Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Hensley on a Vintage? New Coupler?

Have been searching this topic without much luck and would love to hear from any Vintage owners. We've recently restored our '69, 31' Sovereign and are considering moving our Hensley Hitch (purchased in 2007- installed on our 2007 27' Safari) to the '69.

We have two options.

Send the hitch to Hensley and have it modified to fit the 2 5/16? ball or update / change the coupler on our '69 to a standard 2" and simply move the hitch from one trailer to the next. Of course, option three is to skip the Hensley completely and use the existing "weight distribution" bars that are on the '69 now. Not sure of the brand or style.

I've been told that changing the coupler is a bad idea due to the fact that it creates weakness (new weld point) in an area that receives the most stress. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Your '69 has a 2" ball, the newer trailers all have 2 5/16". The Hensley also has 2 5/16", and any competent welder can cut the old coupler off and weld a 2 5/16" coupler in its place. I recommend doing this anyway, since the 2" coupler is really too light duty for that size and weight trailer.
And I have a Hensley Arrow on our vintage Sovereign. I installed it when we had the short wheelbase Dodge, and I see no reason to remove it for the F250.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
It does not require sending your Arrow back. All you need to do is get a new top (orange piece) with the Adapt-a-Ball shaft, remove the old top off the link spindles, and slide the new top on.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowaways View Post
Have been searching this topic without much luck and would love to hear from any Vintage owners. We've recently restored our '69, 31' Sovereign and are considering moving our Hensley Hitch (purchased in 2007- installed on our 2007 27' Safari) to the '69.

We have two options.

Send the hitch to Hensley and have it modified to fit the 2 5/16? ball or update / change the coupler on our '69 to a standard 2" and simply move the hitch from one trailer to the next. Of course, option three is to skip the Hensley completely and use the existing "weight distribution" bars that are on the '69 now. Not sure of the brand or style.

I've been told that changing the coupler is a bad idea due to the fact that it creates weakness (new weld point) in an area that receives the most stress. Thanks in advance!
OK, I'm confused.

Shouldn't a 2007 have a 2 5/16" ball coupler?

What size does the '69 have now?

2" really hasn't been "standard" for a long time. My Trade Wind has a 2" ball, but it is (slightly) older than your '69. Your description sounds like your '69 has the 2 5/16" ball which should be the same as the 2007.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
My first Airstream was a '69, and I am virtually positive it had a 2 5/16 ball size. But '69 was a transition year, and Airstream could have used anything they had laying around....
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
1969 was the last year for the 2" ball. 1970 began the 2-5/16" ball on virtually evrything time.
1969 was a year pretty much unto itself, at least in the Airstream world. Last year of the 2" ball, first year of the new body style, only year of the oddball wing windows.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
A 40+ year old 2" couple was lightweight/borderline and is likely do to be replaced any way to be safe do to ware and age. Unless someone replaced the coupler on your 2007 with a 2" like your post implied.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote