Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I like my Blue OX, but would really like to try out a PP/HA. There is a lightly used PP on CL for $1400....
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Mr. Prez,
If you decide to look at the used Hensley on Craigslist there are a couple of areas that should be noted:
- look closely at all the welds for cracks or paint that has "popped" or "chipped" from a welded area
- make sure all the pins and parts are accounted for. Download the owners manual to review and familiarize yourself with the hitch parts before you look at the hitch. I have a PDF copy that I can email to you.
- There were two styles of frame brackets manufactured by HAHA. One is for an "inverted or undermount" coupler and the other is for a "standard" coupler. You want the "standard" frame bracket for your trailer.
- Look closely at the socket where the spring bars are inserted. This socket can get worn after some miles but it is replaceable with the removal of one bolt and the two spring loaded pins.
- If the hitch is older it will likely need painting. If so, figure on disassembling the hitch, greasing the 8 tapered roller bearings and replacing 4 wheel seals. The seals can be acquired at a local auto parts store.
- The weakest point of the HAHA is the little spring loaded pins with the built-in zerk fittings that hold the spring bars in place. This is a wear item - and usually wear quickly. I buy replacements at McMaster Carr.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Mr. Prez,
If you decide to look at the used Hensley on Craigslist there are a couple of areas that should be noted:
- look closely at all the welds for cracks or paint that has "popped" or "chipped" from a welded area
- make sure all the pins and parts are accounted for. Download the owners manual to review and familiarize yourself with the hitch parts before you look at the hitch. I have a PDF copy that I can email to you.
- There were two styles of frame brackets manufactured by HAHA. One is for an "inverted or undermount" coupler and the other is for a "standard" coupler. You want the "standard" frame bracket for your trailer.
- Look closely at the socket where the spring bars are inserted. This socket can get worn after some miles but it is replaceable with the removal of one bolt and the two spring loaded pins.
- If the hitch is older it will likely need painting. If so, figure on disassembling the hitch, greasing the 8 tapered roller bearings and replacing 4 wheel seals. The seals can be acquired at a local auto parts store.
- The weakest point of the HAHA is the little spring loaded pins with the built-in zerk fittings that hold the spring bars in place. This is a wear item - and usually wear quickly. I buy replacements at McMaster Carr.
Can you link the McMaster Carr part you are using? I searched a couple years ago, and could only find a "similar" piece that had a very close nipple which I could cut a grease slot into and insert the nipple into the existing HAHA housing. That was like $4 each as opposed to $16 each for the HAHA unit.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Mr. Prez,
This is the one I found:

https://mobile.craigslist.org/rvs/4744590879.html
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Here is the link:
McMaster-Carr

Part #3126a47 It is a "steel long-nose spring plunger w/o lock element, 1/2"-13 thread 6.6-17.4 lb nose force"

When the part arrives, I disassemble it so I can get down to the plunger pin. Take the plunger pin and grind a small flat side on it enough for grease to come through. Reassemble using a zerk fitting in place of the hex plug that is removed. Yes there is a little bit of preparation but I can keep several in my emergency parts kit for the cost of what Hensley charges for a new one. Just a few minutes of shop time.
I don't particularly like side skirting the Hensley folks but they charge a bit too much.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, Steve, that's the one I'm using, except I throw out the body and use a slotted nipple in the old HAHA body.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote