Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Thanks Bob.

The O rings is a great idea. If carried on one of the QB guide sticks that would make hitching truly a one man job and cut the hitching time even shorter.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I have used both the Equalizer and the ProPride on our 16' Bambi. Probably 5000 miles towing with the Equalizer about 6000 with the ProPride.
I hated the groaning of the Equalizer and I felt as though the trailer moved too much to passing trucks and wind. Never felt it oscillate with the Equalizer but it was not exactly stress free.

Hitching time is pretty much the same for both hitches ( I actually believe that the ProPride is a little faster most times). I do have a factory back up camera on my F-150 so it is pretty easy for both hitches. One time in three I need to move forward and re-align, this happens with both hitches and it takes about 10 seconds total when I do. As to the towing experience, I will never go back to anything else after experiencing the ProPride. Everything from making a change to weight distribution to the feeling of the trailer while towing is just awesome with the ProPride (and I assume the Hensley). No longer do I grip the wheel tight when passing a fast semi when on a two lane road, no longer do we porpoise while crossing the Tappan Zee bridge or the Sagamore bridge heading to Cape Cod. Use what you like! I love our ProPride.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I will agree that when we first got our Hensley, there was a time that I wondered if it was worth the extra trouble of hitching it up.

I soon learned a few great tips though and quickly moved up the learning curve - usually get it done now as quickly as I ever did with my old standard hitch.

Perhaps the biggest thing i learned is not to try to force things when alignment isn't correct - it won't work! Take your time and get alignment right with a couple of simple aids and things will then go smoothly. Don't be impatient!

In my case, the great relaxed ride and added peace of mind and enjoyment when towing greatly outweigh the time you need to invest to learn the hookup tips. I would certainly buy it again.

No doubt the Propride experience would be just as good (probably Propride owners would say better!) since it works in a similar fashion as the Hensley. I can't really speak to the Andersen, no experience with it.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
from Terry Powell at Hensley:

The Hensley Cub is designed for trailers up to 25’ in length and up to 6000 lbs. of trailer weight. Our Cub hitch normally sells retail for $2515. However, right now we are conducting a test market for the Cub hitch and if your trailer is 21’ or less in length like your trailer is then you can order your brand new Hensley Cub for only $1695 which is $820 off the normal price. Then we also have an alternate installation kit using snap up brackets and chain links to lift the weight distribution bars into position that would save you an additional $300 making it only $1395. Now $1120 off the normal price is a great deal.

Currently we are also conducting an off season sale offering a flat rate $99 shipping anywhere in the US and reduced shipping to Canada. This special shipping offer will save up to an additional $195 off the normal costs. Also as part of this off season special we are including 90 days interest free as part of our 12 month payment plan.
That sounds like a good deal. Hensley and Propride are expensive but in my opinion they both have safety performance that is worth the price. I have owned and towed with a Reese Dual Cam, an Equalizer brand, and a Propride. The Propride is what I use now. It's a great hitch and, as I have stated before, very easy to hitch and unhitch by yourself.

Another benefit to Hensley and Propride is they do not depreciate much and sell easily if you ever decide you are done with towing a travel trailer.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #25
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I am a very happy Anderson user. The hensely or PP's were never in the equation for me. I was sort of happy with the traditional WD hitch I had ( Equalizer style ). It worked well and towed nicely. I wanted to get a new hitch since I was having difficulty with the bars falling out of their socket and dragging on the road. Fortunately did not loose it. I went with the Anderson because of it's simplicity and light weight. I just got home the other day from my first trip using the Anderson. We traveled 5,400 miles over 6 weeks. I have never used sway control with my other hitches and I find that the AH allowed no sway at all. Some roads just can't be smoothed out no matter what you do
( ie. Rt. 10 W of New Orleans). It's a real roller coaster ride but the AH gave our trailer a soft ride and under control at all times. From what I read here the Hensley and PP users love them. I'm sure they make a fine hitch but I've never used one or even taken a real close look at them. But for my trailer and truck combination the Anderson was a good choice and I strongly recommend it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Thanks Bob.

The O rings is a great idea. If carried on one of the QB guide sticks that would make hitching truly a one man job and cut the hitching time even shorter.
Epiphany struck while watching DW create a pony tail, got severely reprimanded for stealing two elastic hair ties, (we were camping). Subsequently replaced with O-rings from the garage tool box.

Bob
Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

Epiphany struck while watching DW create a pony tail....

Bob
DW: dear wife?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
DW: dear wife?
Yep, AKA...SWMBO

Bob
Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

Yep, AKA...SWMBO

Bob
??

Some women may be offended?
She who must be obeyed?
Super woman made Bob overjoyed?

Got to be one of those 3, yes?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #30
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I'm sorry but the learning curve on a Hensley is like learning how to have sex. Once you finesse the technique of fitting your stinger into a 2" box, you can do it all by yourself.

OK, that sounds weird, but those of you in the know understand what i mean.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
OK, that sounds weird, but those of you in the know understand what i mean.
That's pretty doggoned close to the feeling.

When I first got back to RVing, after a four year break, relearning the Hensley meant 20 minutes of trial and error and cursing. Now I get it first try, about 85% of the time. I still curse anyway.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have had a Hensley for Lucy from the beginning. We have now towed Lucy with the Hensley for over 100.000 miles. We have hooked up with the Hensley hundreds of times. There is a bit of a learning curve with the Hensley, but it's not launching rockets.

The towing experience makes it worth the expense and effort. We have never has a single anxious moment with the Hensley. There is no sway, period.

This being said, if I were replacing Lucy's Hensley today, I would seriously consider the ProPride.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote