Mr. Hensley himself and manufactured by the ProPride company (not the Hensely company).

They act on the same exact principles but the ProPride addresses some of the issues you're hearing about with the original Hensley. Many - but not all - Hensley Arrow owners say that if they were buying new today, they would but the ProPride.

Since both are known as virtual pivot point projection hitches, you can't go wrong with either if your goal is to prevent sway before it happens.

I would assume CanAm wouldn't put a used Hensely on if it felt it was unsafe. So that should be a good option. If you're at all thinking about buying new instead - a new ProPride is less expensive than a new Hensley Arrow but both are relatively expensive compared to other products.

Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #17
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
For us the ProPride's attachment didn't work as well, and the smaller Hensley Cub for trailers up to 6000 lbs TW & 600 lbs HW worked & was cheaper than the ProPride, which is a bit less than the full on Hensley Arrow.

We've been very hapy with it used on a range of rented tow vehicles from pick-up trucks to mid-sized SUVs (2013 F150, 2014 Dodge 2500 & 2013 Nissan Pathfinder V6), & we're leaning toward buying a used Cayenne S V8 as a permanent TV.

I'd suggest you call or email to Terry @ Hensley & see which Cub or Arrow you'd need & how you can get the one sold by CanAm covered by a Hensley lifetime warranty, & check out the ProPride with their guy too.

I saw a war of words between the two guys, but between them all, the two types work essentially the same & I saw very little difference in the two in operation - EXCEPT I was very concerned about failures of the adjustable type tow bar setup that ProPride was using (even if more flexible for our current renting situation).

So my choice was Hensley Cub, but you need to research both at the sources & make your own decision in your comfort zone.

Good Luck!
PS - I also didn't want to mess with removing the cheaper WD units' head & torsion bars when un-hitching & just leave the unit on the trailer - only needing to remove & store the tow bar "stinger" itself, & wanted the jacks over chains for ease of use. I felt the easier to use, the more likely to go places as we get older.

If your Cayenne doesn't have a rear camera option, then get one of those wireless magnetic types that you can put on when you're hitching. I've been able to hit the stinger into the Hensley pretty much 1st or 2nd time with a rear view or backup camera - even by myself.
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
hensley is perfect and enough money for me

thnak you for all your comments

I think Im safe with the hensley buying for caam rv london

We buy the hensley and will be happy with

I hard to spend your money when you dont know anythink about what you are buying ....

so the hensley still my best buy for us

thank
Old 11-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

I have an Equalizer and it has worked fine for me over almost ten years and 10s of thousands of miles but I have an Excursion and a 25 foot trailer. I especially like the ease of hooking up.
If I had a little car and the same size trailer, I would go for a premium hitch. You need all the control you can get because there are a lot of forces generated by your trailer.
I would not pay $900 for a used one. Pay a little more, buy new and get the warranty.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I bought a barely used Hensley, no warranty, but I don't worry about it. If it breaks I will fix it.

A Hensley or a Pro Pride WILL increase your joy in driving, and when camping, that is important.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote