Old 11-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
when i travel i like to travel in comfort.if you are going out on the interstates and are going to travel any kind of distance with big trucks passing and constantly sucking your trailer in ,i think consideration of a first class setup is necessary.i have towed over the years with friction setups,dual cams etc.i had my hensley installed by my ad when i purchased my last airstream.my son in law purchased his sob from a dealer that set him up with some weight dist hitch that looked like it was designed for a popup.his trailer is 28 ft long and he tows it with an f250 diesel.the first trip we went on he called me on my cell to tell me to let him know what exit to get off at because he was experiencing trouble keeping up.of course my daughter decided to ride with me on that trip since she wanted to hang out with her mother.i decided after that trip to try to find them a used hensley since i had a major safety concern.i picked a used one for $1800,and installed it with my son in law on a saturday afternoon.i told him if he didnt like it we could probably resell it for close to the purchase price.in this case my piece of mind was worth more than $1800,with my daughter on board.of course my son in law is so cost conscious that he would never been able to pull the trigger on this type of hitch.i told him when i see him after a long pull now,he doesnt look al sweaty like he used too.he obviously doesnt want to sell the orange monster.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #58
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
You did the right thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
when i see him after a long pull now,he doesnt look al sweaty like he used too.he obviously doesnt want to sell the orange monster.
There is no better reason for using the Hensley...SAFETY.

You did a good thing congrats.

Why I use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HAHA SHAKEDOWN 015.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	70628  

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #59
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
when i travel i like to travel in comfort.if you are going out on the interstates and are going to travel any kind of distance with big trucks passing and constantly sucking your trailer in ,i think consideration of a first class setup is necessary.i have towed over the years with friction setups,dual cams etc.i had my hensley installed by my ad when i purchased my last airstream.my son in law purchased his sob from a dealer that set him up with some weight dist hitch that looked like it was designed for a popup.his trailer is 28 ft long and he tows it with an f250 diesel.the first trip we went on he called me on my cell to tell me to let him know what exit to get off at because he was experiencing trouble keeping up.of course my daughter decided to ride with me on that trip since she wanted to hang out with her mother.i decided after that trip to try to find them a used hensley since i had a major safety concern.i picked a used one for $1800,and installed it with my son in law on a saturday afternoon.i told him if he didnt like it we could probably resell it for close to the purchase price.in this case my piece of mind was worth more than $1800,with my daughter on board.of course my son in law is so cost conscious that he would never been able to pull the trigger on this type of hitch.i told him when i see him after a long pull now,he doesnt look al sweaty like he used too.he obviously doesnt want to sell the orange monster.

Very nice story. You're to be commended for your character and love for your family.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
Well, I think I got a good deal off Craig's List today. Picked up a HA #397X for $600. Few chips in the orange, but everything else looks very good. It didn't have the spring bars. It has a 2" drop. How do I figure out what drop I need? It's at least 4 and maybe 6 for a 02 Chevy 2500 PU and a 73 Sovereign. What's your opinion?

Earl
Old 11-23-2008, 07:30 AM   #61
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgrin View Post
Well, I think I got a good deal off Craig's List today. Picked up a HA #397X for $600. Few chips in the orange, but everything else looks very good. It didn't have the spring bars. It has a 2" drop. How do I figure out what drop I need? It's at least 4 and maybe 6 for a 02 Chevy 2500 PU and a 73 Sovereign. What's your opinion?

Earl
Not sure what the hitch height is for your Sovereign but...
Hitch-up, load as though your going somewhere and measure how far off you are. I had to go from a 4 to a 6 when we got the 06 Burb. Your 2500 should be pretty close to our Burb. They do have an exchange program, call and get their recommendations.
Is this the same deal I saw earlier? $600 'ya done real good.

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:47 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
Thanks Bob. I'll call HA tech today and get their recommendation. The 2500 handles a heavy load easily. I just sold a truck camper and it road perfect. I don't know what size spring bars to get. Reading Andy's comments about WD, they should be 550#. I don't know how the HA is different.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #63

Hensley Hitch

I have a used Hensley (Serial # 2791) A friend who does not tow her AS asked me to sell it. We do NOT have the shank, but you can get them from Hensley to fit your rig. This has all the parts. $1000 plus shipping or make me an offer.

Steve
480-895-4954
Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #64
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Double check with HA for their recommendations on size of spring bars based on your individual tongue weight. Spring bar size does vary with brand.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote