Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
HENSLEY CUB w/73 Tradewind

While a 73 Tradewind (25 ft) meets the total weight spec of a Hensley Cub hitch (6000 lbs), I've seen several tongue weight spec's for a 73 Tradewind ranging from 610-630 depending on the floor plan, and an occasional owner stating 670. I'm looking at a 73 Tradewind with a front dinette/fold down bed, which would suggest it might be on the upper end of the tongue weight range.

Best I can tell the Hensley Cub is rated for a 600 lb tongue weight.

What are the implications on Cub hitch performance of the slightly higher tongue weight?

Is anyone using the Cub on a 73 or other early 70s Tradewind?

I've seen cost in the $3000 range for a Hensley Arrow, what are folks paying for the Cub or a Cub package?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
The folks at Hensley answered my questions.

I also learned that at least on the Hensley Cub they have a new "snap up bracket system" which is ~$300 less than the standard jack assembly system. Same Hensley hitch performance.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad View Post
The folks at Hensley answered my questions.

I also learned that at least on the Hensley Cub they have a new "snap up bracket system" which is ~$300 less than the standard jack assembly system. Same Hensley hitch performance.

Snap up bracket systems are not new. They are on almost every weight distributing hitch in the world.

The difference with all these hitches is that they do not have a square stinger in a square receiver box so they do not need a way to change the angles for uneven configurations.

Unhitching a Hensley Arrow/Cub with snap up brackets will be real interesting when the trailer and tow vehicle are not on level ground. The chains will be released leaving the entire off angle load on the hitch bar. When the hitch bar is pulled out of the main head, if the friction is not too great to allow that to happen, the hitch head will bang and drop to one side of the other.

Hitching up will be another experience. There is no way to adjust the angle of the hitch head and the hitch bar will bind in the hitch box. Even with the jacks the Arrow/Cub is known for difficult hitching. With no adjustment feature for the hitch box it will be even more difficult.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Snap up bracket systems are not new. They are on almost every weight distributing hitch in the world.

The difference with all these hitches is that they do not have a square stinger in a square receiver box so they do not need a way to change the angles for uneven configurations.

Unhitching a Hensley Arrow/Cub with snap up brackets will be real interesting when the trailer and tow vehicle are not on level ground. The chains will be released leaving the entire off angle load on the hitch bar. When the hitch bar is pulled out of the main head, if the friction is not too great to allow that to happen, the hitch head will bang and drop to one side of the other.

Hitching up will be another experience. There is no way to adjust the angle of the hitch head and the hitch bar will bind in the hitch box. Even with the jacks the Arrow/Cub is known for difficult hitching. With no adjustment feature for the hitch box it will be even more difficult.

-
Rephrasing, they were described as "new for Hensley".

I had seen other threads commenting on the "difficulty" hitching in less that perfect conditions and asked the rep specifically about hitching/unhitching in a situation where the TV was not level with the trailer (e.g. my driveway).
I was assured this was not a problem and personally tested by the rep. I'll ask some more questions on the next call.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad View Post
Rephrasing, they were described as "new for Hensley".

I had seen other threads commenting on the "difficulty" hitching in less that perfect conditions and asked the rep specifically about hitching/unhitching in a situation where the TV was not level with the trailer (e.g. my driveway).
I was assured this was not a problem and personally tested by the rep. I'll ask some more questions on the next call.

When I ran the company I had a guy working FULL TIME on the phone answering hitching and unhitching problem calls. This was with approximately 10,000 hitches on the road.

I have 3300 hitches on the road and have had 4 calls with the ProPride redesign of the hitch box.

You may want to ask users that have had both an Arrow and now a ProPride 3P hitch rather than take my word OR the Hensley rep's word for it. Just a suggestion.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
What is the weight difference between the Hensley and PPP? I was told the Hensley Cub weighs in at 142 lbs. For either is it correct that the weight of the hitch gets added to the tongue weight of the TT or is the weight of the hitch itself distributed between the TV and TT?

Tags
hensley cub