Old 01-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
"I am ordering my Hensley tomorrow. "
BeBop,
Did your Hensley arrive?? Have you put it on the Airstream??

Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:18 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
vajeep,

I did order the Hensley during their "$300 off" promotion at the end of 2005. They also extended the refund period to 120 days if the purchase was made during that period. I have yet to install the hitch, as my trailer is currently 1,100 miles away from it in New Mexico. My "extraction mission" to bring the trailer home to California will probably take place in February, hopefully.

The prior owner of my unit included a Reese WD hitch in the deal. After a number of phone conversations with him, I am going to give the Reese a trial run local to the trailer's current location, to see if it meets my performance needs. If it doesn't meet all my expectations, I slap the Hensley on and have a hitch (the Reese) to sell with the trailer if I ever wish to do so.

As far as I can discern the issues regarding a Hensley are 1) the price, 2) the ease of hitching it up to the tow vehicle, and 3) the weight of the hitch itself. 1 & 3, I believe, are not relevant issues for me. 2 seems to be addressable using the proper procedures, and perhaps a "tongue twister".

Any input from Hensley owners regarding ease of hook-up?

Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:43 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop
vajeep,Any input from Hensley owners regarding ease of hook-up?
I think the best way to get to get to know your hitch is to install it your self. That being said ( I did not install mine, but I wish I had) The first time you hook up is the hardest. Every thing is new and fits very tight. I wish I had a Hensley owner to show me the tricks. But do not worry the learning curve is very fast. Keep the owners manual with you and just follow the step by step process. I took over an hour the first time. But the second time was 30min and after one season I can hook up in a few minutes. Each time you hook up un hook you learn some thing new. If you want to talk I would be happy to help with any other questions.
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop
Any input from Hensley owners regarding ease of hook-up?
Get this FastHitch Mirror! You can see the pincer right into the receiver with no problem. Hitch up is totally easy for me since I got the mirror. I don't even use the Tongue Twister anymore. No need.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:25 AM   #33
_

. , .
hi bebop and others

mine was installed by my as dealer service department. afterward i spent 30 minutes having them explain how they'd put it together....i read the manual twice the night before and again that day. i like to make notes/draw pictures and ask lots of questions.

hook up was easy the first time because i was parked on a billard table flat wide lot. i did this 4-5 times right then and until the techs were bored watching me and left.....

hook up was not as easy days later in a lumpy campground but got easier with each use...sometimes during a slow day i'd hook/unhook multiple times just to practice....and now i don't fear any camping spot and do the hook ups alone.

the mirror from camping world looks like a value.....the hitch helper from hensley was used once......then back to the box....it really isn't needed.

cheers
and safe towing
2air'
Old 01-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
I also took advantage of the year-end offer and received mine about a week ago. I'll put it on when it warms up. Hensley was accomodating by extending the return date to April 30th for me since trailer is in storage until spring. I had one before and they are pretty straight forward to install. The Hitch Helper for about $25 looked like it would help in the alignment when doing it by yourself. I also received my Brakesmart brake controller today so I'm done spending for awhile.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:42 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
The FastHitch mirror definitely looks like a handy accessory. I intended to get one to assist in hitching up the boat trailers, but I have always been able to move the tongue into alignment physically. I don't think that will be possible with the Airstream. I guess I will go CampingWorld this weekend and make my life a little easier.

When the time comes, I do plan to install the hitch myself. The procedure seems pretty straightforward.

I seems like the only required talent for the Hensley is patience in the hitching procedure at the beginning to the learning curve.
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Slidell , Louisiana
I just purchased the Hensley and I also took advantage of the year end offer receiving mine about a week ago. I hope to have it installed on my 1978 Excella 31' in a week or so.

After experiencing some swaying that easily could have lead to someone getting hurt or damage to the Excella I decided on the Hensley. For the safety of my family the money was not that big of an issue.

I understand intallation may be a couple of hours, can anyone confirm the installation time?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
It took my husband about 2 1/2 hours to install our Hensley Arrow - most of it was reading the directions, which are very good.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:23 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Slidell , Louisiana
2 1/2 hours is about what I expected, thanks.

I hope to install this thing in the next week or so.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

A dealer here in CA. charges 50.00 to service trailers with the hensley hitch. He says its a real pain unhooking what needs to be done in order to move it around for service. He said he would kill any of his salesman that recommended it! hummmm.... He did say that they were a good hitch, just not service friendly!
Old 02-02-2006, 07:25 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Jackson Center built a hitch extension that slips into the Hensley and has a ball coupler on the end. They keep it aboard the tractor that moves trailers around, so it doesn't matter if you have a Hensley or conventional hitch. They're a good repair center, but the difference is they are customer friendly.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Hensley Newbie

Last fall we took a long trip with a new-to-us trailer with Hensley. It took a while, but I finally figured out what was important when hitching: the vertical angle. With this angle slightly off, I was trying to slide the bar in and it kept shoving the trailer. ( It is easy to forget little details after driving over 9 hours in one day.) Get the angle of the Hensley to match the truck, and it will go in easy.

The other disconcerning item was coasting downhill. The Hensley rocks forward on either the left or right side of the receiver hitch with a little thunk. Nothing to worry about, but not expected after using a normal ball hitch. That same rocking occurs when you are backing it up, trying to avoid those trees with your precious aluminum. Just remember you cannot steer the trailer until you have moved the few inches back to lock the hitch.

Good luck with your new hitch!
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
what idiotic dealer is this? would never go to them. they are obviously clueless. a simple adapter that any machine shop could fabricate easily is all that is needed for the forklift. toscanos moves mine around like nothing. cant believe how they can manuver my trailer into the tightest spots. and thias dealer charges $50 for this? what a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine
A dealer here in CA. charges 50.00 to service trailers with the hensley hitch. He says its a real pain unhooking what needs to be done in order to move it around for service. He said he would kill any of his salesman that recommended it! hummmm.... He did say that they were a good hitch, just not service friendly!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote