Old 03-26-2003, 04:30 PM   #15
I looked again at all this and see something may be intersting:

Our trailer is also 31 feet long
your trailer is 7150Lbs dry weigth, tongue weigth 690

Princer: your 27 foot Safari is DW 5440 , TW 730

74SovereignInt: your DW is between 4970 and 5065 Lbs, lighter than Princer, and more than 2000Lbs difference with Mark. Both are 31', but they have grown a lot over the years

What I find interesting is the tongue weigth:

1974 31': 4 models

REAR BATH (twin & double bed): DW 5035 or 5065 Lbs, TW 490 or 495

CENTRAL BATH (twin & double): DW 4975 or 4970 TW 650 or 690

Look at all these differences in tongue weigth:

They have a TW of 690 on a DW 7150 and a 4970.

If Airstream info are correct, I find that really interesting.

This could explain why your trailers are not handling the same. After looking at these numbers, I think even more that Chas is right: your problem may come from tongue weigth.

femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 06:38 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Ok, this has really got me wondering.....

I pulled mine all last summer, with no sway control, and no WD. Just a plain old ball hitch. Trailer and truck just about level. Front end of truck comes up about an inch, maybe less when the trailer is hitched. I pulled about 1100 freeway miles, and no problems, some miles were in some really nasty, rainy weather. Pulled like a dream, a real pleasure to tow.

My question is WHY? The only thing I can think of, based on my experience towing other types of trailers, is those that are having problems have excess weight behind the back axles.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:33 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Pick, my opinion but I think you are an accident waiting to happen. Who would think that a Bambi would go out of conrol on the freeway. Well, we happened to be going downhill, around a corner and a very slow car was in front of us and we had to go around it while in the middle of the curve in the fwy. Our speed was about 50mph. Up until then, it was a dream to pull, no problems, no sway, just like you are discribing except your 31'r will cause a lot more problems since it is longer and weighs more.

Just an observation and something to think about.
Melvin P. Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Austin , Texas

Did you lose it or gain control again? Most single axle trailers, which all Bambi's are, right?, can be the scariest to pull, regardless of length!! My Minuet pulled well with my F-250 and it was a single axle. What were you pulling the Bambi with?

Maybe you should check out Pick's profile, he's got a monster tow vehicle!

Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 10:38 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
My friend had a Isuzu Trooper that was pulling his Bambi. The TT started fishtailing wildly (he was not experienced pulling a trailer) I told him to not hit the car brakes but gently push the brake controller but he panacked and hit it full on. The rig just about did a 360 in the middle of Sunday evening traffic on I80. When it stopped we were totally across the hwy. I unhooked the vehicle from the TT, one person stopped (no one could go by as we had it blocked) and had a small floor jack that I used to lift up the Bambi and we rotated it so it was pointed down the road. We moved the car around and re-hooked. About that time CHP showed up and told us if we could get moving in 5 minutes he would not call a tow truck or give us a ticket. We got it together and slowly made it to the next exit (10 miles) pulled over checked the rig and went the rest of the way home very slowly. Damage was right and left rear of truck was smashed, right and left front of Bambi was smashed, rear quarter of Bambi was smashed where it hit guard rail. It towed ok (amazing). Damage was too great to Bambi and it was totaled by insurance co.

In reviewing this accident I could not think of anything that caused the sway except having to go around a slow moving vehicle while in the middle of a long sweeping turn on the hwy. I am convinced that a Hensley, Pullrite, dual cam or Equal-i-zer would have prevented this. More so the Hensley and Pullrite.

If you have ever been over Donner Summit you can imagine the potential for disaster. We were fortunate that we did not go over the guard rail.

Once you have an experience like this you just shake your head when you hear that no sway is necessary or that a friction plate is adequate.
Melvin P. Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:54 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to JeffandSuzanne
We concur with RoadKingMoe's post. Before we got our Airstream, I had only pulled a cattle trailer built to haul 8 head of cattle. Had a regular ball hitch, and lots of sway. Our used Excella 1000 came with a Hensley and I would never use anything else, now that I've used it. Would I have parted with the $$$$$$$ to buy it new. . .who knows. . .probably not. But, I can honestly say, thanks to our Hensley hitch, we have never had any adverse effect from passing semi's or Texas' crosswinds on I-35! Just because one doesn't run right out and purchase a Hensley doesn't make anyone less of a family man or woman. If the president of Hensley told someone that the person was endangering his family by using some other hitch, or some other effusive pro-Hensley argument, that person shouldn't take it personally. . .he should take it for what it is. . .ADVERTISING! The Hensley is everything they say it is and worth the investment! If it doesn't seem to be "your cup of tea", don't buy it. . .use some other hitch. BUT, if one hasn't towed with a Hensley, don't knock it; you will only embarrass yourself by showing your lack of knowledge!!
Two Hams in a Can, and Madison the Cocker Spaniel in our 1998 30 ft. Excella, Hensley Arrow Hitch, 2001 Red Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab, 8.1L Vortec, Allison Transmission
JeffandSuzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee

What size tires are you running on your Excursion and are they D or E rated?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote