Old 04-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #43
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I was shopping locally for a Reese Dual Cam, and actually found one, used on 3 trips, not far from me.
The seller tows a 32ft SOB travel trailer with a Ford Excursion.
His words:
"I am selling the Reese for a Hensley Arrow, because I experienced too much sway. Even though I need to sell the Reese, buy a Hensley Arrow if you can afford it. The difference is huge."
Well, I have no budget for it, I sold the 71 Tradewind complete with the old hitch, and need another hitch for the Overlander. So, for the price I can't pass up the complete Reese HP system he's selling. I assume to be able to resell it without a loss if it becomes necessary. I have personally only heard 2 negatives about the Hensley Arrow, and both had to do with hitching/unhitching complications.

Old 04-18-2005, 02:19 PM   #44
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I have personally only heard 2 negatives about the Hensley Arrow, and both had to do with hitching/unhitching complications.
The first time we hitched up with the Hensley ... it took us over 2 hours! Now we don't even think about it. It just takes some experience ... and a Tongue Twister.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:36 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Glad My Experience Helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminauts
Big Dee, Thanks for mentioning in post #40 of this thread that you noticed sway develop when your strut bars were not as tight as intended.
I have just returned from my first tow since I checked that my bars were TIGHT. They hadn't seemed to move forward or backwards when I jiggle them, but did seem to slide laterally on their mount bar. I slid back the box cover, and twisted on the lock nut, IT WAS about a full turn LOOSE on each bar. After I tightened according to the Hensley book, I could no longer even jiggle them on their mount bar.
AND NOW
I feel like a 54 foot suburban with trailer extension NOT just a pretty closely coupled trailer. I have moved up to a tow with NO SWAY as Hensley advertises.
Your comment in the mention post got me to thinking maybe I was not as tight as I should have been, I am eternally grateful.
Yeah, those struts got to be firm with no movement at all. Struts were loose on the two Hensley's that were at the NorCal rally. I got them the owners to tighten up and check regularly. No sense in having the Hensley if the struts are loose.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:02 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
I tow a 1999 34 Limited with a 2002 Chev 2500 H.D. I also tow a 1974 Tradewind 25 with same rig. I use a Reese Dual Cam set-up. I am not going to coment on the Hensley because I have never used one, but I have never had a problem with my current gear. It's quick to hook-up. It's adjustable from trailer to trailer and much more affordable. I have experienced high crosswinds and heavy truck traffic and I have not had any unpleasent events. I guess what I'm trying to say is " If it ain't broke don't fix it."
Old 06-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1979 30' Argosy
Grand Junction , Colorado
Hensley

Recently purchased a Hensley in Ocala, Florida. Towed a 1989 Excella from there to Iowa. Four lane, through Atlanta at rush hour, two lane winding roads, up and down inclines and everything in between with no problems.
I have been towing trailers for the last twenty years and thought my trailers towed well but this was no comparison. Absolutely no sway. I know most people will think that our Airstreams tow great with a Reese or Pull-Rite but this is definitely a big improvement.
Bought mine used from Walt's RV in Ocala and paid $1500. Don't know if I would have sprung for the retail price but sure glad I bought this one.
IMHO I recommend every airstream owner at least consider one.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
One good sized moose running up out of the ditch to my right, directly into my path, at a distance of thirty yards ahead, and I was driving sixty mph. . . and I instinctively swerved to miss him [successfully]. From that day I began to appreciate the Hensley far above any hitch I had previously owned.
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:26 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
I'm one of those into overkill when it comes to safety.

Spent the first 6 months towing our '67 Safari(22')with a regular type of equalizer hitch.Hated the white knuckling that would happen when a Semi would pass by,or wind buffeting that would occur downhill on some occasions.

Bought the Hensley,installed it myself and have never looked back.I NEVER feel a thing now while towing...in fact,one must be careful to not get over-confident while towing with it,because you can easily forget you are towing!

Our longest trip was this past March,when we went down to Palm Springs and Phoenix from Vancouver,BC.There were two incidents that came up where the hitch paid for itself in seconds.

As for hooking up...not sure what all the fuss is about.There is a learning curve,to be sure...but once you are past that,I think it's easier than conventional hitches...and no sway bars to take off and store!

Charlotte
Old 07-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome back Char...long time between posts! Hope you've had some great travels ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Thanks Shari!!

It has been a long time.Sadly,I only think to check in here when it's Airstream Polish time or Airstream Repair time!!Right now,it's Airstream Polish time!!Just ordered 2 Worthington tanks and a bit more Nuvite F7....going to get it all looking swell for the upcoming Mount Baker rally!

We love every minute we spend in our Safari.The last trip was a long one(6 weeks!),and it performed admirably throughout.This week,we are off to Whistler and then down to Orcas Island,Washington...then it's polish-time for a week!!

Hope all has been well with you...I am sure your unit is looking better than ever!

Charlotte
Old 08-21-2005, 03:21 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Just have to comment about my Hensley after my just completing my 8,000 mile cross country trip. I LOVE MY HENSLEY! It makes towing so easy that I can't believe it. I can't tell you how many times I saw semi trucks pass other trailers and those trailers fish tailing all over the road in front of me. But after 1000's of trucks passing me and I feel nothing- ever! Straight as an arrow. Worth every single penny I paid and then some. The only way I'll give up my Hensley is if it is pried from my cold, dead hands.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:35 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Here Here

Big Dee, couldn't agree more. The amount of control I have over my 30' Sovereign in incredible compared to what it was before. There's no way I would give up my Hensley.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:27 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Equal Time

I don't mean to comment or criticize the Hensley hitch, but it is worthwhile to also consider the Pullrite Hitch. There are no hitching problems greater than a classical Weight Distribution hitch. (...Also the concept of the Pullrite hitch is simple and straightforward that appealed to my engineering sense.) The Pullrite does require that part of its system be attached to the Tow Vehicle.

I love my Pullrite on my Suburban pulling a 31' Excella. "The only time you notice an 18 wheeler passing you is when you hear its engine in your left ear."

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

All options should be considered

You're absolutely right to look at other options. A good consumer always does. Like anything else, if it works for you and you're happy then it's a good match.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:52 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Hitch up the costworthy

Perhaps it is because I am such a newby here or perhaps it is that I notice little or no sway in my trailer loaded with clothes, food, water. I look at my little hitch and know it is fine for me and I pull another trailer at almost 6000 lbs, (flatbed with electric brakes too) Sway is just not a real big issue with my driving. Is it seen as a real bugaboo with most people? I know I use my brake controller like I have used it on 50 foot trailer I have driven when driving semi's. It readily straightens out trailer. Have also used electric brakes to straighten trailers out on snow covered roads.. What is glamour about big fancy hitches? Am I missing some special need?