Old 01-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #15
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Hensley is a great company to deal with. By all means get your hitch warranty transferred to your name. Why? After my trip to Alaska I had numerous parts that needed replacing. Hensley said order new parts and send us your old ones. It is all covered under the life time warranty. They said they could not build a hitch that would stand all the abuse the North Canadian roads place on equipment. Then, three or four years later a bearing cap came loose. Hensley said send us your hitch. They promptly sent me a new one. All you do is pay the freight.
Now the easy way to adjust the zerk fitting sleeves to hold your bars. Unfasten the rear of the bar. Back off the zerk sleeve to allow the bar to go all the way up in the socket. Hold the bar up in the socket with your foot. Use a nut driver with a 3/8 inch socket and tighten the sleeve, by the zerk. As you tighten the sleeve move the rear of the bar up and down so as to be able to feel when the sleeve touchs the back of the bar in the socket. Hold the bar down so the sleeve will just touch the back of the bar while it is against the rear of the bar socket. This will insure the sleeve is not actually into the hole. That way will allow the zerk pin to slip into the retaining bar grove. Hold the zerk stationary with the 3/8 socket and tighten the 3/4 lock nut. If you do this correctly the bar will stay in until the zerk is worn down again. This could last for years. As the hitch wears one side may wear faster than the other side. It seems the curbside wears faster, but that may be because that side of the road is always rougher. I personally enjoy adjusting the zerk sleeve with the above technique. Hint: if the up and own motion of the bar is more than 3/4 to an inch, the bar socket may be worn too much. In that case you need a replacement. I don't think it is listed in their spare parts on line. Just call them. Also, if you use the 1,400 lb. bars the socket can be a loose fit allowing quite a bit of up and down motion. You can by a 1,000 lb. socket and grinding the hole to fit almost perfectly with almost no up and down play. That sure makes the whole set up a much tighter rig. Enjoy your hitch they are a great addition to safer towing. PrpPride I a good one too!
guskmg

Old 01-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not sure if you address me, but they refused a warranty transfer. No serial number = no transfer. Why they are not stamped in astounds me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:15 PM   #17
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Not sure if you address me, but they refused a warranty transfer. No serial number = no transfer. Why they are not stamped in astounds me.
Rich,

I'd think that they could get the serial number from their records, if you can give them the name & address of the original owners whom you bought it from (& the trailer from?), since they'd have it registered with them. You could then ask them to reproduce a new s/n sticker.

Terry Powell had told me that they maintain the s/n records for the first buyers from the sales records, & said he already had mine from the sales invoice, after I emailed all worried & said: "...I'd forgotten to send in my reg. card & did he need it?".

BTW - I agree on the stamped s/n!

Alternatively, if it needs some reconditioning anyway, maybe check with Terry Powell for a price to do that & (re) assign a serial number & give you a warranty.

Both the above are worth another run at it.

PS - If they do have the original owner's records & s/n on file - & you can provide that OO's name & proof of purchase with the trailer or otherwise - then it seems like pretty poor business practice to deny a legit transfer, or at least do the alternative above with a paid refurb. of the hitch.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Tom, I tried all that. It apparently is an early model by some of the construction attributes (ie. Within the first couple years of production). It had little wear on it but was badly sun baked. The AS was traded in to a dealer who removed it and set it in a corner for years. I stumbled upon it and the dealer was glad to get rid of it. He had no idea who the first owner was anymore. Believe me, I went down this road....all the way with Hensley. They couldn't identify it and wouldn't budge on buying into a warranty transfer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
BTW, I did my own refurb. Including sandblast and repaint. See my pics in my registry .

Old 01-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have had Hensley Arrow number 8332 since new ten years ago. It is now on its third Airstream. and has about 140,000 miles of towing under its belt.

The lower unit hitch bar receiver wallowed out after about four years. We were in Michigan, and went by the Hensley factory. They replaced the whole lower unit for us at no charge. In 2014, we experienced a head failure where the lower and upper units separated. The bearings came out on the ground. Fortunately, were were at a campground starting to hook up when this occurred. Hensley sent us a rebuilt head unit which we installed ourselves. We were in Moses Lake, Washington when this happened. It cost us about $100 in freight each way, and it took about five days. Even though this is a rebuilt unit, and not our original, Hensley considers it to be serial number 8332.

I have now installed the Hensley on three different Airstreams. I have always done it myself after the Airstream dealer botched the install on Old Lucy in 2005. It's not that hard and you know its done right. I replaced the Zerks on each install.

I carry a Hensley parts kit with me at all times.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=dznf0g;1742353 SNIP>>>><<< Why they are not stamped in astounds me.[/QUOTE]

Noticed that when we got ours....before the clear coat & install I secured those mickey mouse decals.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00039.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	256531   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00030.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	256532  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I carry a Hensley parts kit with me at all times.

Brian
What is in the parts kit?

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:05 PM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
What is in the parts kit?
Hi Grant. I will pull the kit and let you know. It may take me until Monday. We are traveling with Lucy right now, but plan to be back home tomorrow night. I will dig out the kit then.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Hi Grant. I will pull the kit and let you know. It may take me until Monday. We are traveling with Lucy right now, but plan to be back home tomorrow night. I will dig out the kit then.

Brian
Thanks, I just found it on their website:
Hensley Arrow/Cub Emergency Kit $31.25.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote