Old 11-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #15
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
For us the ProPride's attachment didn't work as well, and the smaller Hensley Cub for trailers up to 6000 lbs TW & 600 lbs HW worked & was cheaper than the ProPride, which is a bit less than the full on Hensley Arrow.

We've been very hapy with it used on a range of rented tow vehicles from pick-up trucks to mid-sized SUVs (2013 F150, 2014 Dodge 2500 & 2013 Nissan Pathfinder V6), & we're leaning toward buying a used Cayenne S V8 as a permanent TV.

I'd suggest you call or email to Terry @ Hensley & see which Cub or Arrow you'd need & how you can get the one sold by CanAm covered by a Hensley lifetime warranty, & check out the ProPride with their guy too.

I saw a war of words between the two guys, but between them all, the two types work essentially the same & I saw very little difference in the two in operation - EXCEPT I was very concerned about failures of the adjustable type tow bar setup that ProPride was using (even if more flexible for our current renting situation).

So my choice was Hensley Cub, but you need to research both at the sources & make your own decision in your comfort zone.

Good Luck!

1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Twice ProPride has been recommended in this thread. The original poster is asking about a Hensley.

For the original poster's benefit - I think the reason the ProPride is being recommended is that it is a more recent design of the original Hensley Arrow - designed by Mr. Hensley himself and manufactured by the ProPride company (not the Hensely company).

They act on the same exact principles but the ProPride addresses some of the issues you're hearing about with the original Hensley. Many - but not all - Hensley Arrow owners say that if they were buying new today, they would but the ProPride.

Since both are known as virtual pivot point projection hitches, you can't go wrong with either if your goal is to prevent sway before it happens.

I would assume CanAm wouldn't put a used Hensely on if it felt it was unsafe. So that should be a good option. If you're at all thinking about buying new instead - a new ProPride is less expensive than a new Hensley Arrow but both are relatively expensive compared to other products.

Good luck!!

Old 11-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #17
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
For us the ProPride's attachment didn't work as well, and the smaller Hensley Cub for trailers up to 6000 lbs TW & 600 lbs HW worked & was cheaper than the ProPride, which is a bit less than the full on Hensley Arrow.

We've been very hapy with it used on a range of rented tow vehicles from pick-up trucks to mid-sized SUVs (2013 F150, 2014 Dodge 2500 & 2013 Nissan Pathfinder V6), & we're leaning toward buying a used Cayenne S V8 as a permanent TV.

I'd suggest you call or email to Terry @ Hensley & see which Cub or Arrow you'd need & how you can get the one sold by CanAm covered by a Hensley lifetime warranty, & check out the ProPride with their guy too.

I saw a war of words between the two guys, but between them all, the two types work essentially the same & I saw very little difference in the two in operation - EXCEPT I was very concerned about failures of the adjustable type tow bar setup that ProPride was using (even if more flexible for our current renting situation).

So my choice was Hensley Cub, but you need to research both at the sources & make your own decision in your comfort zone.

Good Luck!
PS - I also didn't want to mess with removing the cheaper WD units' head & torsion bars when un-hitching & just leave the unit on the trailer - only needing to remove & store the tow bar "stinger" itself, & wanted the jacks over chains for ease of use. I felt the easier to use, the more likely to go places as we get older.

If your Cayenne doesn't have a rear camera option, then get one of those wireless magnetic types that you can put on when you're hitching. I've been able to hit the stinger into the Hensley pretty much 1st or 2nd time with a rear view or backup camera - even by myself.
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
hensley is perfect and enough money for me

thnak you for all your comments

I think Im safe with the hensley buying for caam rv london

We buy the hensley and will be happy with

I hard to spend your money when you dont know anythink about what you are buying ....

so the hensley still my best buy for us

thank
Old 11-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

I have an Equalizer and it has worked fine for me over almost ten years and 10s of thousands of miles but I have an Excursion and a 25 foot trailer. I especially like the ease of hooking up.
If I had a little car and the same size trailer, I would go for a premium hitch. You need all the control you can get because there are a lot of forces generated by your trailer.
I would not pay $900 for a used one. Pay a little more, buy new and get the warranty.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I bought a barely used Hensley, no warranty, but I don't worry about it. If it breaks I will fix it.

A Hensley or a Pro Pride WILL increase your joy in driving, and when camping, that is important.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by socool69 View Post
hensley is perfect and enough money for me

thnak you for all your comments

I think Im safe with the hensley buying for caam rv london

We buy the hensley and will be happy with

I hard to spend your money when you dont know anythink about what you are buying ....

so the hensley still my best buy for us

thank
Your making the right choice; CanAm set up my X5 and 31' with a new Hensley in 2001 (ref my avatar); 35,000+ miles later I've only had to replace 2 jack screw pins which wore through; trust Andy Thomson.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I bought my Hensley used with my po classic. Changed TVs and bought a new bar storing my long shank 2". I did not pay the $500 to transfer the warranty. Like a previous post I'll buy parts if I need them.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
I think 500$ its too mutch for the warranty I didnt take it

Ca am rv fix it and I hope Im ok for few years

thank you for all comments
Old 11-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
First time towing with Cayenne? I used to tow with 2005 Cayenne Turbo. Works best to hold it in fifth gear when in any type of hills to prevent constant shifting. Also, fuel mileage best at 96 kph or less. Make certain the brake controller is properly set up as well as the hitch.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I bought a very old, but hardly used Hensley, as evidenced by lack of wear. The serial # sticker had been removed when it was painted prior to my buying it, so the used warranty was a non-issue for me. I disassembled, inspected, sand blasted and repainted, and then rebuilt/lubed and adjusted everything.

It has been flawless for about 15,000 miles. I did get one of Sean's Propride adjustable stingers. It is flawless as well and gives a level of adjustment you just can't achieve with the Hensley Stingers....especially tilt.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
yes first time with my cayenne but its not a turbo one only the v6..

hope not too hard on gaz millage

what the gaz millage do you get with yours ?
Old 11-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
As I remember it was between 10 and 12 mpg or 20-24 l per 100km Eventually I went to a Dodge Cummins diesel because of the limited cruising range with gasoline.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I cant say good or bad about any other hitches, but my Hensley makes my trailer pull like a fifth wheel. Super comfortable and super stable.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote