Old 12-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Hensley Arrow transfer to another AS?

We have a 1999 28' Excella with a Reese hitch. My husband is happy with the way it tows, but I am thinking about a Hensley Arrow. Just want to make it as easy and stressless as possible.

If we get the HA now and buy a 25' AS later, will the HA transfer as is or will we need to buy some different parts? And, is it really hard to change from Reese to Hensley and back to Reese when we sell the 28"? We would have help.

I was reading past posts and see that they (HA) offered a $300 discount at the end of last year. I haven't found where they are doing the same this year. It would be nice, but won't stop and getting one in the future.

Pat

Old 12-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Yes and Yes

Yes you will be able to transfer it to another unit and Yes you will probably have to buy another part - the tow bar which is made specifically for your vehicle. If it is the same tow vehicle AND both trailers have the same hieght, you should have nothing more to do.

You can always call Hensley and they can tell you exactly what you will need to do. Also, if you do have to change the tow bar, Hensley will take back the old one in exchange.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
What Buttercup said.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
HA transfer

Exactly what Silvertwinkie said as for what startye1 said, I would agree which the next post should confirm!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Pat---It would be interesting to know how many women initiate the purchase of a HA. We just recieved and installed ours and guess who's idea it was!! I had mentioned it a couple years ago but never really concided it due to the price thinking she would Kill me if I suggested it. Coming home from a trip this fall after 3 days of wind she says, "do you think we ought to get a Hensley?"
To answer your question if you tow with 2 different vehicle you can purchase a second hitch bar if the vehicles have different heights.

If you are the original purchaser and trade tow vehicles or trailers Hensley will exchange your hitch bar free except for freight.

The hitch itself will fit different trailers--it's the hitch bar that that must be changed to mate the tow vehicle with the trailer. pieman
Old 12-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #6
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Ha ah... My wife demande that we get a Hensley and I had no arguements whatsoever! She does most of the driving and if that $3200 prevents a fishtail or an accident, it was well worth it!

BTW, mama just informed me that we wouold be getting another HA for our 54 Cruiser. No problem with me!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
My wife sold one of her motorcycles to pay for the Hensley! That's how important it was to her.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:51 AM   #8
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Our Hensley should arrive around Dec. 14th. My wife is aware that I've "ordered another hitch", but has no idea as to the rationale of why it was ordered or its cost.

GStephens
Old 12-12-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Thanks

Thanks all!

I am smiling after reading your posts.

We have a 28' Excella now, but I think it is closer to 29+'. When we looked at the 25' Classic, it sure looked a lot shorter to me. Anyway, not sure how long we will keep this AS. DH has no problems pulling, backing, etc, but I am a bit overwhelmed with it , and I do want to be able to tow, back, hitch, hook up-I want to be able to do it all and feel comfortable doing so.

I do realize that it is mostly in my head, as our AS is a 1999 WB and a 25' is just as wide.

Thanks for reading as I am thinking on the computer!

Pat
Old 12-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
Our Hensley should arrive around Dec. 14th. My wife is aware that I've "ordered another hitch", but has no idea as to the rationale of why it was ordered or its cost.

GStephens
GStephens---would you mind posting your wifes "E" mail address. This is just to good to keep quiet !!!! pieman
Old 12-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The answer is yes. I have moved my HA to a car trailer and back to the Airstream. It's kind of a pain but worth the effort. If you use your HA with more than one TV or change TV's, you might have to purchase an additional tow bar (about $200) with a different drop. If you get a new TV, Hensley will exchange tow bars.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #12
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Hey Pieman, here is her email address: sweetheartangus@htcomp.net I reread my post. It does look sort of skewed, well .... REALLY SKEWED, doesn't it. It looks awfully chauvensistic and you are correct to call me on it.

Actually, we have a quite open and trusting relationship after a marraige now lasting for 38 years, 6 months and 17 days (but who is counting). Over the years we discussed most all major decisions sooner or later so that if anything happened to either of us the other would have some knowledge of what had been done and how to go about carrying on in the others absence. I guess for many the purchase of a Hensley Arrow would be a major decision. As we've gotten older and as our financial circumstances have improved, we feel less and less the need to discuss every transaction. In ranching, it is not unusual to place at risk or spend thousands of dollars every day so the Hensley is a rather minor investment decision. In our case, since this hitch will be used on other ranch trailers from time to time, I purchased it on the ranch account as a business expense that can also be used to pull the Airstream. My wife doesn't concern herself everytime I purchase some new breeding animals, feed, fertilizer, trailer, tractor or truck for the ranch and I don't ever ask her any questions about the purchases/improvements that she makes for the home or the amount she spends on Christmas gifts for the grandchildren. We may eventually discuss her rationale for some of her purchases and decisions and we may discuss some of the decisions I make from day to day, but then we might not. In neither case is either one of us trying to keep the other in the dark, we just have more important things to do with our spare time at this stage of our life. In the case of the Hensley, we did briefly initiate a discussion about its purchase, but she wasn't all that interested when the conversation was attempted due to her Christmas preparations that she was making at the time. About all that she probably remembers would be the fact that UPS would be delivering a heavy package.

Have a nice day and a MERRY, MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours.
GStephens
Old 12-17-2006, 09:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Gstephens----I hope you know I was kidding about your HA purchase and "Ratting" on you. After 38 years if a couple doesn't have a bond of trust it's to late to start trying. We've been there 45 years and our financials are much the same. Wouldn't trade a day of it for all the HA's in the world!!
pieman
Old 12-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #14
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
Our Hensley should arrive around Dec. 14th. My wife is aware that I've "ordered another hitch", but has no idea as to the rationale of why it was ordered or its cost.GStephens
i thought your post was funny,

and pieman wanting to rat you out, to the wife...

also funny...

however,

you both should know...

your wives have ordered just 'another little mixer' for the holidays..

should arrive any day now...

cheers

2air'

i think these go for 15,000$...
plus shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thenewmixer.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	29867  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote