Old 01-31-2005, 10:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Mark,

I am up in Canada and bought a drive bit in a Rona store(like a home depot) that is quarter inch hex to fit in chuck of drill and three eighth square to accept socket.
Auto jobber should also have them.
Al

Old 01-31-2005, 10:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Also do install the shear bolts. I used mine for a while just clamped and it shifted every trip I took.

I didn't want to drill frame but it is worth doing.
Al

Old 02-01-2005, 12:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Apparently the following tip is in the instruction but I missed it, someone at a rally last summer in Canada told me to try this when hooking up. When you back the hitch bar into the Hensley, leave the tow vehicle in reverse until you complete the connections, this ensures that your TV doesn't move forward on you which can happen when moving the transmission into park. I do this now and it makes hookup easier, I also use a twister for lining the hitch bar and the female receptacle thingamajig attached to the trailer. I really enjoyed installing the Hensley, follow the instructions carefully and measure everything at least twice. I had Hensley send me two different drop bars, I mailed back the one I didn't need, good thing because the one they suggested was wrong(too low). Good luck!
Old 02-01-2005, 10:00 AM   #18
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wiltrakis
I've read of people using a cordless drill to raise and lower the spring bars on a Hensley hitch. I use a 3/4" rachet and it is a slow process. What do you use to interface the cordless drill with a 3/4" socket? I can't find anything slim enough to fit the drill chuck.
Thanks!
Mark
Mark, I bought a 3/4 socket (PN KOBALT 22864) and a 1/4 shank from Lowes to fit my cordless drill, it works great!
Old 02-01-2005, 03:49 PM   #19
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Al and John -

Thanks!! This will same me some time!

Mark
Old 02-01-2005, 06:24 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
Excellent! I knew I could count on the fourm for info. I pull a small single axel trailer as an every day part of the job so the minute I saw the hitch helper I knew that was gonna' have to be ordered. Arrives with the hitch. Sounds like pick your lubricant just make sure the hitch bar is lubed up well. How about for setting the spring bars at the right tension, any short cuts there besides the electric dill trick mentioned earlier??
Old 02-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
It's a lot easier on you or your drill cranking up the spring bars if you raise the tongue jack all the way first.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #22
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrell
Excellent! I knew I could count on the fourm for info. I pull a small single axel trailer as an every day part of the job so the minute I saw the hitch helper I knew that was gonna' have to be ordered. Arrives with the hitch. Sounds like pick your lubricant just make sure the hitch bar is lubed up well. How about for setting the spring bars at the right tension, any short cuts there besides the electric dill trick mentioned earlier??
Kestrell,

My experience has been: set the tower/spring bars (using the big end of the supplied blue ratchet as a gauge) where there is just enough clearance between the cotter pin and the tower sleeve.

This a base setting then you can adjust tighter or lighter based tow vehicle ride being, too hard-soft or wind conditions requiring a firmer ride.

When you are satisfied with a setting, mark the tower sleeve with a white mark (I use brush-on touch-up paint) so you can bring it up to that mark with your drill motor. I usually do this and then fine tune it to the requirements of the day.

In other words find a setting you like and mark it. If you want to get fancy, you can use color rings to mark your firm and soft settings!

When I unhitch, using a tape measure (I carry one in my box of hitch stuff)and measure the Hensley to the ground (not usually exact, it help to get close, I set my tong jack until this measurement is within a couple of inches, then simply loosen the spring bars until they are sloppy loose, then I can disconnect and pull away (and usually a nice silent unhitch).

It doesn't take too long to master the "system"

I hope my notes makes sense, Good luck,
Old 02-01-2005, 09:27 PM   #23
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I am not the greatest mechanically able person on earth, quite the opposite, but I managed to install the Hensley hitch, in a Good Sam park, by myself, in half the time the instructions suggested it could take.

I do not have a hitch helper, and since the first month of having the hitch, have no difficulty in hitching up. I once forgot to put the adapter bar into the truck's receiver, and left it on the hitch.. I coupled that first time, and still don't know how I did it.

Always make sure that you grease the hitch zerks, and keep everything tight. The hitch is a tough thing, that is unlikely to break down, but excess wear could occure if you don't keep it greased.

Theo