Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #29

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I bought a very old, but hardly used Hensley, as evidenced by lack of wear. The serial # sticker had been removed when it was painted prior to my buying it, so the used warranty was a non-issue for me. I disassembled, inspected, sand blasted and repainted, and then rebuilt/lubed and adjusted everything.

It has been flawless for about 15,000 miles. I did get one of Sean's Propride adjustable stingers. It is flawless as well and gives a level of adjustment you just can't achieve with the Hensley Stingers....especially tilt.
I'm thinking about getting one of Sean's adjustable Hensley stingers for Lucy. How much does yours weigh? I'm concerned that it will be a good bit heavier than my 6" drop Hensley hitch bar.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
They are quite heavy. More so than the six inch drop stinger, but not terribly so. Were my rig updated re TT and TV suspension I'd have simply cut and re welded HA stinger. The PP stinger is nicely made and head tilt is great. Good to have for the day when the TV is sidelined. Also adds length.

The price is low for the versatility added. For a full timer with truck it can broken down for storage. As with other bolted heads one needs big torque wrench and long cheater. For the reason of being able to rescue the TT with another TV and not remove hitch from TT it is a winner thus worth having.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Naples , New York
pop rivets

Greetings. I have made repairs on my 64 Globetrotter with Olympic rivets.
They have an internal expanding spider. You clip them off with a clipper and then you finish the rough edge with a fine flat file. I use one that came with my chainsaw .It is flat and fine and about 1/2 inch wide. On the inside, Mostly 1/8 " aluminum rivets do the job.

Good luck
Old 11-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I'm thinking about getting one of Sean's adjustable Hensley stingers for Lucy. How much does yours weigh? I'm concerned that it will be a good bit heavier than my 6" drop Hensley hitch bar.

Brian
Hi Brian, don't know for sure, but maybe 5 pounds more than the haha stinger

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
If you want to buy the best hitch to keep yourself and you family safe buy a ProPride and never look back!
Someday I will have either a Hensley or a PP, but I hate to think *that in the interim* I am consciously doing something that will not keep my family safe... by not buying one now ...
Old 11-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Frankly I think that a Hensley designed hitch adds more to comfort and joy in driving than safety as people will adapt driving style to the limitations and characteristics of their vehicle.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #35

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I really like the idea of the adjustable hitch bar for the Hensley. As we have two active tow vehicles, this would be a very desirable feature.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Frankly I think that a Hensley designed hitch adds more to comfort and joy in driving than safety as people will adapt driving style to the limitations and characteristics of their vehicle.

I politely and respectfully disagree--it's not about comfort or joy. It's better control over the vehicle and the trailer behind. Better control, in my mind, is exactly more safety.

I'm not quick enough to compensate for trailer sway by steering the TV under most circumstances. The ProPride and Hensley designs make a conventional trailer act like it is a fifth wheel setup. The trailer even tracks similarly to a fifth wheel trailer--which does take some getting used to in turns. THe AS does not go the same way it does on a conventional hitch, it tracks to the inside more, which looks weird.

I do know that comparing the handling between my original Husky brand WD only hitch and the ProPride I have now over the exact same course (4 trips up and down the Cajon Pass between LA and Victorville, CA) the ProPride makes my AS track better, is much more stable in the wind, and it is NOT moved out of line when a Semi passes close and fast. I also have less of a problem keeping the TV in its lane, and the AS does not try to steer me from the rear.

I believe that is much safer that the old Husky. ProPride performance in a panic stop, and we had several last year on our cross country trips, was smooth and stable. I can't speak to the Huskys performance in a panic stop, because, thank the ghods, we did not get into that situation. I suspect the AS would have tried to come around to the front, which would not be good...

The joy and comfort, IMHO, is being out and about with our Airstream, without having to worry about stability and sway issues...I'm happy I spent the $$ it took for this improvement.
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Hensley or not hensley

I am a fellow Hensley designed hitch enthusiast, who actually likes to drive. I find "joy in driving" an important and integral aspect of the Airstream lifestyle. Who wants to go camping when getting there is too much like work?

Your point is taken, There is a tangible added safety factor when a trailer will not sway, but it is mitigated via adjusted driving style. Slower speeds, acute situational awareness, two hands on the wheel, etc.

My focus in driving is not to crash, my point was that driving is much more enjoyable when I am not pushing the sway envelope and not having to work so hard.

That said, I will agree that these hitches do add an intrinsic measure of safety.

I think we pretty much agree on the details, more or less, to the same end, these hitches are a good addition to an Airstream.

I bought mine used at a substantial savings, but After towing with one I say they are worth every penny even at full retail.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I am a fellow Hensley designed hitch enthusiast, who actually likes to drive. I find "joy in driving" an important and integral aspect of the Airstream lifestyle. Who wants to go camping when getting there is too much like work?

---------snip--------------

I think we pretty much agree on the details, more or less, to the same end, these hitches are a good addition to an Airstream.

Absolutely...no argument there--Mr. Hensley knows how to design a hitch system.

Our last couple trips through the South (From the left coast, to Alabama and then Florida and Disney World) were a joy--we were on our first REAL vacation in 40-some odd (emphasis on odd) years of marriage. We had time to talk, we saw some neat places...and we ate at Cracker Barrel almost every meal--our fave. Saw the grandkids, and my dear Mom... DisneyWorld was a blast as well.
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:44 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Hensley or not hensley

I love the chicken fried steak and bacon meal at Cracker Barrel! (Ok so there is no such meal, so I make it up when I order)

Good stuff!

My last meal out was at the Barrel!

We have a lot in common, even though you have me by some ten odd years in marriage.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
I m realy happy now to buy my hensley and I want a fun ride not working !!!

now I just need to wait when I pick up my unit .... I oder it with the hensley

but now I know why I so expensive for the hitch but I happy to spend the money for it

thank you for all your comments

and have a safe trip !!
Old 11-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I like my Blue OX, but would really like to try out a PP/HA. There is a lightly used PP on CL for $1400....
Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Mr. Prez,
If you decide to look at the used Hensley on Craigslist there are a couple of areas that should be noted:
- look closely at all the welds for cracks or paint that has "popped" or "chipped" from a welded area
- make sure all the pins and parts are accounted for. Download the owners manual to review and familiarize yourself with the hitch parts before you look at the hitch. I have a PDF copy that I can email to you.
- There were two styles of frame brackets manufactured by HAHA. One is for an "inverted or undermount" coupler and the other is for a "standard" coupler. You want the "standard" frame bracket for your trailer.
- Look closely at the socket where the spring bars are inserted. This socket can get worn after some miles but it is replaceable with the removal of one bolt and the two spring loaded pins.
- If the hitch is older it will likely need painting. If so, figure on disassembling the hitch, greasing the 8 tapered roller bearings and replacing 4 wheel seals. The seals can be acquired at a local auto parts store.
- The weakest point of the HAHA is the little spring loaded pins with the built-in zerk fittings that hold the spring bars in place. This is a wear item - and usually wear quickly. I buy replacements at McMaster Carr.

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote