Old 12-25-2005, 03:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Equi-Li-Zer

OK, now that we got the happy and satisfied, already sold customer base outta the way. You HH folks get a chance to explain to us lowly owners of Reese, Equilizer, etc...., how it it that we can be so wrong in the choice we made.

I want something where, upon looking back it, that I can yes conclusively, it made a difference. Or maybe it didn't.

Not more of that 'it worked for me' stuff - nuts and bolts tests with all equipment the same - only change the hitch. Print that!

I'll be listening for sure!

Axel

Old 12-25-2005, 06:51 AM   #16
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I have never owned a Hensley, although I have done the research. I have always used a Reese Dual-Cam. There are a number of threads out there on the Hensley Arrow, and were it not for the odd angle and tilt at which my Excursion has to sit to back the Behemoth into it's spot, I'd probably have bought the Hensley. As RKM said, the design is nothing short of brilliant. It effectively moves the pivot point of the hitch from the hitch location itself to a spot at or near the rear differential; the ideal location for a hitch.

Remember that sway controls don't fix the causes of sway, they just mask it well until there's a really significant opportunity for the tendency to sway to overcome the sway control you've installed. Then, of course, you're in REAL trouble.

Trailer sway can be induced by a number of factors; most of which come down to: improper loading (not enough tongue weight or a significant weight balance difference side-to-side); soft sidewalls on either the tow vehicle or the trailer or both; or suspension on the tow vehicle that isn't strong enought to keep the axle centered under the tow vehicle body as the weight of the trailer tries to move the tow vehicle's body around (rear-axle steering).

External events (side wind gusts, truck wake, irregular roads, panic swerves) cause one or more of these problems to come into play, ultimately causing sway. If you're tow vehicle is properly sized for your trailer, it will be less likely to be acted upon by trailer sway, and allow you to retain control. If your trailer is properly loaded with 10% to 15% of it's total weight on the tongue, and is balanced side to side, it will be less likely to sway. If your trailer tires are aired up to their maximum, the sidewalls will be more stiff and will allow less movement of the trailer laterally. If your tow vehicle's tires are sized properly for the load and aired up to near max, they'll better withstand lateral movement.

It's interesting to note how many folks complain that towing their trailer is a horrible experience with one tow vehicle, and then report that it has somehow magically become an absolute joy to tow with another. That alone leads one to believe that many of the factors that control sway tendencies are inherent in the tow vehicle and not necessarily in the trailer. I have found that particularly to be the case with Airstreams in general. Airstreams just don't inherently have a tendency to sway as do some white box trailers.

In my case with my Excursion, when I bought it, it constantly 'wiggled' and had a most unsettling feeling when I towed. It never had a severe sway episode (with the Airstream, but DID with another, smaller trailer), but it always felt like it might at any second. I had to install both radius rods and a rear sway bar (controls body roll) to achieve the desired stability in towing my 34'.

Once you've addressed all of the variables I've described, and your trailer still has a tendency to feel like it wants to sway, then the Hensley may be your only choice.

All that said, the only reason I haven't bought the Hensley at this point is that the trailer and tow vehicle need to be fairly level and straight to hitch and unhitch, and the approach to my RV pad causes some fairly severe angles, both horizontal and vertical to come into play to get hitched up. I don't think that with the twisted postion my hitch ends up in, that I could get the Hensley draw bar in and out of my reciever. I think that's it's only drawback for me. In my estimation the Hensley adds that extra margin of safety in towing.

Roger

Old 12-25-2005, 06:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

OK Iím the odd man out. I tried the Hensley Arrow Hitch and loved it, using someone elseís rig. I use a Reese WD single cam sway with a Commercial Air Ride Hitch. I could not be happier. The Hensley Arrow was just to much weight, cost and more or less a permanent fixture to the Airstream. The Air Ride dose much the same thing as the Hensley except the trailer follows like a trailer. Meaning the Air Ride does not compensate for corner turning. Probably where Hensley getís the term Arrow. (Follows straight as an arrow). However at less than half the price and less than 100 pounds the Air Ride is a great choice for doing the same thing with an exceptionally smooth ride. You have to look behind you now and again to see if you are really towing an 8,000 pound trailer.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
OK, now that we got the happy and satisfied, already sold customer base outta the way. You HH folks get a chance to explain to us lowly owners of Reese, Equilizer, etc...., how it it that we can be so wrong in the choice we made.

I want something where, upon looking back it, that I can yes conclusively, it made a difference. Or maybe it didn't.

Not more of that 'it worked for me' stuff - nuts and bolts tests with all equipment the same - only change the hitch. Print that!

Axel
Axel,

I am not new to towing trailers. I have towed horse trailers, boat trailers, animal capture trailers, and SOB's for both work and pleasure during most of my adult life. Previous to purchasing the 30' AS Classic, I owned/towed my inherited 1988 29' Traveleze, using the same tow vehicle (2002 3/4 ton Yukon XL) and an Eazi-lift hitch with a friction sway control.

When we started looking at the Airstream, I pretty much believed that all house trailer hitches were created equally. I let my husband do the research, some of it on these forums, and he came up with the Reese High Performance Dual Cam hitch. Never having experienced any issues in towing, I agreed and our dealer ordered and installed the Reese.

From the first time we towed the Airstream, we experienced sway brought on by passing vehicles, long sweeping curves in the roadway, and unknown causes, especially if we pushed the speed much over 60mph. We have spent the past year trying to improve the performance....including, but not limited to: new (better) tires for the tow vehicle, changes in tire pressure, and tweeking the hitch itself (remeasuring installation directions, including two 3-hour trips to the dealer to see if they could make a difference). Nothing really helped.

After a scary incident in high winds near Palm Springs, we finally decided to order the Hensley. It was an INSTANT improvement! The only change we have made since the Hensley was with the Prodigy brake controller....making the trailer brake sooner. I actually believe that the problem we were experiencing with the Reese may have had to do with the Autoride feature on our GMC Yukon. However, since the Autoride is an integrated part of the vehicle and the computer, it was cheaper to go with a new hitch than a new tow vehicle! And....for whatever reason, it worked.

I don't think everyone "needs" a Hensley....it totally depends on the tow vehicle, the amount of weight you are towing and your towing speed. Basically, if you feel comfortable with your hitch, stick with it!

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 12-25-2005, 09:03 PM   #19
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brow324
I looked at a Hensley Hitch last week. seems like a military grade towing monster. But at $3000 is it worth it? ANyone have experience with this unit and comparisons to a standard Reese type hitch. I've been towing for 10 years with a standard weight distribution hitch with no problems. But we're looking at a new 28 footer and the dealer is really pushing these $3000 hitches. So...is it really necessary - considering the safety claimes of the company...or is it all smoke and mirror hype?

thanks
hi brow324 and others....... and welcome to airstreams.

for background, i have a 34/hensley/250psd long bed.

let me address some of the issues in your post, and then respond to some of the other comments in this thread.

"all smoke and mirror hype".......no the hensley is not. spend some time reading the patent documents filed for this design. the value of using this design is clearly stated in the patent. the safety claims made by the company are supported by the patent, but keep in mind MANY of the safety claims floating around are those made by USERS not the company.....so sorthing out what the factory claims vs users is a challenge.

if you have more questions about how it works, ask them here, and i or others can offer some answers. most owners don't really understand 'how' it works but their experience tells them 'that' it works.....so users become a source for hype, and so is some of the marketing materials.....but testimonials exist for ALL products as does marketing hype. find me a product that doesn't have hype or happy users singing praise......

i agree completely with porky,
arrived at my purchase like roadkinkmoe,
yet still unstand that the issues roger relates are all absolutely paramount......
just like brakes don't stop us, tires do....tires are a critical part of any tv/hitch/trailer combination....as is the brake controller....because one of the situations where even a hensley will struggle is trailer brake failure or delayed response.

"the dealer is really pushing these $3000 dollar hitches".......i'm having trouble sorting out this statement. hensley doesn't use dealers or a network of salesmen......all sales are from the home office by phone, mail or on line. so have you asked your dealer why he seems to be suggesting this hitch? perhaps he's used it and is happy with it for the same reasons as the rest of us users; perhaps he's got an engineering background and has studied the product design; perhaps his shop jas installed a bunch and gotten so much positive feedback that he's become a supporter.....there are other reasons why he might be 'pushing' this hitch......so ask and LET US KNOW. but one thing is certain he isn't selling them. maybe he plans to charge for the install (my dealer installed it at no cost)

"at $3000 is it worth it" this comes up alot, but frankly i'm surprised by how often this gets asked on an AIRSTREAM forum. we all know new airstreams price at 2-3 times sob. and that used airstreams may be 2-10 times the price of used sob..........so take any list of reasons WHY an airstream is worth the price and almost everyone will apply to the hensley.....i'll mention just three.
1. actual dollar cost........if one keeps the hitch for 25-30 years the cost is only 100/year. many many folks move their hitch when buying a new trailer, or buy another. should one ever decide to sell the hensley......they can expect to recover 1/2 to 2/3 of the purchase price.......and hensley will sell a lifetime warranty to the new owner.... if the hensley is left on a trailer when sold it likely adds 1500-2000$ to the selling price. so from my view the hensley doesn't COST nearly as much as the purchase price.....just like an airstream.
2. quality/design......the hensley hitch is a very well made item and the design is truely unique.....just like an airstream. in fact on many levels the hensley is better made and designed than our favorite trailers.
3. customer service/support.......60 day return, 24 hour emergency support, rapid on line support, upgrades, trade ins, replacement parts and so on......most hensley users praise the customer service (i had a crappy experience however). i have yet to read anything from a hensley user that wasn't positive.....can the same be said for airstream?

so there are many reasons to justity the initial price tag...........just like airsteams.......and both new & used buyers benefit from the dollar value issue.

so brow, hope this helps some with your decision about the hensley......

85mh325 it is often mentioned that hitching is harder......my experience is that it takes 1-2 minutes longer but that it's not any harder. i tow alone and back up/hitch without any 'aides' except for the visual clues we all have. yes it is really hard/nearly impossible hitch if the dropbar (stinger) is left attached to the hitch. so like most users, i don't pull the pin on the stinger but disconnect the stinger from the hitch and leave the stinger attached to the truck.....i use a tape to measure stinger height from the ground for later......when reattaching the truck i raise/lower the hitch box to the previous height. if the trailer or truck is 'rotated' relative to each other, i use the spring bars to rotate the box to the correct alignment.....usually just raising/lowering one spring bar will make for perfect alignment..... the receiver box on the hensley is tapered some, so the opening is larger than the stinger....so alignment doesn't need be perfect, like it would be if trying to dock the stinger with the t.v. box.....

i've hitched up in a variety of wild positions where the t.v./trailer are rotated/turned/tilted and so on.....yes i do try to initially park 'straight' but really worry more about the trailer being level side to side like everyone else. don't let the hitching issues keep you from the ultimate towing experience....

silvertoy.....it's unlikely any other brand is going to do side to side perfect comparison tests that include the hensley......and so far hensley hasn't seen the need to do this to promote sales.....for that matter have you seen ANYONE do an unbiased test/comparison of 5th wheel vs hitch ball vs gooseneck, or spring bars vs none, or anti sway vs none.......or any other possible trailer towing design....??? how can you believe sway control of any sort works or that spring bars work when all we have to convince us is testimonials or personal experience? i've never seen any even remotely scientific comparisons of any hitch related issue, feature or design.....

in addition, every single hitch user here that likes their specific brand/setup uses exactly the same methods....they tell us a towing satifaction story......saying "'it worked for me' stuff" but add the statement......'at less than 1/2 the cost.

i have only read one comment from a hensley owner that was negative about the hitch......and that was regarding hook up.....and once this person understood how to use the trailer jack to correct hookup height.....they withdrew the negative comment. so while testimonials are of limited value.......the lack of negatives stories FROM hensley owners is unique for most products of any sort.

so silvertoy if you want "facts" look at the hensley patent and try to understand the physics behind how it works....it takes some effort to understand that really, but for the same reasons an airplane wing can create lift.....a hensley can reduce sway......and it's really a simple physics issue.

bebop........."Does the Hensley provide a significant design advantage over the other options, regardless of price?"

my reply to you bebop is absolutely yes, the hensley provides a significant design advantage.....your post suggests cost isn't the primary issue for you so we can skip right over that.

the hensley 4 bar design creates a virtual pivot point about 48 inches forward of the ball.....so for many rigs this moves the pivot point very near the rear t.v. axle (actually on my long bed it's still behing it but 4 feet closer) this forward point, ((combined with properly inflated tires and adjusted brake controller)) greatly reduces sway type motions from all causes (wind, bow waves, blowouts, uneven pavement, driver over steering...and so on). other features of the hensley design help with crosswinds so that drivers seldom feel any side to side forces, which reduces the drivers tendency to "over correct/steer" and cause sway/control problems.

the pullrite also move the pivot point forward. the dual cam also creates a ridge connection from t/v to trailer. but neither of these designs creates the virtual pivot point that moves with response to driver input and widens the arc for any sway motions.....both the pullrite and dual cam rely on creating a ridgid connection between hitch and trailer and this can be a negative in some conditions....the hensley actually allows some sidetoside movement at the front of the trailer......which counters the most rearward side to side movement.

in the same way that folks have trouble understanding the monocoque design features of an airstream.......the 4 bar design of the hensley isn't understood.......but it is a clear advantage..again bebop, i suggest you download/copy the hensley patent. then take it to a engineer along with diagram of the hitch....they should be able to explain why the design is so unique compared to other systems....

jstanley......you're correct no one is likely to do a consumer reports quality comparison......but i do have some comments about your post....... "was told at the JC factory that for my 25 footer, a Hensley would be a bit of overkill. But if I towed a larger and heaver trailer- -consider a Hensley hitch." well again while i love the factory folks.....unless they are a towing expert this is just motherly advice most of them only have experience moving trailers around in the factory grounds......., shorter trailers are more subject to sway from driver oversteering, blowouts, uneven pavement bow waves and so on. yes a long heavy trailer that is already swaying will take more effort to correct.....but the hensley would be great for single axle trailers....since even with a tire blow out, there will be no sway during the panic stop..... so the real value of a hensley on many trailers is how it helps control things during a sudden unexpected event (blowout, sideswipe, uneven pavement, side impact) and in those situations a hensley would not be overkill.

"And although my dealer sold Hensley hitches, he said the Reese is fine for my set-up. (Chevy Van 1500 w/ weight distribution)." what dealer is this? since no dealers that i'm aware of, SELL hensleys.......the fact is most dealers do sell some brand of hitch and need to figure out how to include the cost of the hitch/installation in the purchase price.....so virtually every dealer recommendation regarding hitches is for a product that they stock, sell or can include in the trailer price.......

i don't know which 25 footer you have but if it's a new classic you'd be very close to the limits with a 1/2 ton van.... on the other hand your rear over hand is very short, so the hensley would move the pivot point really forward on that setup, improving antisway greatly with any bars to adjust....

well this is a loooooooooooong post and i've not included any personal testimonials......yet.

and it's true there are many hitch/hensley threads here and while they all could be combined........mostly that would mean just one long stream of "i like it" "i don't" comments.....so whenever someone new asks specifically about the hensley, we hensley users owe them some reply.....and none of us "sell" hensley arrow hitches.

so i support a "ban" on the happy user comments....

when we ALSO forbid the "you don't need that 'cuze i don't" comments.....

cheers
2air'
Old 12-26-2005, 10:16 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Okay... Hensley it is

Thanks, 2 airishuman, for your "lengthy" post. It has reinforced the perspective that I have had since I started investigating the "hitch" issue.

I understand that the "sway" tendency is a composite of a number of factors... tow vehicle, trailer size and characteristics, tire inflation, load distribution, environmental conditions, driver condition, et cetera.

I have always been a believer in "redundant systems", and what concerns me the most is my attention to all the factors that can lead to an unfortunate occurence in towing the trailer. On the road we have not only our investment in our equipment at stake, but more importantly, the safety of those that we are journeying with, as well as our fellow travelers on the road.

To me, an additional $2k spent on safety, even though it may never be needed, is a wise investment. I have reveiewed the patent information, as well as the overall design of the Hensley. I am not an engineer, but my basic knowledge of physics and mechanics leads me to believe that the design would provide an additional factor of security in my travels.

I am ordering my Hensley tomorrow. Perhaps I am a victim of "hype", but I do not believe that is the case.
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:34 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Bambi

I want the best hitch possible for my set up an F 150 pulling a 19' Bambi. I now have an Ez lift with one friction sway bar and have never felt any sway. Is the Hensley needed for my set up? Would it be way over kill and a waste of money or a big impprovement and add to safety ?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:22 AM   #22
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
We pulled our 25' Caravanner with a LWB Dodge and a Reese setup and it worked fine. When we bought the Classic 30 I went with the Hensley and it was strikingly better. It is especially different when a big rig passes you and it doesn't push you sideways. If you plan on keeping it for awhile, it's definitely worth the extra money. On a long straight stretch with the diesel you sometimes forget you're towing anything.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:07 AM   #23
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy

Axel
I don't get it... Why do owners of hitches other than Hensley feel they are being persecuted by Hensley owners. I don't think anybody would REALLY be so bold as to tell Reese owners that they made the wrong choice in the hitch.
Just a different choice, that's all. Different hitches do the same thing in different ways. Primarily that is to tow a trailer. How secondary things like sway are dealt with is what makes hitches as varied as apples and oranges.
On the forums here people are saying that they have towed with other hitches and then a Hensley and some say Ė no difference while others say big difference. Hensley owners are generally very loyal to the product, perhaps more so than owners of other hitches. That can bother some people.

In the case of the Hensley, it does control sway in a way that is different from every other hitch out there. The details can be seen at http://www.divtune.com/hensley/. This difference can be intimidating because the principal is a little difficult to understand at first and therefore somewhat enigmatic. But it is no mystery at all. The hitch does work Ė period.

So if there are owners of non-Hensley hitches out there who are feeling like they made the wrong choice somehow Ė perhaps it is because THEY actually are feeling like THEY made the wrong choice which may have nothing to do with Hensley Owners at all. I for one don't tell people they made the wrong choice in a hitch. And I am a Hensley owner...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:30 AM   #24
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
I don't get it... Why do owners of hitches other than Hensley feel they are being persecuted by Hensley owners.
I don't think it's a matter of being persecuted. It's partly a matter of Hensley marketing in the best traditions of patent medicine. They charge five times what the other brands charge, make seemingly outrageous claims about the product's efficacy (which turn out to be true, in this case), and have legions of vocal, satisifed (healed) customers.

The problem is that folks want to find, and then look for a single solution to a very scary, complex and multi-faceted problem that they don't understand very well... sway. Hensley markets their hitch as a single cure-all for all causes of sway. And if the solution someone is using seems to be working, then the questions they ask are: why would they want a new solution? If the solution someone else is using that costs 1/5th the amount of THIS solution, why should they use the more expensive solution? Is the other solution really worth five times as much? Do the owners of Hensley push it 'cause they've invested that much and don't want to admit that it's not worth the money? Or is the Hensley really so signficantly better a product that it merits spending that much? If you've done your homework, you know that the Hensley works. Whether or not it's worth the money becomes a value-for-dollar issue that each buyer has to decide for himself.

I go into MEGO syndrome (My Eyes Glaze Over) whenever formulas hit the chalk board. I DO however, have an excellent grasp of physics (and drag factors, and blah blah blah) as they related to vehicle movement. I also (believe) I have as good an understanding of the causes and results of trailer sway, both from academic AND real-world experience perspectives as anyone. For me, the Hensley design makes perfect sense and is actually brilliant in it execution. I also understand why and how it works.

The marketing, however, IS cheezy and makes me think of a medicine show.

The Hensley isn't needed by everyone. In ardenrj's case, it would merely add signficant weight without significant value to his towing setup. The Reese Dual-Cam or the Equalizer equivalent does make sense. In my case, if I didn't have the bizarre twisting I have to get my 34' on it's pad, it would make perfect sense for me to buy the Hensley now, since the trailer DOES have enough mass to seriously affect even my 7,000 lb tow rig AND I've figured out and fixed the lurking flaws in my tow vehicle. My Reese does the job nicely, though.

Had I bought a Hensley immediately when I experienced my towing woes, I'd never have found the real causes of my sway problems and corrected them properly. Now, if I choose a Hensley, I know it's for the added safety factor, not a band-aid to try to overcome other engineering flaws inherent in my tow vehicle.

Merely masking the causes of sway with an engineering band-aid (sway controls in general) still has the potential for a major surprise on the highway when you least expect it, and I really have concerns about folks who tow trailers and report "I forgot it was there!". Even when I pull my 2000 lb 16' Scamp with the 7000 lb Excursion, I never "forget it's there". I had a 1500 lb 15' fiberglass camper trailer actually jump the hitch last year at 65mph while I was towing it with the Excursion. It was caused by coupler wear and subsequent failure on a trailer I'd just picked up. That was an exercize in sway control I'm not eager to practice again.

I used to use a very lightweight Reese Dual-Cam setup on my Burro 17' fiberglass trailer with my '94 Toyota 4WD pickup because the pickup was so light in comparison to the trailer. I have switched to an '02 Tundra and '02 Scamp 16' and currently don't even use a friction bar sway control as the Scamp is so well balanced, and the truck is heavy enough with a longer wheelbase and wider track that in over 2,000 miles of towing so far it hasn't given me the slightest indication that it's unstable (yet... and "yet" being the operative term I suspect.)

Once again, I would recommend that anyone who tows a trailer gain a complete understanding of the factors that contribute to sway, minimize those factors to the best of your ability, and THEN decide what sway control system is another necessary piece of the puzzle, and how it will work for you.

Roger
Old 12-27-2005, 07:42 AM   #25
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Once again, I would recommend that anyone who tows a trailer gain a complete understanding of the factors that contribute to sway, minimize those factors to the best of your ability, and THEN decide what sway control system is another necessary piece of the puzzle, and how it will work for you.

Roger
Very well put. In our case I did some research and liked the Hensley because of it's ability to accurately project the pivot point to the rear diff. This as opposed to other hitches with sway bars that don't have the ability to project that point with any accuracy at all.

It's a solid hitch and best of all Mama (who does most of the driving) feels very comfortable with it.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:28 PM   #26
_

. , .
hello folks

a few more thoughts on the hensley arrow hitch apparatus (haha)

while not the most complete evaluation of the haha, trailer life did do a piece back in 95. they towed a silvertube with a really bad t.v. and a better one, using the haha and a sobwd/as setup.

the article can be read here......

http://www.hensleymfg.com/Documents/...ifearticle.pdf

while they tried to be neutral in the review (i think) the words used to describe the towing experience still tend toward hyperbola.....and i imagine they heard from other hitch makers. i suspect threats of withdrawn ad dollars will keep them from doing anything like this again.....with all the big players.

buttercup.....
the link you provide to the drawing is helpful somewhat.....but really only the first drawing which shows the approximate location of the virtual/functional pivot point. the drawing with the hitch 'turned' is incorrect....during turns (rotation/translation) of the hitch, the vpp moves away from this ideal position. one can approximate the new vpp by just extending the to side links forward to an intersection. also the drawing isn't exactly to scale so the vpp location isn't accurate but is does help as a visual aid to understanding the haha.

85mh325.....
you've likely already read/though about anything i might offer here.....

i agree completely with you observation that people towing things need to understand and correct as many control issues as possible....and i'll take it even further, while we can't control the external issues we can try to anticipate some (wind, heavy traffic, poor roads....) and reduce their impact but driving slower changing routes, plans and so on.

however, sh1t happens.

so even with EVERYTHING related to the t.v and trailer optimized, i like knowing that the haha will help me.....'redundant systems' as bebops has noted.

like most here i've driven for many years...and like a few i've riden bikes for just as long........except for the rare "holy sh1t!" moment, none of those years and miles prepares one or allows for practice of emergency behaviors.... once i started tracking a car and racing a bike i was provided with LOTS of opportunities. understanding physics is taken to a new level when g forcess, slip angles, side wall stiffness and so on are sampled over and over and over.

99.9~ % of us will never practice emergency/high velocity/corrective/avoidence behaviors in our AIRSTREAMS......i'd jump at the chance to tow on a closed course, but not with MY OWN trailer.....

so from my view one of the benefits of the haha is that it reduces feedback to the driver that they might suddenly decide to 'overcorrect' for.....

i agree with your "snake oil" analogy and the hensley user testimonials really really turned me off toward the product as did the hensley gatherings that seem to encourage people to tell their stories..... BUT the important difference from snake oil is that the haha isn't smoke, isn't fake and the believers aren't staged or faked.....while it's true most of them may not understand what makes the haha useful....and they may not have other sway issues perfected like you/me......

i even wondered about the misery loves company angle (i spent too much for a hitch so i'm going to get others to do this)......but the truth is when i have spent toooooo much for a product, i've never tried to get others to do the same.....have you?

infact, haha sent me (and all buyers) a box of videos/cds/hats/pens and other orange crap.......which i quickly tossed in the trash....

i only respond/talk about the haha when some asks specifically about it.

ardenrj
""I want the best hitch possible for my set up an F 150 pulling a 19' Bambi. I now have an Ez lift with one friction sway bar and have never felt any sway. Is the Hensley needed for my set up? Would it be way over kill and a waste of money or a big impprovement and add to safety?""

so does ardenrj 'need' a haha, is it over kill? a waste of money? does it add safety?

i would just offer this......

http://www.airforums.com/forum...rol-17986.html

when a single axle trailer blows a tire, drops off the pavement or the driver suddenly overcorrects steering for whatever reason.....where does the trailer go? the hensley does reduce ALL of the negatives in a way that i consider.......priceless.

and i realize this link reeeeeeeeeks of scare tactics, but that really isn't my intent.....rather i'm just showing what can happen and has happened....not that it WILL happen.

cheers
2air'
Old 01-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Hensley hitch

That's a lot of good input. Thanks for all of your opinions and thoughts. Looks like there are quite a few Hensley owners on the road. We are considering the 28 foot Safari SE LS. One good upgrade is that our dealer converts the drum brakes to discs before they leave the dealership. Even with a C2500 8.1 w/ Allison he recommends the Hensley for towing the 28. He also suggested I get rid of the GM installed receiver and install a new Reese as his info on the GM reciever reflects multiple vehicle weld failures. He is, by the way, an engineer as well as an Airstream sales rep and a veteran Airstreamer. Come Feb, when the new floorplans are here, we'll make our decision on the trailer, but I'm thinking the Hensley is a well considered option and the way to go since we'll be towing from Texas to North Carolina frequently, via I-40 most of the way. I got one of their DVD's - guess I'll take the time to view it now.
thanks again all!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
glad we could help!

If you do go with the Hensley, this forum can help with alot of the "first time" Hensley challenges that come up. Sort of like the first time Airstream challanges. The more you use your hitch and Airstream the more you understand how they work together. I still remember the first time I tried to "hook up" by my self...Almost an hour.. . but, as I got more and more practice with the Hensley (and used the instruction book) the time is down to a few minutes and some times I get it on the first try!!!

Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote