Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2003, 06:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hensley Hitch Question

I pull a 27 foot Safari with an Expedition and a Hensley. I have logged about 25000 miles and am very satisified, vis-a-vis power and--expecially-- trailer control and lack of sway. However, I have , I think, problem.

I have discussed the problem with Hensley Manufacturing and will probably send the Hitch back for servicing and repair. I am wondering if any of you can shed any light on the issue.

I get a large accumulation of grease between the black cylinders into which the grease zerks screw. When greasing the hitch, I can force grease out the bottom around the connection point for the spring bars, but I would consider that normal--just like one would observe when greasing the various joints in an automoblie suspension system. However I also get profuse grease between the cylinders.

The design of the hitch is such that you cannot see the backside of the zerk cylinders, even if looking into the receiver for the hitch bar. I suspect a crack in one of the welds, but am not sure. All the welds that I can see look good.

Any ideas?
Princer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 08:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Interesting!

I just went out and looked at my Hensley and the only grease that I see is the grease that comes out the bottom where the spring bars are, no where else.

I too suspect a crack within the cylinder wall.

Please share the finding from Hensley!!!

Good Luck-John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
I am not sure I understand exactly where you are seeing this grease. I find grease on the end of the tow bar when I remove it from the hitch head. I presumed this was normal since it was coming from inside the hitch head in the vicinity of the zerts. I found this after putting a liberal amount of grease in the spring bar zerts. I do not find any on the outside except where it comes out around the bottom of where the spring bars enter. I will be waiting on the response you get from Hensley.
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 05:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Hensley Hitch Question

James--

I too find grease on the end of the tow bar, but from my conversations with Hensley, there is no way for grease to get out of the cylinders(into which the zerks screw) except out the bottom. That being the case, you should see grease in the vicinity of the spring bar connection, but nowhere else. My understanding is that grease on the hitch(tow) bar should only be grease that you put there, not somehow grease that enters through the zerks.

It'll take a month or so to sort this out , but I will post a reply after I get feedback from Hensley.

Any person sending me their e-mail address can be assured that I will e-mail them information as I get it. My e-mail address is
johnprince@aol.com
Princer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:16 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

standard hitch

I have a heavy duty hitch that has two bars that distribute the weight from the hitch to the trailor (28' safari)...this is a very heavy hitch that I use only with my a/s...a smaller slide out one for the boat...it has no grease fittings...am I missing something here?...since I am new at this maybe I need to know more about a Hensley since I plan togo our west this spring...???thanks, sign man
Old 08-26-2003, 07:16 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Happen to me as well

I saw the same situation with my Hensley and then I figured out what was happening. When properly engaged, the zerks lock into the grease gun. If they are not engaged to the point of locking, the pressure of the grease gun will force grease out the side of the fitting and with the angle of the grease gun to the Hensley zerk, that tends to be in the area between the zerks. I found that if I gave the grease gun a firm push (you can feel it snap onto the zerk...it also resists and requires a firm pull back to release the lock) the grease issue between the zerks vanished. Even if you don't get the zerk to lock, it will still put grease into the torsion bar tube, so you might not think you were doing anything wrong. Hopefully this will be your situation.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: standard hitch

Quote:
Originally posted by sign man
I have a heavy duty hitch that has two bars that distribute the weight from the hitch to the trailor (28' safari)...this is a very heavy hitch that I use only with my a/s...a smaller slide out one for the boat...it has no grease fittings...am I missing something here?...since I am new at this maybe I need to know more about a Hensley since I plan togo our west this spring...???thanks, sign man
Hensley is a different hitch system all together. It sounds like you have a traditional weight distributing hitch.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you want a Hensley, better act fast. They are having a special promotion. $200 down and $125/month for 24 months. I've paid less for a useable pick-up truck.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote