Old 01-30-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
Hensley Installation??

Can anyone give a first timer any adivce about installing a Hensley Hitch? It Arrives on Thursday and I was wondering if it's as straight foward as the instructions say or is there a catch that someone could help me prepare for. Hitch arrives thursday first trip is Friday so I'm cutting it pretty close.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Its been a few years but my recollection is that Hensley's directions are pretty good. I believe it took me a couple of hours the first time. (I measured everything several times.) On the road, be sure to check the stut bars for tightness whenever you stop.

Be sure and take the instructions with you because unhitching and hitching up can be a real pain till you've done it a few times. Af first, hitching up for us was easiest with my wife in the truck and me giving directions. I usually do it by myself now but we've had ours on four trailers over the last ten years.

Old 01-31-2005, 05:52 AM   #3
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
If you purchased the hitch which requires you to drill into the frame of the trailer be sure to purchase drill bits which will drill through steel. I purchased cobalt bits and although expensive they worked great.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:53 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
My son and I installed our hitch while the trailer was still at the dealer. I remember a floor jack was handy in helping to lift the hitch up to the trailer ball. Other than that, all was rather straight forward. After you drive the rig some, go back to the hitch and snug up the strut arms. Any movement in the strut arms will reduce the effectiveness of the hitch.

Btw, the first time we used our trailer was on an overnight drive to florida. As a matter of fact, the first night we slept in the trailer was in Daytona Beach Florida.

Good Luck
Old 01-31-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO
If you purchased the hitch which requires you to drill into the frame of the trailer be sure to purchase drill bits which will drill through steel. I purchased cobalt bits and although expensive they worked great.
The frame is mild steel and just about any non-dull bit you have laying around will go through just fine. I drilled mine with my battery-powered drill and a set of bits I have had for years. Best to drill a small hole (about 3/16" or less) first, then drill to the final size. A bit of oil helps, also.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
I remember being [overly] concerned about the trailer and tow vehicle being lined up exactly right before beginning, but realized later that accuracy on the installation at the hitch was simple and straightforward. I found the directions complete and helpful, did not try to rush through it, and it all took about four hours or less. As others have stated, adjustments of the struts tightness on each side is critical, so check them regularly.

Enjoy the process, and you will be glad to have a Hensley and their extra margin of safety.

Bud
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
Thanks for the help guys,sounds like if I take my time and don't rush shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the tip on the floor jack, just borrowed mine back from the neighbor. I read the instructions on-line and they mention only having to drill if you have an aluminum frame, the ubolts will crush a alcoa frame so you have to drill. Frame looks like steel to me so I don't think I'll have that problem.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I know that Toscano had to remove the gas line and reattach it afterwards. The line goes over the bracket. Be careful of the grease zerks (they also hold the spring bars up when unhitched) as they can easily break. Toscano broke both on installation and I broke one last summer. Hensley offers outstanding customer service. They will talk you through anything and will send replacement parts immediately without charge. At least they did for me.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
My Hensley hitch came with a drill bit for drilling the holes for the 4 shear bolts. These bolts are in addition to the U bolts.

Ben
Old 01-31-2005, 07:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Also for hitching up, a must have is the Hitch Helper (aka Tongue Twister) from BAL. Hensley sells it. It is the one thing that makes hitching a breeze.

Come rally with us.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:01 PM   #11
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Kestrell,

As LeeC and MarkJoanDall said, make sure you keep any slack off Strut bars, it will make your unit handle badly. Take the directions when you travel.

It took me some time to get the hang especially on compound hills but once I mastered it, it's a snap. I always pick the A/S from storage by myself and can usually hook up and drive off in about 15 minutes.

In time you’ll get a reference point through your rear window and get pretty close to being on center. The “Twister” really helps especially when you’re off a tiny bit or a couple of inches!

Oh, when the Stinger fits into the Hensley, I was getting a creaking noise, which spokes my dog, a small film of grease; lube plate takes care of this. It generally last for several towings. I heard someone talk about using candle wax, it doesn't create a mess but I think you’d have to repeat this just about each time unhooked and re-hooked.

My 2 cents!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:44 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
Hensley

I have found a small jar of Teflon Grease from the local boating store works well for lubricating tongue and will not dissolve in rain. Use generously and hitching up will be a snap.

dale

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I use a can of silicone spray. Spray both bar and receiver and Presto it slides right in. After my last hitch, I avoid greese like the plague.

Come rally with us.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:29 PM   #14
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
How do you do this?

I've read of people using a cordless drill to raise and lower the spring bars on a Hensley hitch. I use a 3/4" rachet and it is a slow process. What do you use to interface the cordless drill with a 3/4" socket? I can't find anything slim enough to fit the drill chuck.
Thanks!
Mark